Fit, Fine and Nearly Sixty!

Options
The title of this thread, Fit, Fine and Nearly Sixty is a play on the title of an inspirational movie called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Truth is, I started to post the title, "Fat, Stressed, and Over Fifty" when I realized that title is neither motivational nor supportive---to myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here's the deal. I am nearly 60 years old. I deal with quite a bit of stress in my life. And I am not vibrantly well. And I want to be.

Quick about me: 58 1/2 years old. Married, two adult sons. Caregiver to my disabled adult older son, 23, who has autism and really disabling chronic Lyme Disease. Support to my 99-year-old MIL in nursing home; only child to aging parents about to move into independent senior living. I'm the middle of a caregiving sandwich, for sure!

In the interests of staying focused on the positive: I have a lovely supportive husband who enabled me to retire early from a career in the health field so I could take care of the home front. I am very active in my synagogue faith community, and that brings me a great deal of comfort and support, as I have no extended family.

My goal is to focus on the process and let the results come in their own good time. To develop a caring, loving relationship with my body. To nurture habits that are supportive for the rest of my life. TO BECOME FIT AND FINE BY SIXTY!!!!!!!

To that end, I will:

1. Do some deliberate, mindful activity 5 days out of 7.
2. Log my food here on my fitness pal.
3. Do something restorative and nurturing for myself on a conscious basis as needed. (Note to self: this week, make a list of such things for when the time is right.)
4. Be kind, exercise kindly self-discipline.

Today: 1 hour gentle yoga class.

Be back later to log how the day went. Namaste and shalom!

Roseygirl

Replies

• on_a_lark
    on_a_lark Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good going, Roseygirl! I'm with you all the way. ~Linda
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
    It IS possible!
    I'm nearly 60 (next month) and nearly at my goal which is 120. I've been hovering between 122-125.
    I workout 6x a week and walk on the 7th day with my husband.
    I eat mostly well with some chocolate, booze and other treats thrown in cause I want balance (and yummy stuff).
    I feel great and brought some bad cholesterol down to normal.
    I have lots of energy and sleep well.
    I have fun playing with my 2 granddaughters.
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Day 1: completed food diary for the day; did gentle yoga this morning; inspiring meeting at shul; emotional challenge this evening to see my beautiful son so sick with mental illness. This is what a friend of mine calls, "a G-d-sized problem." I remain determined to take as exquisite care of myself as possible, for the sake of my family who depend on me, and because I must honor the Divine Spark that is my own soul. This is my journey to embrace, such as it is.

Roseygirl1
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    So today I plan on spending two hours at the gym. One hour of chair yoga and one hour of silver sneakers cardio. I need this for my mental and physical health. It is very challenging to deal with a very ill child, especially when that child is an adult and has mental illness. The gift of such a challenge, however, is that it makes you focus small, one day at a time, one moment at a time. You learn to appreciate a moment of peace with deep gratitude.

It is my intention to stay grounded in self-care while I am present to my son and his illness. I do no one a favor if I let stress take over.

I had my breakfast of yogurt, berries and brazil nuts. I am going to get ready for the gym now. My son is still sleeping. He needs the rest and I need my two hours to myself.

I will have homemade chicken soup for lunch (good for what ails you! Lots of veggies!). Don't know about dinner yet. Back tonight for final report.

Roseygirl1
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Thank G-d, my son had a little better day today. We'll take it. Still sick but not so paranoid. He's actually going to go bowling tonight. Yay!

I feel good about my activity today. Two hours at the Y, chair yoga followed by silver sneakers cardio. The cardio part was easy, but the weights and band was challenging. I need to work on my strength!

Tomorrow I have a massage scheduled in the afternoon. Looking forward to the relaxation, and glad I am taking care of myself.

G'night.

Roseygirl1
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Tough day: my son had that nasty GI virus with a lot of vomiting. Nursed him all day----gave myself Stairmaster minutes for how many trips up and down the stairs I made! Thank G-d, he's feeling better this evening. Able to take nighttime meds and eat an orange and a banana in the latter part of the day.

I tracked and followed my plan.

Tomorrow I plan to get to the Y by 7:45 am for a Zumba Gold class followed by chair yoga.

I'm proud of myself for not letting my anxiety be an excuse to eat. I feel so much better just being on my own team.

Rosey
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Hi Rosey,

I just want to say that I admire your strength and positive outlook! I am a 36 year old mom of 2, a 6-1/2 yr old daughter on the spectrum and a 5-1/2 year old son. I know how much harder our kids with autism have to work to learn and grow compared to their siblings and my heart goes out to your son who on top of this has to deal with the pain and difficulties of Lyme disease as well.

I don't often circle back to the treads that I comment on because I feel like I have to dig around to find them but if you want an extra friend on here for support then please add me. I keep up with my news feed daily and my diary is wide open (for better or worse)

I wish you the energy & time to meet your goals, best wishes, Kristin :flowerforyou:
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Thanks for dropping in.....we families who have special needs kids have quite the challenge. My son was doing really well until the Lyme got him---that's what disabled him, far more than his autism. I hope to hear more about you and your family. My two kids are also close together in age---they were 18 months apart almost to the day. They are very close. I'm fortunate in that.

Today has been good so far. Greg is over his GI bug, is taking his meds and eating well. Mentally, he seems a little better, too. He's just very very tired.

I went to the Y this morning and did 15 minutes with weights, then took a 45 min. spin class, which was a great pleasure, as I used to be a long distance cyclist. I think spin class might the key for me to get into some reasonable semblance of shape.

I'm very proud of myself for keeping my head, taking care of myself, and not using stress as an excuse to binge. *grin* Of course the day isn't over.

