Newbie questions :0)

Options
Just wanted to say Im really enjoying this forum and am SO grateful I found it, so thank you in advance for whomever chooses to offer me their help :o)

1) Logging question: Im not certain which is the better way to log in my diary. Case in point: today I had a tuna sandwich on 12 grain for lunch. No mayo, I mixed it with a tablespoon of fat free dressing. (tuna in soybean oil which I later discovered is better to get in water) lol...anyways, so if I log each item individually, like 2 slices 12 grain, 1/2 can soybean tuna, 1 tbs dressing, it comes to 370 cals. If I search the database for "tuna sandwich, homemade, on whole grain" it comes in at 320. (I likey!) So which one is more accurate? In the same token, when I make a homemade dish (such as chili) it obviously wont be in the database, so do I log each ingredient individually or just choose a generic homemade chili from the database?

2) When I do eat bread, I eat only 12 grain bread and vegetable whole grain bread. I love these. Never white. Thoughts?

3) (slightly embarrasing question)...Why am I peeing so much? I have to go many many times per day now that Ive started my new regimen here. Is there a relation? I am consuming more water now (I used to drink literally NONE!) now I do about 3-4 large glasses which would account for the trips to the bathroom...but I still find I am going a lot even when I drink only a little water... Is my body just cleansing itself?

4) I am allowed 1510 cals per day. I find that even though I am consuming them all I am still very hungry after meals. I think this is because I was used to eating far more calories before this, yes? Id like to find some ideas for "packing a punch" into my meals so they keep me satisfied longer but dont exceed my caloric allowance. Ideas?

Again, Im glad I found you all :o) and thank you for your support and advice!

Would anyone care to adopt me? :0D

Replies

• flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get a range of answers to questions 1 & 4, but here are my two cents on all of them:

1. For something like a tuna sandwich, I enter the components individually. For something like chili, I look for something already entered. In the interest of time, not for any other reason.

2. Whole grain breads are better than white. Check for added sugars, though -- sometimes they sweeten the whole grain breads to make them more "palatable" to Americans.

3. You're peeing because you're drinking 3-4 large glasses of water every day and before you drank none! Drinking makes people pee. It's normal.

4. Maybe more protein? Or eat a little more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1) The one you logged with your specific ingredients. The generic "sandwich" one - you have no idea what bread they used, how much tuna, etc. Breads can vary in calories, depending on thickness and if they are a low cal bread. Same with things you add to it.
    There is a recipe generator you can put in all the ingredients, then how many servings it made and it will calculate for you. After a while you get a good idea of what each dish should be around for calories and can use generic entries. Keep in mind if you find you are hitting a plateau, you may want to take a closer look at this types of entries.

2) If you like it, great. I used to be hardcore whole grains and stuff, but I've come around to the thinking white isn't the devil it is made out to be. Again, if you like the whole grain, no issues.

3) Water is a diruetic. It will make you go. It will usually even out after awhile.

4) for me, it was including a good source of lean protein and a little fat with each meal helps fill me up and keep me full. If I have a carb heavy meal without these, I'm hungry again soon.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ^ Oh yeah, re: question 4 -- a little more fat may be in order. Fat is not the enemy. :)
  • ASAPxAgge
    ASAPxAgge Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1) Adding everything separately will typically be more accurate, due to a generic homemade chili or tuna sandwich for example are almost bound to be different than the one you made. So unless you can find an already made one with exactly, or nearly same amount of nutrition you should add it all separately for the most accurate result. That's what I do at least.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    1. Always enter in your specific ingredients for a sandwich enter the bread you use, condiments, brand of tuna, etc. This will help with your accuracy. For chili don't pick one that's in there already you have no clue as to the ingredients that person used, this is when you use the recipe builder. Also stay away from the generic entries.

2. I eat all different kinds of bread, depends on what I'm having. If I want a pb&j that's going on white bread or a waffle. No food is bad

3. You are drinking more so you pee more

4. Higher protein meals keep me fuller longer

Good luck
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    1) Ok, for logging a sandwich with a few ingredients I would put in each item separately that would be the most accurate because someone might be using different brands or different preparation than you which can make a difference. so using the exact items you used will be the most accurate. for the cooking a homemade meal thing what I do is find the nutrition info for each item in the dish and make a note pad on my computer with each item so say I'm making 4 stuffed peppers I find the nutrition info for 1 green pepper and put that in the note pad with the heading "1 pepper", the next ingredient would be ground beef and lets say I use a pound of ground beef so I find the nutrition info for the ground beef and put that in the note pad as "1lb ground beef (needs to be divided by 4)" we divide it by 4 since I'm making 4 peppers and you divide all the nutrition info for the burger by 4 you would do this for all the ingredients then after you have everything figured into the amounts per serving you can create your own food on here I usually call my foods "Jodi's homemade (whatever the food is) then next time you use this recipe you already have the nutrition info figured out. its kind of annoying for the first time you make a food but it makes things 100% simpler the next time you make that food.

2) I also try to stick to 12 grain or whole wheat. I also really love the flax seed flat bread wraps.

3) Upping water is going to make you pee, its normal

4) I find that I stay fuller longer when I eat high protein and high fiber. both of those things are ok to go over on, especially if you are working out so don't feel bad if you go over on fiber or protein as long as you are with in calorie goal

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I have my food diary open to friends (its not always within goal, but its always honest) and I am totally cool with answering any questions you have, I might not have the answers for all of them but I am willing to help you find those answers. :]
  • alottamama
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone!