Some of my targets seem a little off?

Options
Hey there!
I am relatively new to this and had a couple of queries so was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I am trying to lose weight and from looking at my entries, I continuously go over my sugar allowance (I believe a good proportion of this comes from my fruit). The UK RDA for women is 90g, and while I understand that cutting this will aid weight loss as sugar can be stored as fat, my target is 30g which seems rather extreme?
Also it says I shouldn't be eating any poly or mono-unsaturated fats, however these are 'healthy' fats? I would usually go over this as well as I add nuts to my oatmeal.
Can anyone shed any light on the matter?
Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Ignore the "sugar" here, as this site does not differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars.

The site's wizard was set to comply with the USDA recommendations for average people in the US.

YMMV, so change them as you see fit.
  • lorahennity
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Do you not still need to count naturally occurring sugars towards your target though?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Do you not still need to count naturally occurring sugars towards your target though?
    Dont get hung up on Sugar unless you have a specific health problem that you need to worry about it will not effect your weightloss. Just limit the processed sugar if you can but really it's not an issue. Sugar is not magically stored as fat if your eating at a deficit. It's the calories that effect weightloss not the type of foods. Yes the types may effect other health issues but not weightloss. If you eat a balanced diet at a deficit you will lose weight and get your nutrients
  • lorahennity
    Options
    Thanks! I'll just ignore the sugar tracker then. Now to find out about the fats...
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    As far as the sugars go, don't worry about going over the MFP target. Unless you are missing out on other macronutrients or you have diabetes or something, it's not a big concern.

The fats you want to avoid are trans fats. Also try to get omega 3s (fish).

The first thing to worry about is hitting your calorie goals, of course.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I use the protein & fiber goals as minimums & ignore the rest. But everybody's different, so it'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll just ignore the sugar tracker then. Now to find out about the fats...
    MFP's fats and proteins settings are widely regarded as minimums by many forum-goers; fats help with organ function and satiety. Protein intake is essential to maintaining muscle mass, especially while losing weight.