Polar F11 Users

Options
Ok, so I plugged in all my info, and did the laying down for however long it was test. All that is fine and good. I know how to use the HRM, and use it most of the time.

Here's my question... I recently had a metabolic test done, and it said my VO2 is 0.228 L/min. How does that relate to the VO2 MAX setting on my Polar? I know I can change it, but I'm not sure how it converts.

The test also gave results for the VCO2 (0.179 L/min), my respiratory quotient (.78). Anybody know what that means?

At least I know what the REE means (how many calories a day I need to eat :wink: )

Thanks for any advice and feedback on this!

**edited to add
By the way, it was a dietitian who went over the results with me, so her emphasis was the calories. I'm sure if the pulmonary department had gone over the results with me, the other results would have been explained in more detail.

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am an idiot but I think this question is for da man! AZDAK Hope he reads your post and answers if not search him and pm him! Hope you get your answer!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have anything to do with VO2max--those are resting values. You would need to use the same equipment and do a max exercise test to determine VO2max. The respiratory quotient (RQ) indicates the ratio of energy expenditure between fats and carbohydrates. A number of .76 means that, at rest, 60-70% of your energy is coming from fat as a fuel. That is a typical reading and not significant (it would be significant if it was abnormal).

It sounds as though the test you had was designed to look at resting metabolism only. The relevant information would be how your REE-- as measured by the test--compares to your estimated REE as calculated by one of the standard equations (e.g. Harris-Benedict). Hopefully, you find that number useful in your eating plan.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what the equation the dietitian used was, but she estimated my daily needs at 1500. Then, when I dropped 10 lbs she dropped my calories to 1450. After that, I was starving all the time, and I kept complaining that I didn't think I was eating enough. My weight loss slowed down as well. The test found my REE to be 1581, so now I get to eat 1600 calories a day.

Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon over the summer, so I'm back at step one... lol. Thanks for the help Azdak. I'll just leave the settings on my HRM the same. I just thought maybe I could make it more accurate with those numbers.