Heart Rate Monitor question

Options
As we all now HRM is the best way to measure calories burnt.

However, I started wondering how does it work? I mean what is the mechanism to transform heart rate and some information about your body (weight, height and age) into calories?
Does anyone of you came across a good explanation?
Did you find anything interesting in the Internet about that?

I guess it has something to do with blood capacity to transport oxygen but I'm just curious to find out more :smile:

Replies

• edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    As we all now HRM is the best way to measure calories burnt.

However, I started wondering how does it work? I mean what is the mechanism to transform heart rate and some information about your body (weight, height and age) into calories?
    Does anyone of you came across a good explanation?
    Did you find anything interesting in the Internet about that?

I guess it has something to do with blood capacity to transport oxygen but I'm just curious to find out more :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    To maintain a given HR at a certain age/weight/height, you have to be doing a certain amount of work (distance/time) which is measured in joules which can be converted to kilocalories....all in all it takes a lot of math. It's my least favorite part of exercise physiology :tongue: It's not an exact science, but it's really close.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the heart rate monitors at my gym seem to be pretty inaccurate. sometimes it says my HR is higher...sometimes lower! It will even say my HR is 65 when i have been sweating on the elliptical for 30 mins...and my resting HR isnt even 60!!! Is there a way to fix that?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ali, they use averages for the machines. Where the HRMs use your specific numbers. That's where the difference lies. Dunno if there is a way to measure true with these machines, short of doing your own calculation based on the heart rate the machine gives you.

it's a nasty formula that takes your age/weight/height/VO2max/heart rate into account. Songbirdsweety might have it. I did it out once, that was enough for me. I mean, I went to college for engineering and I still hated that formula (course it's been a while, plus I hated the math in engineering, thus the reason I changed to computers). Plus remembering all those numbers is a pain. It's easier just to buy a Heart Rate monitor.