at goal weight but unhappy with body fat

Options
13»

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    How long have you been strength training? I thought I saw a month and a half. You'll have to give it more time.

I was skinny fat; started strength training over the summer...it took about 6 weeks to see any change. Now 7 months later, I am 2 sizes smaller (same weight btw).

After reading some of the posts on MFP and talking a nutritionist friend, I switched the macros on here to 35fat/30protein/35carb. That seemed to help too.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    That's funny - I've set my macros to the same percentages - works for me too (although I don't always hit the goal for carbs).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hit goal weight in June. I was never as overweight as you, but I definitely had some flab when I finished. All that space in my ab that used to be fat was now empty - kind of like after having a baby. Same with thighs, butt, and arms.

Good news . . . it's gotten way better. I don't know how, I really don't, but I have continued to lose inches, despite no weight. I have been more consistent about incorporating exercise into my daily routine - walking, standing desk, etc. I'm sure that helped. But partly my body just seems to be recomposing itself in healthier ways, just like it did after I had my kids.

It would go much faster if I followed all the good advice on this site about lifting, etc. Swimming, in particular, I have found helpful in the past because it builds muscle everywhere.

But give it time. You've lost HALF YOUR BODY WEIGHT. That's pretty amazing. It will take time to adjust.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit surprised nobody's mentioned it yet... but for your weight and height, you're already close to the 'underweight' category. Lose 5 more lbs and you'll be there. I can't imagine you being fat anything, and you look great on your picture.

Are you sure that 'fat' isn't loose skin? Either way, if you think you need to lose more fat, I think you should talk to a counselor.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You might want to try some yoga, swimming (if possible), core exercises and continue with the strength training. Cardio is still important and you should aim to get in cardio each week but perhaps at a lower intensity.

You've done a great job losing the weight, I'm sure once you find the right fitness combo for your body you'll tone up and like what you see.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, but i wanna keep a note of this thread for future reference for myself.

Well done on your loss btw!
  • Idahoshaw
    Idahoshaw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to respond because I am exactly the same height and weight. I started out at exactly the same weight. So, I know where you are coming from. I am also trying to reduce body fat, but not weight. It took me a long time to get to this point and it will take more time to get the body fat down. I personally do a lot of strength training; free weights, machines, and bodyweight exercises. I like a variety. I love cardio machines and running, too. I try to incorporate protein into every meal and eat as clean as possible. Stubborn fat areas can be a challenge. After 3 babies, my lower abs are my trouble spot.

Keep up the Great work! Sounds like you have made great progress this year!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying. I'm definitely not afraid of getting bulky. I know I need to lift heavy. I'm not too wrapped up in the number on the scale either. Now that I've hit my "goal," I am focusing more on the mirror. I'm going to continue eating at maintenance, and increase my strength training from 3 split days (15-20 minutes each) to 3 full body days (30-40 minutes each). I've also changed my macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein, so I'm getting more protein. Should I drop a cardio day too? Right now I'm doing 30-45 minutes of moderate to high intensity cardio 5x a week (Zumba, step aerobics, step mill, spinning). I eat back the calories I burn.

I like this approach, dropping a cardio day is up to you. Do you like doing cardio, keep it. If you don't then drop the one you dislike most. Be patient and it will come
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • allicat1215
    allicat1215 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hit goal weight in June. I was never as overweight as you, but I definitely had some flab when I finished. All that space in my ab that used to be fat was now empty - kind of like after having a baby. Same with thighs, butt, and arms.

Good news . . . it's gotten way better. I don't know how, I really don't, but I have continued to lose inches, despite no weight. I have been more consistent about incorporating exercise into my daily routine - walking, standing desk, etc. I'm sure that helped. But partly my body just seems to be recomposing itself in healthier ways, just like it did after I had my kids.

It would go much faster if I followed all the good advice on this site about lifting, etc. Swimming, in particular, I have found helpful in the past because it builds muscle everywhere.

But give it time. You've lost HALF YOUR BODY WEIGHT. That's pretty amazing. It will take time to adjust.
    thanks but I didn't lose half my body weight. I lost about 40ish pounds.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Okay. There are three things which should be quite clear in a given scenario.
    1. Muscle weight is good. You need more proteins for it.
    2. Fat weight is bad. You need to burn this.
    3. The first thing to go in a fat loss program is the excess water in the fats. This can also lose the muscle. From what I read, your body fat is quite well. Go for saturated fat. Soy milk will be good. It helps lose fat and it is also full of proteins.
  • allicat1215
    allicat1215 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit surprised nobody's mentioned it yet... but for your weight and height, you're already close to the 'underweight' category. Lose 5 more lbs and you'll be there. I can't imagine you being fat anything, and you look great on your picture.

Are you sure that 'fat' isn't loose skin? Either way, if you think you need to lose more fat, I think you should talk to a counselor.
    it might be a combination of both. I know you can't see it in photos or through clothes. It's there though. And like I said, it's nothing terrible. But I'm always trying to improve myself.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Commenting so I can come back to this after I finish my fat loss journey. Good info. Congrats to OP.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you can say females won't bulk up. What about women body builders who are quite bulky yet very lean?

Steroids. If you think professional female bodybuilders, and male bodybuilders, don't use gear you've got your head in the sand.
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You are right that you can't spot reduce. Cut your carbs, increase your daily protein to at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. You don't have to lift heavy unless you want o bulk up. Lift weights where you can 12-15 reps, 3-4 sets. Don't use machines except for cables. Dumbells and free weights are best. Change your strength to cardio training to a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio. In other words, if you do 45 minutes of strength training, dp 15 minutes of cardio. it will take time but eventually the fat will reduce and the skin will firm up. I've gone from 320 lbs to between 180-190 lbs and my loose skin and fat has reduced.

This is excellent advice for cutting! I would add diuretic veggies such as asparagus, raw fresh spinach and broccoli to help flush out excess water, toxins, lactic acid, etc. When you're ready to build you will want to have an appx 200 calorie surplus and lift heavier weights for fewer reps and do even less cardio.
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You are right that you can't spot reduce. Cut your carbs, increase your daily protein to at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. You don't have to lift heavy unless you want o bulk up. Lift weights where you can 12-15 reps, 3-4 sets. Don't use machines except for cables. Dumbells and free weights are best. Change your strength to cardio training to a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio. In other words, if you do 45 minutes of strength training, dp 15 minutes of cardio. it will take time but eventually the fat will reduce and the skin will firm up. I've gone from 320 lbs to between 180-190 lbs and my loose skin and fat has reduced.

I like this piece of advice.
  • tothewhitecoat
    Options
    Hey, congrats on getting to your weight loss goals. you should be really proud of yourself :). Do you really think that you are "skinny fat"? I am not even sure that is real. moderate weight lifting may alter your body composition and tone up arms and legs. but I am sure your body is beautiful and you may just have a distorted view on your body's "problem areas." I imagine that you are the only one noticing these things. keep in mind that the images you see in magazines all have been altered, and that weight does not distribute evenly on the body.