Easy Meal Ideas

Options
fsuguy92
fsuguy92 Posts: 20 Member
Hey guys, I'm a college student trying to lose about 60 lbs. I'm having a hard time finding some easy meal ideas to make where I'm not just eating the same thing over and over again. Wondering if anyone has any ideas? Preferably meals that can be made in about 30 mins (give or take some time) without a ton of unusual ingredients. I do enjoy cooking a lot, I just can't afford to buy a ton of different ingredients for one meal!

Replies

• condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I toss together:

A cup of quinoa (15 min)
    Simmered in prepared sauces (curry, vinegar, soy sauce, etc)
    Mixed with a mashed microwaved Potato, Yam, or Sweet Potato (~5 min)
    Add in optional raw veggies, fruits, and nuts (baby spinach/apples/avocados/almonds)

Does require a bit of preparation but it's worth it. Doesn't take me more than 30 minutes. Also, fresh produce does not cost as much you think it does! That one cup of quinoa lasts me at least two days and has enough fiber to keep that feeling of fullness throughout the afternoon.
  • OliviaMelanie
    OliviaMelanie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Salsa chicken--easy to modify amounts for 1 to several people

Saute some cut up unbreaded chicken tenders til cooked (Pam a large nonstick fry pan)
    Add salsa from the jar (your preferred heat level) enough to be able to steam the veggies; don't have to cover them.
    Pour in frozen broccoli and/or corn from a bag (partial or whole bag full--doesn't matter if its spears or cut bits)

Cover and heat til broccoli is al dente--doesn't take long

Can serve over rice (fix it first because the chicken takes less time)
  • Rebstoff14
    Rebstoff14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My new favorite website is Skinnytaste.com, they have some great quick recipes with low calorie counts - I have already made a couple things off of there and they were delicious! Good luck to you!
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite easy meals is black bean quesadillas. Just take some canned black beans, salsa, and cheddar cheese, put them in a flour tortilla, and cook in a pan with a tiny bit of oil. They get crispy and delicious, they always fill me up. I like to pair it with salad and applesauce. Tortillas, salsa, and canned beans are cheap and you can make lots of other stuff with them.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Open can of beans,whatever you like,cut up some low fat hot dogs ,add a squirt of catsup / mustard if you have them,or salsa if you prefer.
    Add to skillet any veggies you have,maybe a bit of smoked sausage.Simmer on low heat 5-10 mins. Stir in several eggs,scramble till done.
    You can add any veggies you like to a can of soup,or rice or something like Hamburg/Tuna helper.

A pkg of frozen meatballs can be heated & used for sandwiches,in pasta or added to any dish you want.

Salad can be the base of several meals,adding meat,cheese etc.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Try a crockpot. Seriously. You can throw stuff in and let it cook all day while you're in classes and come home to a hot meal. Throw in chicken and salsa, chicken and BBQ sauce, chicken and Frank's Red Hot, etc...let it cook all day and then shred the chicken when you get home. Cheap, tough cuts of beef work well in a crockpot too...