How to begin? Busy schedule? Exercises for beginners?

Options
Hi all,

I go through little phases of wanting to get in shape, but it usually only lasts about a week before I lose motivation!

I don't have much time during the week to exercise, or prepare healthy meals, I work full time and go to college, so only my weekends are free.

I need best tips for bagged lunches to take to work and school, I have access to a microwave both places.

and I'd love some advice on how to start exercising, as someone who does little more than walking I've been having a lot of trouble trying to break into exercising!

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• miramaye
    miramaye Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work full time and commute, and have a 3 year old. My days off are Sunday and Monday. I meal prep for 3 days on Monday, and again on Thursday. My largest meal of the day is lunch. I eat a well rounded breakfast, and a light dinner. When I get to work early, I walk around the building a few times to get some cardio in, but most of my workouts are on my days off. I also try to do strength training and squats every day at home.

Try looking up meals you can make in a slow cooker. I'm really versatile in my cooking, so you can take a look at my diary to get some ideas. I don't suggest frozen food. Too much sodium and you'll just bloat.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do all my food prep on weekends. I make salads and cut up fruit. I cook some meats ahead. Like I roasted a pork loin in a crock pot and then I froze it into 3 packages and this weekend I am not feeling that great so I pulled one out. I can put a little bbq with or just have it warmed up with frozen veggies. Last week I roasted a beef roast and turned it in to shredded beef taco's. I just cut up a bunch of carrots, celery sticks. Plus washed strawberries, cut up watermelon.

When I started working out I did in 10 minutes at a time. When I take the dog even in the winter I walk to 10 minutes first thing the morning. now it is second nature to do this first thing every day and if I don't I just don't feel right. I then added 10 minutes of walk at night. Do it for you. Take the 10 minutes just for you. Now I've added push up and squats. I started out doing 5 of each every day. Now I can do 30 of each and it only take a couple of minutes and you don't have to change your clothes to do them. I just added leg lifts in bed before I get up or when I go to bed. I am now doing 30 of 3 different lifts with each leg it take me 7 minutes. The thing about this is it is not that much time and look at all I do with out even thinking about it and in 7 to 10 minutes here and there over my day. I also walk the length of the parking lot before I go into work, it is well lighted and others are coming into work.

You can do this, just start with one and build on it. It becomes easy and second nature to do every day.
    Good luck.
  • sunstarz80
    sunstarz80 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As for food, I second using your slow cooker. I tend to cook up a large batch of plain chicken on Sunday and then use it in a variety of ways during the week. This saves me a ton of time at night and also makes it easier to grab and go for lunches.

As for working out, you might try and pick up some exercise DVD's that you can do from home. I've also found a lot of home routines on Pinterest and try to utilize those when I don't want to do a video or hit the gym.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you don't have to work out to lose weight. If the whole concept is overwhelming, why not focus on food prep first. I'm pretty busy too, but manage to cook/prep/portion an entire week's worth of lunch and dinner on one night of the week. Prep your protein, figure out sides (microwave veggies or whatever), and then boom. Done.

Also, what makes you think that walking isn't exercise?
  • stefi14
    stefi14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try doing the blogilates beginner's workout calendar...you'll be hooked I promise :)

http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2013/06/03/beginners-calendar-for-popsters-just-starting-out/
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com--you can search workouts by length, level, equipment needed, type... Some are as little as 5 minutes. You can squeeze them in whenever. I love the site!
  • reynamendoza505
    reynamendoza505 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do all my food prep on weekends. I make salads and cut up fruit. I cook some meats ahead. Like I roasted a pork loin in a crock pot and then I froze it into 3 packages and this weekend I am not feeling that great so I pulled one out. I can put a little bbq with or just have it warmed up with frozen veggies. Last week I roasted a beef roast and turned it in to shredded beef taco's. I just cut up a bunch of carrots, celery sticks. Plus washed strawberries, cut up watermelon.

