Ridiculous clothing sizing in shops.

Options
124»

Replies

• oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. Nothing like looking at yourself in the mirror, thinking "I look good," then going to the store to treat yourself to a new pair of jeans only to find the manufacturer doesn't think you look good enough to fit in their clothes. :P We can't define ourselves by the size of our clothes anymore than by the number on the scale. You know the work you put in. Wear what you know you deserve to wear and forget about the designers!
  • msgina13
    msgina13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is a marketing ploy. Designers create their own sizes so that women will buy their clothes because if they size the clothes larger then women will feel good about the brand because they wear a smaller size in their brand and want to buy it. Others cater to the younger woman who's body is different than the woman in her 40's and 50's etc. It's stupid and there is no consistency in anything anymore.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I tried on a pair of vintage bell bottoms from the 70's & could pull them up, but I couldn't even come close to buttoning or zippering them. I think the pants were a 9/10 or 9/11.

In current jeans I'm anywhere from a 10-14 & pants 8-10.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use to work at a clothing store. I watch this chick, very busty, try on a size medium shirt. She looked at me said "it's too small." I offered to get her a large. She replied, "no, I don't wear large."

Obviously you do in that shirt!!
  • klalsaleh
    klalsaleh Posts: 13
    Options
    yep...i know what you mean. that why i wear boys clothing or mens if i can find something small enough...i do wear girl clothing but it takes a lot more work to find the right size...its either too tight or too loose in my experience...for example all my workout pants have to have a string cuz the no string pants are always too big in the waist and fit tight on my thighs....i cant run like that! i dont why they make us women suffer so much in the clothing dept. its a shame!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    When i was 17 i weighed 115 lbs and wore a junior 11, im 53 now and weigh 125 and wear a 4-6. But none of our hip huggers had stretch so we didnt have muffin top :)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    At H&M here (Korea), one size 32 shorts fit me and another in the same store wouldn't go past my knees. Besides that, I wear an American Medium but here I wear an XL or XXL.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    I wish womens clothing ran like mens does. If your a 36/32 then your a 36/32. I'm a size 6-10. I just want to see a cute pair of pants in the cut I like grab my size and have it FIT! I hate buying new clothes because I have to grab 3 of the same pants every time. Size I think I am and 1 bigger and 1 smaller. Same with tops. I have S M L in my closet.
  • CMB1979
    Options
    I wish womens clothing ran like mens does. If your a 36/32 then your a 36/32.

100% UNTRUE. One brand's 32 will be a different size than another brand's 32.
  • johnny7625
    Options
    you look awesome don't mind those tags cause they are all different last week i had the same problem with my t-shirts i bought 3 and they were the same brand and one was too small :(
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wish womens clothing ran like mens does. If your a 36/32 then your a 36/32. I'm a size 6-10. I just want to see a cute pair of pants in the cut I like grab my size and have it FIT! I hate buying new clothes because I have to grab 3 of the same pants every time. Size I think I am and 1 bigger and 1 smaller. Same with tops. I have S M L in my closet.
    Not really. My fiance has to try on all sorts of sizes if he buys a different style or brand. He can wear 34 in some, 32 in others.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's drives me bonkers that I can't just walk into a store, knowing what size I'll need, and pick out clothes and leave. I have to spend 30 mins trying on a million different sizes.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    These are all true.
    And as far as plus sizes go, I swear there is a point where they just start making things longer.

LMAO... I really used to think that the plus size clothing figured if you were wide then you had to be tall... I am a whopping 5'5" so that so didn't work for me, lots of dragging hems...

don't agree :-) plus sizes tend to be short. I am rarely able to buy trousers.

HOWEVER ........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What annoys me most is the lack of fitness clothing available in larger sizes. Ridiculed for being fat, but when we want to do something about it, no clothes available!
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Oh and H&M ... their clothes run really small!
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just stick to the One size fits all section! :flowerforyou:
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh and H&M ... their clothes run really small!

Honestly I love H&M. It's one of the few stores where I feel like I'm at least buying somewhat closer to a "true" size. I have a 24" waist and fit into a 24 or 25 for their jeans. Most stores I either don't fit the sizes or I know it's severly vanity sized (size 00 is too big for me at the Limited and that's just ridiculous).
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    So glad i shop online lol. I check companies own sizing charts. A big thing is the edgy shops use Junior sizing not womens sizing which is about 1-1.5 size smaller. Standardized sizing should be mandated. I read why they do that though. If a woman can fit into a size 6 in 1 brand, but a size 8 in another they suspect she would buy the 6 for sake of self esteem even though they are the same size pants.

As for the plus size clothes <grrrr> I was a 20 pants, 24/26 top for over 20 years and I used to cry everytime i had to buy new clothes. Gosh its like they made em all out of grannies curtains. I still in a larger tops as the girls are still pretty big ( 16 tops, 10 bottoms) and I still cant find a decently made sports bra for a reasonable price) I cant even imagine trying to get one when i was bigger. I had just used my normal ones n held my forearms over em to keep em down while i worked out lol
  • CMB1979
    Options
    At least at H&M, I can get clothes that are a 'little' bigger than other Korean stores.

Otherwise, I'd have to go naked or wear hiking pants (like older Koreans). I can't fit into Korean jeans like this:

m8vWdJnrLMCjKbqppi9kLYw.jpg

...and this is the current style. I call it tourniquet chic.