A1C increased with weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your A1c is an average of your last 3 months of blood sugars. You should check your blood sugar daily -- first thing in the AM and before and after random meals to see how the foods you are eating are affecting your blood sugars. Lower your carbs, stay away from processed foods and simple carbs (cookies, cakes, white rice pasta, etc.) and try and have a bit of protein and fat with your carbs at every meal and snack. Exercise is key, but make sure if you are exercising outside that you have some sort of snack with you in case your blood sugars drop too fast.

the above and your pancreas could be working less efficiently. Especially since you are type 1 DM.
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your A1c is an average of your last 3 months of blood sugars. You should check your blood sugar daily -- first thing in the AM and before and after random meals to see how the foods you are eating are affecting your blood sugars. Lower your carbs, stay away from processed foods and simple carbs (cookies, cakes, white rice pasta, etc.) and try and have a bit of protein and fat with your carbs at every meal and snack. Exercise is key, but make sure if you are exercising outside that you have some sort of snack with you in case your blood sugars drop too fast.

the above and your pancreas could be working less efficiently. Especially since you are type 1 DM.

oops sorry I assumed you were diagnosed as a juvenile.
  • guillermina99515
    Options
    this is very strange you mentioned this. Back in the beginning of december i was 217, today at the doctor's i was 189, yet my a1c has gone to 10.1 which really perplexes me because i've lost so much weight. Sure, i cheated, here and there, we all do, but not on the same scale that i used to. It's as though my pancreas has shut down. Most type 2 diabetics, when they lose weight, and especially the way i did, i'm not even considered obese any longer, just 17lbs overweight, far less than most who walk the streets. I've been so proud of how i did this without taking one diet pill. My doctor was really happy with my weight loss, but also didn't understand what's with my a1c numbers. From the beginnng, i've suspected i was a type 1, and they INSIST I"m a type 2. If i so much as to eat an orange without taking insulin, my blood sugar spikes, and STAYS high. So I don't understand it either, the only explanation i can give you or anyone else is diabetes is a progressive disease; and it's progressing fast. How else can you explain such a thing?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone: This is my first time posting, but I wanted to get some opinions about what is going on with my body. I know that many of you might have some knowledge of diabetes.

I am a 27 year-old diabetic. I was told that I have signs of insulin resistance from about age 14. I have been overweight most of my life. I currently weigh about 235 and am a 5'10" . My A1C is currently 11.2. About a year ago, I weighed about 275 and my A1C was about 10.3. I have adopted a bit of an exercise routine, I just started walking and my goal was about 4 hours a week from doing just about nothing when I weighed 275 or more (my highest weight was 294 about 6-7 years ago).

My question, is why am I getting higher numbers now, after watching what I eat more closely, and losing weight, than I did when I weighed more? I have been goggling and trying to find answers, but it doesn't seem that anyone has been talking about it. I really just want to find an answer. I am getting more frustrated every day! Please help!

With Diabetes and Insulin Resistance, weight loss is NOT the only thing that matters.

Carbs are not your friend at this point. You have to severely watch your carb intake (not the ADA intake either).

My A1C was where yours is at today. Currently, down to 5.2

I eat a high fat, moderate protein, lower carb way of eating that works for me. Try it for 30 days, it might work for you too!!

Friend me if you want.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you probably need to eat 5-6small meals a day protein first,carbs second, fat third. If you eat every 3-4hrs and keep your calories between 250-350 and protein being the biggest portion of each meal tour body should reach a state of homeostasis. This will help keep your blood sugar stable.
    I would also suggest strength training to help lose body fat and retain some of the muscle you already have.

If the OP is like me, this will not help him..

Higher fat and protein..................lower on the carbs.

Eating meats with fats on them for protein and fat..............lots of green leafy vegetables for carbs along with berries and melons for fruits.

Nuts and seeds are your snacking friend.

I brought my A1C down drastically in about 3 months using this approach and have been able to be medication free as long as I eat along these lines.

Of course during the summer when other fruits and vegetables are in season I eat a lot of those to include peaches, pears, grapes, apples, etc.......