Gaining weight? eating disorder recovery?

Options
Im female, 21
5 foot 10 inches
53 kg (underweight)

To maintain my weight its saying i need to eat at least 2200 calories per day but i really struggle with it. Im recovering from some form of eating disorder, but im trying my best to eat more. I work in a hospital 40 hours a week so i class my activity as active, since im constantly on my feet walking back/forth on the ward, so im always doing something!

I also exercise once a day, cardio on my exercise bike for 30-60 mins a day depending on how much time i get

Could you please check my diary to see if i am eating healthy/enough?
This week i havent been doing very well, some advice would be really helpful :)

Does 2200 calories seem right? should i be eating my net calories?

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    2200 cals seems right. I'm 6' and lightly active and should eat about that much to maintain.
    You should eat your net cals back, but MFP is notorious for saying that you burn more exercise cals than you do. I try to eat half of them back.
    You don't eat dinner? I think you should have another meal (your food options look good though, imo)
    As a former ED, I wish you the best!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If you are on your feet all day working in a hospital then unless you simply enjoy the cardio it probably isn't necessary. What you are missing is some form of strength training. It doesn't have to be weight lifting, but that is a very effective form of exercise. If you have been suffering from an ED then you probably don't have much in the way of muscle mass and that needs to be corrected. Get plenty of protein and fats and lift (or do a body weight program) 3 days a week. You will see yourself get stronger and more fit. It has worked for friends and family.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    As above I would reduce your cardio and introduce some weight training. Emotionally speaking you might find it easier to gain weight as muscle rather than fat?
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Im female, 21
    5 foot 10 inches
    53 kg (underweight)

To maintain my weight its saying i need to eat at least 2200 calories per day but i really struggle with it. Im recovering from some form of eating disorder, but im trying my best to eat more. I work in a hospital 40 hours a week so i class my activity as active, since im constantly on my feet walking back/forth on the ward, so im always doing something!

I also exercise once a day, cardio on my exercise bike for 30-60 mins a day depending on how much time i get

Could you please check my diary to see if i am eating healthy/enough?
    This week i havent been doing very well, some advice would be really helpful :)

Does 2200 calories seem right? should i be eating my net calories?

Thanks in advance x

Your TDEE is 1647 calories a day to maintain being sedentary. With a active job that could be much higher.

You can calculate your TDEE here.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Negative_X
    Options
    Looking at your diary, if I had to guess, your sugar is probably a bit on the high side. Try to stay below 50 grams a day. But otherwise it doesn't look too bad.

Also, if you're underweight, try to go easy on your exercises. I know they probably make you feel good, but if you're having a hard time meeting your minimum caloric needs a day to gain weight, any added in cardio is only going to compound the problem.

If you must to do cardio, keep it light and under 30 minutes.

I'm currently working with someone else who has/had a eating disorder and the key that has helped her, is eating multiple, small meals throughout the day. If you're working a hectic job at a hospital, I'd pack yourself quick & easy healthy snacks to bring in with you and just constantly be snacking on something throughout the day.

Get a Pedometer as well. This will tell you exactly how many steps you're taking per day at your job and from there, you can more accurately calculate how many more calories, on top of your 1,647 caloric base, you need to be eating per day.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Looking at your diary, if I had to guess, your sugar is probably a bit on the high side. Try to stay below 50 grams a day. But otherwise it doesn't look too bad.

Also, if you're underweight, try to go easy on your exercises. I know they probably make you feel good, but if you're having a hard time meeting your minimum caloric needs a day to gain weight, any added in cardio is only going to compound the problem.

I'm currently working with someone else who has/had a eating disorder and the key that has helped her, is eating multiple, small meals throughout the day. If you're working a hectic job at a hospital, I'd pack yourself quick & easy healthy snacks to bring in with you and just constantly be snacking on something throughout the day.

Get a Pedometer as well. This will tell you exactly how many steps you're taking per day at your job and from there, you can more accurately calculate how many more calories, on top of your 1,647 caloric base needs, you need to be eating per day.

Why would you tell someone who is trying to gain weight to cut back on sugar? Yes, she needs fats and protein, but I wouldn't suggest counting sugar to someone struggling to hit her calorie goals. The focus by even the American Heart Association on sugar is for reasons of getting too many calories.
  • Negative_X
    Options

Get a Pedometer as well. This will tell you exactly how many steps you're taking per day at your job and from there, you can more accurately calculate how many more calories, on top of your 1,647 caloric base needs, you need to be eating per day.

Why would you tell someone who is trying to gain weight to cut back on sugar? Yes, she needs fats and protein, but I wouldn't suggest counting sugar to someone struggling to hit her calorie goals. The focus by even the American Heart Association on sugar is for reasons of getting too many calories.

Because she asked about how healthy she is eating. High amounts of sugar is NOT healthy for you and can contribute to all sorts of inflammatory diseases in the long term, including heart disease and diabetes.

