I've never not been overweight!

I mean, maybe once when I was just a little tike I was a good average size. But since 11 or 12 years old all I can remember is my mother shoving boxes of honey buns in my face to keep me out of her hair. Not that my current situation is the fault of anyone but myself, but it certainly does help paint the picture. My name is Lucy, I'm 23 years old, wifey of 6 years and mommy to four little munchkins.

I have never been the thin girl and honestly I can't say that I want to actually be skinny, I love having curves, I just want them to be more defined. I also just want to run and play with my kids at the park this summer without having to stop every 30 seconds for a breath. Plus, I know that by genetic predisposition (I am Oglala Lakota) I am more prone for diabetes, high blood pressure, heart conditions and various other health risks that have plagued my people for so long. I don't want to be that 50 year old mom who can barely get around the house or may never get to see her grandkids because a snickers was more important.

I have yo-yo dieted since high school, starving myself for weeks then binging and gaining even more weight. Having four people come out of my body hasn't helped either, I allowed myself to eat what I wanted during every pregnancy... gaining probably 70 lbs all together. But I have always been a firm believer in education, the more you know about something the easier it is to combat it.

I have been eating healthier, gone vegetarian, no soda, minimal processed foods and workout 5-6 days a week. It has been almost 7 weeks, the longest I have ever stuck with a diet and exercise regimen and I have lost 34 lbs. YAY! I never would have thought I could lose so much just by cutting out junk food and exercising. And believe it or not I'm eating more now than I ever have on a previous diet, I'm just eating healthy now! Obesity is a battle I will fight for life and it is a battle I will win! If your about progress, knowledge, love, passion and mind/body/spirit health, add me. Let's motivate each other!!! We can do this <3

Replies

• Hi Lucy

Good for you taking action to sort out your health before the illnesses show. I'm also doing the same though starting a lot later in life. Welcome aboard.