Help to gain weight

Hello everyone!

I am happy i found a forum that focusses on skinny people like me so i can ask for help :). I am 23 years old , 51 kg and 174cm and i need help to reach my 2400 calories goal , help like what to eat , what activities i should do and mostly what is good to eat on the road as i have days when i am leaving from 8:00 to 19:00.

Right now i am using MFP + Fitbit and Fitstar, and i am making daily strenght exercises thanks to Fitstar and calculating my calories burned thanks to Fitbit. Also i found that is good to eat ,as it haves a lot of calories, walnuts, chocolate milk, and dried fruits.

I am waiting for suggestions :). Thank you!

Replies

• focus more on getting micro nutrients than calories, its the amino acids, vitamins and minerals that you want. Milk and soy will get the amino acids you need and fruit and vegetables will get you the vitamins and minerals you need. If your training with weights make sure to get plenty of rest if your training intensely as overtraining will make you lose weight.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    focus more on getting micro nutrients than calories, its the amino acids, vitamins and minerals that you want. Milk and soy will get the amino acids you need and fruit and vegetables will get you the vitamins and minerals you need. If your training with weights make sure to get plenty of rest if your training intensely as overtraining will make you lose weight.
    Micro nutrients are important but if you are not consuming enough calories, then you will not gain no mater if you have 100 or even 200% of the RDA for vitamins and mineral.
    Overtraining will not make you lose weight. Burning more calories than you consume will.
  • Divide your 2400 kcal like this:

40% protein
    40% carbs
    20% fats

If you have the possibilty you should prep your meals to take with you when you're on the road. This will make sure that you eat what you need.

Try to eat most of your carbs around your weight training workouts to use the benefits of your insulin.

Do weight training. I don't know how many days a week you can workout?

Focus on compund exercises and add some others, like isolation exercises.

Day 1: Legs/ upper abs
    Day 2: Chest/bi's
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Shoulders/tri's
    Day 5: Back/ calf / lower abs
    Day 6: Bonus workout* or rest / rotation movements for abs
    Day 7: Rest

Good luck!
  • Fredhatfield2
    Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
    The best way to gain weight is resistance exercises. I assume you want it to be muscle and not fat, right? Push ups, sit ups, dips, one leg squats and pull ups are a good start, but sooner or later you might want to move up to weight training. That's a lot to talk about so if you are interested I'll elaborate.

As for diet, protein will be your biggest friend. The 2400 kcal, 40%/40%/20% is a good place to start, but one program isn't going to fit everyone. You can use MFP to carefully figure out how many calories you need.

Best to you!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Hello everyone!

I am happy i found a forum that focusses on skinny people like me so i can ask for help :). I am 23 years old , 51 kg and 174cm and i need help to reach my 2400 calories goal , help like what to eat , what activities i should do and mostly what is good to eat on the road as i have days when i am leaving from 8:00 to 19:00.

Right now i am using MFP + Fitbit and Fitstar, and i am making daily strenght exercises thanks to Fitstar and calculating my calories burned thanks to Fitbit. Also i found that is good to eat ,as it haves a lot of calories, walnuts, chocolate milk, and dried fruits.

I am waiting for suggestions :). Thank you!

2400 calories for 174cm is a little low; I'm 166cm (midget) and bulking on 2650kcal. You might want to look at raising them... particularly at 51kg and active. I'm trying to imagine what that looks like.

Can you get access to a gym? I'm gathering from your post you're quite busy. I'd personally recommend finding a gym and the time to use it and getting on a strength programme like Starting Strength or one of the many other excellent programmes out there based around compound lifts. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Barbell Rows, Overhead Press and etc. This will at least set a foundation.

In terms of calories - other than bumping them up - I'd say multiply your weight by 2 (102) to get your protein requirement in grams and use your weight as your fat intake (51g). Just for simplicity: you'd probably be fine on less protein, but these numbers make it easier. From there, fill the remainder of your calories with whatever you like, preferably carbs for a number of reasons (preferred source of energy, much cheaper than protein, etc) but really, fill them in with whatever you like. Just be sure to get adequate micronutrients, so eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.