How did you go about beginning?

Options
Hi, I'm Shae! Recently, I've decided to lose weight. I've never done this before, never even crossed my mind honestly until my boyfriend brought it up (in a nice way, don't think he's rude...) and I figure I might as well, it can only make me healthy after all! But how did you go about beginning a diet? Did you plan or did you just do it? Did you begin with just food changes or did you dive head first? Did you worry about nutrients or just the calories?

I'm just trying to be the best I can be, so I'd appreciate the feedback!

Replies

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I found it easiest to start by just logging everything I ate in a day. It helped me see where my calories were coming from and decide where I was willing to change my habits. Once I had my meals figured out, I decided to keep it simple by only giving myself treats on days I exercised. It was an easy way to motivate me, and I could decide if I preferred being lazy or having a cookie. ;) No stress, no huge changes, and best of all, no depriving myself of the things I loved so I could stick with it.
  • shaylynk
    shaylynk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started by just continuing eating what you would, but logging them. You will quickly see where the problem lies and it helps to shape your subconscious decisions about eating. When you see a commercial for a quarter pounder you will not think "OMG I WANT ONE", you will think "That's 600 calories I could enjoy throughout the day!" Seeing as it's equivalent to about half of my calorie goal it's just logic now. Those cravings seem idiotic and you slowly find better foods that you actually enjoy eating.

After changing the way you look at food, it becomes simple. Say you want some BBQ ribs for supper and you don't care about the calories, you know you can just adjust your intake by doing some exercises.

Really to me, everything just becomes logical. I'm not eating crazy healthy, I am just paying attention to what I eat.

AND the very most important advice I can give is that when you do fall off the "logging your food" horse (and you will), don't make such a big deal of it! So what if you forgot, tomorrow's another day. Don't let it get you down. Same with cheat days, don't let going over one day discourage you from your goal. You're only human :)

Good luck! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally started by focusing on eating better and sticking to my calorie goal. I didn't start exercising until after a month or so went by.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I was already working out, so I just increased the workouts and ate a little better. More moving and less junk:)
  • FMcrafter
    Options
    I got the fitbit zip....was doing good...noticed there were other things i could track...did not like the meal tracker...so i looked around the posts and said to use this....first i just logged...then i started making changes for lower calory and salt content
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Number 1) Don't call it a diet. It's a lifestyle changed.
    Number 2) Don't be super restrictive.
    Number 3) Research, research, research!
    Number 4) Ask questions but take it with a grain of salt while comparing it to your own since others will always have their own opinions and they aren't always right.
  • meglizbo
    Options
    Start by just tracking and seeing what you typically eat, and then see where you'd like to make changes! I found I ate a lot more "treats" than I thought I did. If you change one habit at a time it is not as intimidating! Also, if you decide there is a specific way you'd like to eat in terms of general guidelines (whether it is low carb, low fat, vegetarian, paleo, clean eating, whatever you can think you might want to try) please, please, please READ as much as humanly possible about it! A lot of people may offer unsolicited advice about what you put into your body but only you know what works for you and your body, so don't let others discourage you and take it all with a grain of salt!
  • shoc369
    Options
    I just started with the food changes! I figured lowering my calories was enough to start with! No gym for me. I'll add that in later - probably at the 3 month mark. I have been at it for 5 weeks and have lost 13 lbs. I have not gone to the gym, don't drink water, and eat candy every day. I plan on adding in the water here soon. I am by no means perfect, but it works for me! That is the most important thing! It has to work for YOU. I don't worry about my nutrients yet either. My doctor said calories in and calories out, it is as simple as that and take a multi-vitamin every day! I want to lose 100 lbs so I have a ways to go but hopefully I will be able to get to my goal on MY OWN terms. :) If you accept my friend request, you will be able to see my food diary if you want to take a look. Good luck on your journey! :) Stephanie
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm weird compared to these other ppl! Lol! I did the exercise first and thought, "I want Chinese tonight, and I'll just taebo it off later" lmao! Nope! After I figured what I used to eat at a Chinese buffet, 900/1400 calories, for one meal' them trying to push threw a 45/60 minute taebo session with a heart rate monitor, and seem that I burned250 calories, that Chinese is beyond gone! So, if I could go back in time, I would say "log food first, then incorperate exercise!"
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

