Same food 2 different calories

Options
What do you do when you come across the same food but it shows 2 different calories content? I searched for raw pig skin and here in MFP raw/boiled 28g-118calories while in lots of the Chinese website it's 100g-363calories. What to do? Should I use the nutrition info. From the Chinese websites and create a entry here or should I just use the entry in MFP?

Replies

• Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't trust mfp too much, log the figures with what you think is right, create your own entry if you have to. Better to overestimate calories than to overestimate
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Try looking it up on other websites. I google nutritional values frequently.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm actually curious about the pig skin as well. I'm having some for dinner.

I guess I'll just pick a number in the middle?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you do the math to make the portion sizes equivalent the calorie difference is about 15%. There is a lot of variation in the composition of animal products that come from one animal to another so there isn't any way to really know which estimate is closest to what you actually ate. I think the bigger question is why are you eating pig skin?
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Many calorie value here on MFP , I find, are wrong.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When I google it, I got pork rinds instead...
  • Wingg_
    Options
    If you do the math to make the portion sizes equivalent the calorie difference is about 15%. There is a lot of variation in the composition of animal products that come from one animal to another so there isn't any way to really know which estimate is closest to what you actually ate. I think the bigger question is why are you eating pig skin?

My mum came across a lady who looks like she's in her forties but actually close to 60 years old told her eating pork skin keeps your skin young and whatsoever. My mum is planning cook it, that's why I'm eating it.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I personally look at the packaging, if it's not there I google it and check about 3 reputable sites if they all match or two of them match then I pick that number at MFP if the ones listed there do not match I create my own...period!

I must admit if it is less than 10 pts. I really don't care I will pick the higher one to be on the safe side!
  • Chelfit
    Chelfit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you have the nutrition info, I would enter it to get the most accurate calorie count. Yesterday, I was looking for the count on Island Foods chicken roti and MFP gave me 450. I couldn't believe it had the specific restaurant I was going to. That seemed way too low to me, so I Googled and was lucky enough to find a restaurant review where they had figured out the nutrition. 1020 Calories!!!!! Since it was the morning and I was planning ahead, I was able to adjust my day to accommodate the meal to fit my calories/macros, but I would of totally sabotaged myself if I had just gone with what MFP was telling me.

If what MFP is giving you doesn't seem right, do some digging online.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't think eating pig skin is the secret to eternal youth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Search "pork skin usda". i've found that searching usda for pretty much everything alleviates having to wade through member entries.

Per usda, it is 544 calories per 100 grams.
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Search "pork skin usda". i've found that searching usda for pretty much everything alleviates having to wade through member entries.

I was just about to post this. The USDA site is my go to site as I believe it is far more accurate.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just googled pics of pork skin...there goes my appetite
    :sick:
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I was just about to post this. The USDA site is my go to site as I believe it is far more accurate.

THIS
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't think eating pig skin is the secret to eternal youth.

lol - this
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you come across the same food but it shows 2 different calories content? I searched for raw pig skin and here in MFP raw/boiled 28g-118calories while in lots of the Chinese website it's 100g-363calories. What to do? Should I use the nutrition info. From the Chinese websites and create a entry here or should I just use the entry in MFP?

You are talking about a difference of how much? 100/28=3.5714 AND 3.5714 X 118 calories=421 calories; so the difference of one entry from the other is 58 calories. Gosh this seems marginal, but good luck with your goals.
  • Wingg_
    Options

THIS

I just searched pork skin usda but I don't see it's calories...
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Many times you have do your own data for accurate nutritional info.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    However, I found that in fat secret 100g of pork skin is 545calories... Is the data in fat secret trustworthy?