Rosey
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Plan for today:

1. NIA class at 8:30 am.
    2. Bible Study at noon.
    3. Quick trip to Coop for vegetables: Japanese sweet potatoes, red cabbage, brussel sprouts, leaf lettuce for "sandwiches."
    4. Dinner: some kind of fish, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts

Greg had a better day yesterday. We'll see how today goes! The main thing is for me to care of myself as best I can no matter what. I am very proud of myself for making this time for me. I did have to cancel my massage but I'm going to reschedule RIGHT NOW.

Make it a great day!
    Rosey
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    great post! I'm 52, so a little younger than you, but not much. My husband will be 58 tomorrow. We've taken this weight loss journey together and are each 100 lbs lighter than we were a year ago. You've got this!
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Thanks for stopping by and the encouragement, w2bab. Much appreciated!

Today is better, my GI bug has come and gone. Went to the farmer's market this morning and came home with goodies: arugula and spicy salad greens; baking apples and fresh heavy cream for making baked apples with whipped cream for dessert tonight; scallops and handmade pasta for dinner, carrots and eggs. I love shopping the farmer's market! So inspiring for a weary cook!

Greg is a little better today. It's been a hell of a week.

Since I'm still tired from being ill, I'm not exercising today and what a difference that makes in the calories! Will need to plan some activity for tomorrow.

Rosey
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Good morning! It's good to report that the past couple of days, Greg has been doing better. Yesterday he seemed almost his usual self. Patience: time will tell.

Today my plan is: NIA class followed by chair yoga. I wish the schedule were the other way 'round but alas.....I will have to warm up my creaky body on my own. I need an extended warmup in order not to injure myself. Especially warming up the spine.

There is no excuse not to treat my body as the rare and singular gift it is. Knee and hip replacements notwithstanding, this, baby, is it.

Rosey
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're doing great! You ARE in a big sandwich of stress.
    Congrats on your changes
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    Great goals! Here's hoping you are able to stay with it all the way!
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Lost my self-care habit for a bit. My son had a mental illness crash and the stress caught up with me. Threw it all to the winds, feeling like it just takes too much strength and energy to care for others so actively and not me.

That's just my life. It isn't easy. But my belief is that we are all souls on a journey, and that each of us has a unique "soul curriculum." The gentler and the more accepting we are of our journeys, the more dedicated to the learning life brings us, the more meaning in our lives.

Today I am picking myself up and moving on. Lessons learned:

1. Must stay on autoimmune diet to avoid spine pain/arthritis flare. (Painful lesson...AGAIN!)
    2. Must make time each day to get away from the house and do something for myself. Today it will be a short workout in the pool.
    3. Take time at night for formal meditation/relaxation/winding down. Tea, gentle relaxation yoga, bath.

Today: breakfast-beet and beef soup, raw shaved brussel sprout salad, lacto-fermented carrots.
    lunch-sardines, carrot-parsnip "noodles", raw greens, avocado
    dinner-steak, fried plantains, cooked spinach
    evening snack-coconut cream and strawberry "ice cream"
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    I just finished the most amazing book about diet and lifestyle for autoimmune patients: THE PALEO APPROACH by Sara Ballantyne. (I think that's the author)

GREAT science. Very motivating for me to stay with the autoimmune diet protocol and not fall off the wagon. Fortunately, I'm one of those who gets symptomatic quickly with gluten but gets better quickly, too, on the autoimmune protocol.

I'm not logging my food for now but I am planning to keep up this thread.

B: cooked beet greens, 1/2 Japanese sweet potato, chicken meat
    L: turkey, lettuce, avocado, bacon
    D: lamb, spaghetti squash, green salad with evoo and acv, avocado.

Am making plans with friends to spend a day at Kripalu in the next month. I may go sooner. It is very clear to me that I need as many little mini-breaks as I can afford. Last week I was close to empty. I feel better today.

Rosey
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Your goals and the amount of yourself that you give to others is admirable.
    Keep on keeping on. Your diet looks amazingly healthy and I love avocado and sweet potatoes too.
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Thanks, Graelwyn!

Today I did 15 minutes of a walk exercise with 3 lb. dumbbells. I didn't sleep well last night and I am beginning to understand the problems I've caused myself from pushing too hard under the circumstances I live with. (Like doing Crossfit when I needed to recover from surgery and Lyme Disease! Duh!) So today's "exercise" doesn't seem like anything according to my old yardstick but I feel that I need rest today. And I am choosing to think it is a good thing to be kind and gentle to my body and to listen thoughtfully to it.

B: small piece of beef liver, cooked golden and red beets, 1/2 Japanese sweet potato.
    L: canned salmon, cooked spinach, 1/2 Japanese sweet potato
    D: homemade plantain wraps, shredded chicken with cooked onion, guacamole

That's the plan, Stan. And a nap.

Rosey
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    It's comforting to find that I'm losing weight even though I am not logging my food. I'm following the autoimmune plan from Dr. Sarah Ballantyne's book THE PALEO APPROCH. It is very restrictive but I am now of the mindset that it is medicine. Clearly, if I do not heal myself from my current arthritis flare, my rheumatologist will want me on immunosuppressant drugs.

I have a food plan for the week and I'm off to the natural food coop for shopping!

I'm going to make it a good day.

Rosey
  • sugar297
    sugar297 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your dedication is admirable. I have tried paleo and primal eating before as well as the Zone... it really seems to help my health but I find it so hard to stick to. I am a bread and pastaholic. If you could support me in this effort, I'd appreciate it since i need to do it for my arthritis and asthma. We have a group something like fifty, fabulous and fit if you'd like to join...however it's getting too big for me to keep up with it on MFP. I do log every day but really need to get off the bread and pasta. Are you following a specific diet in the book?