I wish I'd read it when I started out.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The first step is obviously the resolve that you're going to do it. It won't be easy and it won't be quick. Obviously, if you're posting this question, it looks like you're past that.

The next step I took is reading and research. I read many "success stories". I specifically looked for success stories that matched my story. After reading the stories, I searched for more information about the person. Many times I found blogs detailing their journey.

Once I convinced myself that if other people with my story can do it, so can I, I joined MFP. I spent a few weeks just lurking. I read the forums and realized that this is the group that can help me get started.

The day I decided "I'm gonna do it", I went for a long walk, had a good breakfast and logged my first meal. Initially, I focused on logging and calculating how many calories were in all the foods I ate often. I didn't really limit myself in the beginning. Once I got more educated on the amount of calories and, even more important, which foods kept me full longer, I started changing my daily eating habits.

The one thing you must keep in mind is not to deprive yourself. You can fit anything into your daily calorie allowance if you plan properly.

Good luck on your journey!
  • TNM2014
    TNM2014 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Start by just tracking and seeing what you typically eat, and then see where you'd like to make changes! I found I ate a lot more "treats" than I thought I did. If you change one habit at a time it is not as intimidating! Also, if you decide there is a specific way you'd like to eat in terms of general guidelines (whether it is low carb, low fat, vegetarian, paleo, clean eating, whatever you can think you might want to try) please, please, please READ as much as humanly possible about it! A lot of people may offer unsolicited advice about what you put into your body but only you know what works for you and your body, so don't let others discourage you and take it all with a grain of salt!

This^^^^^:flowerforyou:
  • WonStepAtaTime
    WonStepAtaTime Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I started by just continuing eating what you would, but logging them. You will quickly see where the problem lies and it helps to shape your subconscious decisions about eating. When you see a commercial for a quarter pounder you will not think "OMG I WANT ONE", you will think "That's 600 calories I could enjoy throughout the day!" Seeing as it's equivalent to about half of my calorie goal it's just logic now. Those cravings seem idiotic and you slowly find better foods that you actually enjoy eating.

After changing the way you look at food, it becomes simple. Say you want some BBQ ribs for supper and you don't care about the calories, you know you can just adjust your intake by doing some exercises.

Really to me, everything just becomes logical. I'm not eating crazy healthy, I am just paying attention to what I eat.

AND the very most important advice I can give is that when you do fall off the "logging your food" horse (and you will), don't make such a big deal of it! So what if you forgot, tomorrow's another day. Don't let it get you down. Same with cheat days, don't let going over one day discourage you from your goal. You're only human :)

Good luck! :)

THIS^^^
    Also, Once I saw about one week of my current diet logged, and decided where I wanted to make changes, I only changed one thing per week. (drink more water, add more vegetables to my diet, measure portions, increase physical activity, etc) I found that when I make small changes, I feel less overwhelmed and more likely to stay on track. As opposed to completely overhauling my lifestyle all at once.
    I wish you the best with your journey to a healthier lifestyle. Feel free to add me if you like. We can all use all the help we can get. You can do this!
  • WonStepAtaTime
    WonStepAtaTime Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    haha I didn't see the post prior to my original comment. Very similar to mine. I agree 100%. Especially about reading up on "diets". Go into them informed. Don't just look at the positive reviews. Look at the issues people have had too.
  • zivasak
    Options
    I have just written a post about this and I am copying it here. Planning is definitely key and both nutrients and calories matter.

Make yourself proud!
    You do not have to be great to start but you do have to start to be great!

