Acticle(s) How many calories does your body burn a day?

Options
I was wondering this question. I decide to wear my HRM for the day just to get an idea of what I burn in a day. I wanted to get a little bit more information so I googled it. I found these acticles. Some of it is common sense but some of it I didn't know. It also shows how it is so easy to gain weight and it is important to count calories for life because it is so easy to consume more calories then our body needs. Happy reading! :wink:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question457.htm

Replies

• dougsheldon
    Options
    I'm on a weight gaining diet and have been taking in around 2800-3000 calories but keep losing weight. So I used a TDEE calculator and it said my total calories burned per day is around 2800. So yesterday I wore my HRM for 24 hours to see how accurate that was and it came to right around 2800. No wonder I kept losing. So I have my daily calorie intake set to 3500 now. Weight loss (and gain) really does all come down to numbers but unfortunately most people don't know their TDEE and don't keep track of everything they eat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRM's are not meant to give a caloric burn over 24hrs. HRM's only work for caloric burn when your heart rate is elevated. whatever figures you did get from your HRM for a 24 hr period should be taken with a grain of salt, don't rely on that number.
  • dougsheldon
    Options
    Well mine turned out to be just about exactly what my calculated TDEE is.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this question. I decide to wear my HRM for the day just to get an idea of what I burn in a day. I wanted to get a little bit more information so I googled it. I found these acticles. Some of it is common sense but some of it I didn't know. It also shows how it is so easy to gain weight and it is important to count calories for life because it is so easy to consume more calories then our body needs. Happy reading! :wink:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question457.htm

First of all, HRMs are not designed to be worn like that, they are designed to be used during workouts and cardio.

If used the way you used it, the HRM becomes unreliable - the manufacturers of the HRMs state the same.