Exercises that won't add weight in muscle??

Options
2»

Replies

• VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OP who sees the scales but you? Your family, friends and random people on the street only see you not the number
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Its just a myth that muscle weighs more than fat. Anyway like others have said, you wont gain muscle with a calorie deficit, but there is nothing wrong with gaining muscle. The more muscle you have, the more energy you burn, which is a good thing!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Its just a myth that muscle weighs more than fat. Anyway like others have said, you wont gain muscle with a calorie deficit, but there is nothing wrong with gaining muscle. The more muscle you have, the more energy you burn, which is a good thing!

It's not a myth- it's just a bad misrepresented fact.

Muscle is more DENSE than fat. So if you measure by volume- it will be heavier. but a pound of fat = pound of muscle= pound of feathers.

Newb gains on a deficit are more closely related to developing the muscle- and making it stronger. In order to truly BULK or add size you must eat at a surplus.

Most people wind up working out- shedding some muscle fluff- seing definition and go- OMG I"M GETTING BULKY and freak out- their definition with bulky more closely aligns with definition- not actual size.

BULK means size. So please don't confuse muscle size- muscle strength and muscle definition- these are three very distinct things. Accomplished in different manners- can be totally different- or totally parallel to meet a similar goal,.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

It's not a myth- it's just a bad misrepresented fact.

Muscle is more DENSE than fat. So if you measure by volume- it will be heavier. but a pound of fat = pound of muscle= pound of feathers.

Newb gains on a deficit are more closely related to developing the muscle- and making it stronger. In order to truly BULK or add size you must eat at a surplus.

Most people wind up working out- shedding some muscle fluff- seing definition and go- OMG I"M GETTING BULKY and freak out- their definition with bulky more closely aligns with definition- not actual size.

BULK means size. So please don't confuse muscle size- muscle strength and muscle definition- these are three very distinct things. Accomplished in different manners- can be totally different- or totally parallel to meet a similar goal,.

Fully agree with everything. Also thats what I meant by my post, 1 pound is 1 pound but volume wise, muscle would way more, correct.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fully agree with everything. Also thats what I meant by my post, 1 pound is 1 pound but volume wise, muscle would way more, correct.

werd- that's just such a common issue to see- I knew what you were getting out- but because well- science- and the nerd in me... LOL- I felt the need to be a little less obtuse about it ;) wink wink nudge nudge.

Just wanted to be clear.

and no- nothing wrong with some muscles- I think they are fab ;)
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about muscle, besides staving off osteoporosis and a slew of other age-related things, is that it makes your body more compact...you might way 140, but you might look 125 because you aren't fluffy. Something to think about.

EXACTLY!!! I have a client who has only lost about 5# during her training, but by dropping her body fat and increasing her muscle by about 10%, she has lost 20+ inches and at least a couple of clothing sizes.

Stop obsessing about the number on the scale and think about how your clothes look/feel.

A woman with a high body fat percent can do this, as can a man with a high body fat percent. Newbies gain muscle in a deficit all the time. What they don't gain is inches. Gaining inches in muscle (hypertrophy and volumetric gains) require eating at a surplus. Muscle density gains don't equate to hypertrophy.

Because muscle is denser, muscle gains do not translate to inch gains for many. I've added significant lean mass to the tune of about 9 pounds my first year of strength training. I lost a significant amount of body fat and ended up at a higher weight than when I started and a full size smaller.

When most people say you can't "gain" muscle while eating at a deficit, what they mean is volume/hypertrophy. But you can gain muscle while simultaneously burning intramuscular fat. It's called body recomposition and it takes a long time.

OP, you're not going to get bulkier no matter how much you lift if you're eating at a deficit. You can gain muscle, but it will take up less space.

ETA: the higher weight added about 3 pounds of lean mass of that 9 pound total. I decided to bulk when I hit a wall on strength gains. Even then, I added no size.

Thank you for this explaination. I have been eating higher protein and exercising for a month. I have lost 10 inches and only 8 lbs during this time, but my BF% went down 4.5% and the calculation showed a gain in LBM of 3 lbs. I was really confused about all the people who flippantly say "you can't gain muscle in a deficit" because of this. I don't want to build muscle, just have a better overall body comp, so with the above, I feel like I'm on the right track :)