There are plenty of other, easy ways to get your calories. Such as natural peanut butter, nuts & avocados and just eating regularly throughout the day.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Because she asked about how healthy she is eating. High amounts of sugar is NOT healthy for you and can contribute to all sorts of inflammatory diseases in the long term, including heart disease and diabetes.

There are plenty of other, easy ways to get your calories. Such as natural peanut butter, nuts & avocados and just eating regularly throughout the day.

OP - ignore this. It's pseudoscience and scare mongering.

You do need to get your fats up. A low fat diet is counterproductive, was abandoned in the 90s even for losing weight, and actually will endanger your health. The treats you're eating, not so much.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

You do need to get your fats up. A low fat diet is counterproductive, was abandoned in the 90s even for losing weight, and actually will endanger your health. The treats you're eating, not so much.
    Agreed^ Telling a recovering ED sufferer to restrict a food group/macro etc is well not the best advice and after going over OP's food diary I don't see an unreasonable or excessive amount of snacking or sugar or fats.

here are some links for you OP...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

ETA: I also recommend Google nutrient/calorie dense foods.

Also introducing protein shakes add things like yoghurt, berries, banana, seeds etc it is a great way to bump up your calories and protein if you are having difficulty with large portion sizes.

Lastly as mentioned lifting is a great option, look into Starting strength or new rules of lifting.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Agreed^ Telling a recovering ED sufferer to restrict a food group/macro etc is well not the best advice and after going over OP's food diary I don't see an unreasonable or excessive amount of snacking or sugar or fats.

here are some links for you OP...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Listen to these guys, OP.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Get a Pedometer as well. This will tell you exactly how many steps you're taking per day at your job and from there, you can more accurately calculate how many more calories, on top of your 1,647 caloric base, you need to be eating per day.

OP.

Ignore this guy's advice on your diet and calorie information. Putting a number out there that is FAR below your TDEE is counter-productive and, frankly, useless information. You don't give a number that is 800 calories LESS than the target goal to someone who is struggling with an ED. It's ridiculous. Do you know nothing of triggers?

You don't need a pedometer to count your steps. Don't give yourself anything that could lead to any sort of obsession about hitting a steps per day goal. You should cut back on the biking because it will make it even harder for you to eat in a surplus. If there is any chance you can switch to a strength training program, it will help you. Take it from someone who is 5'7" and once struggled to get up to 48 kg (106 pounds, my mother rejoiced) before I beat this awful disease. Strength training and less cardio is a big step in changing the ED mindset.

You are absolutely allowed to eat sweets. You are absolutely allowed to eat carbs. 50 grams of sugar doesn't matter squat to you. I hit 73 grams the other day. I also was over 170 grams of protein. (I don't track my food as I am bulking as well. I track it occasionally to check in on my macros, my diet is pretty close to the same everyday, including the ice cream).
  • NiaomiTS
    Options
    Honestly, as your underweight I would just concentrate on eating enough calories. You really don't have to eat that much to get to 2200 cals. Chose calorie dense foods such as cheese and chocolate etc . Yes these may be 'unhealthy' but you have to consider that being underweight is also 'unhealthy'. Its not good for you believe me ive been there !
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys, any idea how much weight i ideally need too gain? :(
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys, any idea how much weight i ideally need too gain? :(
    People could and probably will give you estimates based on things like BMI or BF% but I would seek professional help for this question.

The MFP community supports recovering ED sufferers.

Good luck OP!:flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    People could and probably give you estimates based on things like BMI or BF% but I would seek professional help for this question.

^ this:flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Just hit your calories and strength train to add the muscle back to you. What your ideal weight is will be between you and your doctor as there is quite a range.

Is the scale triggering to you? If so, then throw it out. Instead, worry about the habits that will help you recover and reminding yourself every day that you are beautiful and deserve to be healthy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    People could and probably give you estimates based on things like BMI or BF% but I would seek professional help for this question.

^ this:flowerforyou:

+1
  • Ophidion
    Options

Just hit your calories and strength train to add the muscle back to you. What your ideal weight is will be between you and your doctor as there is quite a range.

Is the scale triggering to you? If so, then throw it out. Instead, worry about the habits that will help you recover and reminding yourself every day that you are beautiful and deserve to be healthy.
    So much this, reinforce positive habits and remove any that are having a negative impact on your recovery.

Especially remember everyday that you are beautiful and deserve to be healthy
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i dont have scales at home, monitor my weight when i have to go in to have my thyroid checked (overactive) used to have scales but threw them out
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What SoaB14 and Ophidion said...

...and everyone else too (in case I missed anyone else)...

...but not what "restrict sugar guy" said. There *may* be a place for that advice...somewhere...but it certainly isn't in this case.

As for the ideal weight, I wouldn't even think about that yet. Instead, focus on making progress *towards* that ideal weight now (whatever it is), which is obviously heavier than you are now. Also, start/continue good habits for reasonable exercise (for health reasons).

You're going to need consistency and patience. And if you find yourself unable to make progress for whatever psychological or physical reasons, don't hesitate to talk with your doctor.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou: