How to make brown rice taste good???

Options

Replies

• jlh1411
    Options
    strange but nice ;-) when cooked sprinkle with balsamic vinegar. mmm nice!:flowerforyou:
  • xcarbonix
    Options
    Tony Chachere's creole seasoning makes anything and everything taste better. It's all you need!
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    a little bit of brown sugar!
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I make my long grain brown rice with reduced sodium chicken broth and add onions,varietyof vegetables with EVOO and saute.Yum
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do short grain brown rice. I find it's got a nuttier and in general has a lot more flavor than long grain.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use seasonings I buy at Whole Foods. My favorites are Bill Baron's Savoury Secrets #1 and #12.

Or try Basmati rice... mmm, that stuff is just so fragrant and delicious! I use it when I make Indian butter chicken :-)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I just use the Minute brown rice, so maybe that's part of my problem.

Properly cooking brown rice in my rice cooker takes roughly 2 hours. When I do cook it, I crumble up a chicken bullion cube into the water before cooking.
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great question, thanks for the awesome ideas!!
  • mamaward64
    mamaward64 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas, I was looking for this as well.
  • Bigstupid
    Bigstupid Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I mix up some Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup (you don't even need a lot) along with the brown rice and throw on some tabasco sauce. It tastes good enough to look forward to.

Mixing with hot salsa sounds pretty good too.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I do this with white rice as well...

use cooking spray or a tbs of olive oil...
    > add in dry red chili ( depending on how spicy you want it) and few spices like cinnamon sticks, cardamom and cloves (1 or 2 of each)... sauté it
    > then add in half an onion that is finely chopped....after you sauté add in 1/4 tsp coriander powder.. 1 tsp chili powder... and a dash of salt.......

once sautéed add in lots and lots of tomato paste...
    > mix well and add in chicken stock...
    > add in rice mix with it really nicely ... until the mix is aaalll over... and if you've put in one cup of rice add in two cups of water ..

( basically double the amount of water is to be added)... let it come to boil...stir occasionally...once boiled let it simmer for a while until the rice is cooked....

this is pretty yummy especially if basmati rice is used :)
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ezramedic
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth (or stock - whatever I have on hand!)
    I also add a little salt and pepper :-)

Yes, I saw other people mention it - I figured I should too - always use the reduced sodium, fat free broths.

I also like a little garlic powder or Mrs Dash in my rice. We eat a LOT of brown rice in our house :)
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    add some low calorie/low fat cheese :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    beans and rice with some cajun flavoring is pretty good. Also good for soups. Cooking it in a stock/broth is the way to go. If you eat a lot of chicken, you may just be better off in making your own stock as it isn't that difficult. Time consuming, but not difficult.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Didn't read through the responses so I'm pretty sure this was probably mentioned- I often cooked brown rice in chicken stock in stead of water and I never rush the rush to completion. It's so delicious that way!
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Kim chi if you like spice. Really low cal and it adds moisture, flavor and good gut bacteria! Sometimes I add a bit of tahini if I want to cut the spice a bit.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    You just add the flavor yourself;
    I like hot spices so I'm more likely to put sauce on top (I don't worry too much about my sodium intake so that's not a problem for me)
    My sister likes to melt some butter.
  • C_rector
    C_rector Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with frozen onion and peppers, half the amount of water, and the other half salsa!