I am told it takes 21 days to break a habit. Start by giving yourself a 21 day challenge before giving up or, even better, moving on to another 21 day challenge ;)

Buy a pocket diary to write feelings, goals, motivational quotes, workouts for the week and meal ideas.

Buy a calendar and circle benchmark dates. When do you want to look the best you can be? Is there a graduation ceremony coming up or another celebration? Are you starting a new job in a few months? Are you planning to visit family members or friends soon or are they coming over? Meeting the In-Laws in a couple of months? Circle all these dates with your predictions and anticipate positive reactions and feedback.

Start with what you put in your mouth by banning sugar, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, soda and fruits ( I know I am going to make a few friends with this but it is only 21 days....to start with)

Start with eating 90% of homecooked meals. Bring your lunch to work as you plan for the whole week on Sundays. Make it easy: leftovers for next day's lunch, boil all your eggs for breakfast in advance,….

If you keep thinking about food every 2 hours, stick to three meals a day every 5-6 hours for at least 21 days. Eat well, eat clean within your calorie budget limit. You are not an athlete nor a bodybuilder! You might go overboard with 6 meals a day and your insuline might go crazy as well as your waistline. Help your dearest hormone of all. No you won't die of starvation! There is some excess energy your body has to deplete first (i.e. the stored fat). Food is fuel, nothing else.

Buy a food scale

Start by getting a BPA free bottle, fill it with water and carry it everywhere. Drink up to half an hour before your meal and one hour after your meal not to disrupt digestion. Green tea is good. Alcohol is not what your body needs at this stage, keep it for when you give up after 21 days...just in case.

Start with research. Learn about the Glycemic Index, food combinations, hormones and why we are told to do one thing rather than another and take notes in your diary, in the section entitled: What I Learned Today. Do also write the changes you need to make as a consequence.

Start with an excercise plan and stick to eat. Remember, it is only 21 days...for now. Don't see it as moving! See it as Training! What is your goal? Losing fat? Sculpting your body? Research workouts that will help you get started and bring your notes and a worksheet to the gym.

Start with weight training! Yes especially las chicas and at least 3 times a week. The plan is not to look like gladiators but if you want your hormones to work for you, step into that room. The big guys are friendly and helpful. There is this kind of respect and understanding for beginners. Remember they started too and they appreciate how daunting it is for you.

Start by getting 8 hours of sleep.

Start by reading success stories

Start by having a visualization board with cut outs from magazines, quotes, the cute outfit you will wear, the killer legs/abs/butt/all of the above. Remember: where the mind goes, the body follows!

Your 21 days are up? Treat yourself! No cheat meals! No pub crawling! Get a new workout gear, a beautiful outfit, a new haircut,.....something to top up your progress. If you feel like quitting, think about why you started!

Now onto the next 21 days!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Number 1) Don't call it a diet. It's a lifestyle changed.
    Number 2) Don't be super restrictive.
    Number 3) Research, research, research!
    Number 4) Ask questions but take it with a grain of salt while comparing it to your own since others will always have their own opinions and they aren't always right.

This worked for me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    First start with a conservative goal say 1 pound per week. Also, don't assume you are sedentary as most people fall into the next category up so choose that first, you can always move it to a lower activity level later.

As to eating, start out eating what you do now, but measure it, preferably weighing the solids and using measuring cups and spoons for the liquids. Doing this try to stay within your calories, which by the way include both your calorie goal and the calories burned in any exercise you do which is added on. Once you can stay at your daily calories (yes that is a goal to reach and not exceed, not something to seek to stay way below), then you can start making other changes. Ideally only one or two at a time. Some will come naturally as you can eat more of certain foods and be fuller than of others. Others will be changing to something completely different.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I started a zumba class once a week to get out of the house and try and have some "me" time after having two kids. Then it all grew from there. Its all lifestyle changes for me vs diet.