When I started working out I did in 10 minutes at a time. When I take the dog even in the winter I walk to 10 minutes first thing the morning. now it is second nature to do this first thing every day and if I don't I just don't feel right. I then added 10 minutes of walk at night. Do it for you. Take the 10 minutes just for you. Now I've added push up and squats. I started out doing 5 of each every day. Now I can do 30 of each and it only take a couple of minutes and you don't have to change your clothes to do them. I just added leg lifts in bed before I get up or when I go to bed. I am now doing 30 of 3 different lifts with each leg it take me 7 minutes. The thing about this is it is not that much time and look at all I do with out even thinking about it and in 7 to 10 minutes here and there over my day. I also walk the length of the parking lot before I go into work, it is well lighted and others are coming into work.

You can do this, just start with one and build on it. It becomes easy and second nature to do every day.
    Good luck.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    exercising doesn't mean having to spend hours in the gym. 30 minutes a day is good enough. and if you tell me that you really don't have 30 minutes a day, then you need to just wake up a little earlier.

this is a pretty good beginner body weight workout. do it for 2-3 rounds every other morning.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

prep your food on weekends. invest in a crock pot and make a few big meals on the weekend. grill up a family pack of chicken breast too. they're great for lunches. a big pot of rice as well.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    exercising doesn't mean having to spend hours in the gym. 30 minutes a day is good enough. and if you tell me that you really don't have 30 minutes a day, then you need to just wake up a little earlier.

this is a pretty good beginner body weight workout. do it for 2-3 rounds every other morning.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

prep your food on weekends. invest in a crock pot and make a few big meals on the weekend. grill up a family pack of chicken breast too. they're great for lunches. a big pot of rice as well.

Nice reply, captain! x
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

This. I lost all of my weight sticking to my calorie goal, exercising for 30-60 minutes 2-3 days a week. Prepping food ahead of time iscrucial
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    DIET:

Seriously - if you think fast food is fast / cheap / convenient - it really isn't by the time you stand in que wait for them to cook something etc.. then you gotta go home anyhow, by then your body is craving something sweet or salty or whatever as your insulin levels have dropped back down after your take away / fast food. So you open a packet of pretzles or chips or some milk chocolate. Then you feel flat and out of energy....

It is way quicker to do a steak and salad at home or Spag Bol, grilled fish and vegies whatever - keep it simple - I cook for a family of 6 most days and I don't really like spending time in the kitchen 20 mins for most meals that is it, I don't have the time otherwise! Mexican at home use lettuce leaves instead of the taco roll or shells that kind of thing, frying off some mince with a little olive oil with beans from a can, onion whatever takes you fancy at a little chilli / taco seasoning takes like 10 mins while it is frying you cut some tomato and pull a couple leaves off a head of lettuce - 15 mins max!

Lunch:

Even if you don't prepare anything - most stores you can buy fruit salad and yogurt (personally - go natural or greek). You get your pro-biotics, protein a little fat and some "slow release sugars" etc...

Exercise:

"Walk with purpose" stand tall pull that tummy in and walk at a brisk pace. Even if you are at your desk sit tall it will give you more energy and your body muscle memory will start to kick in. If yo don't have time for a long walk break it down to 3 x 10 or 15 mins.

You want fitness to become part of your lifestyle it does not sound like you are ready for a gym are there other things you use to enjoy or would like to try - bring out the inner child even? Here is a list without even thinking much - Dancing, swimming, net ball, plain old skipping rope, hoola hoop, bush walking, diving, soft ball, soccer, base ball, boxing, Tai Chi. If you have a passion towards something and decide you want to do it - then you will find the time.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you don't have to exercise. It's enough to eat fewer calories than you expend. And while eating a healthier diet (fewer processed foods, less red meat, more vegetables and fruits, etc.) is a good idea, you can lose weight on McDonald's food if you don't eat too much of it. You have to get used to being hungry some of the time, though I found that after a few weeks I was hungry less often than before, when I was slowly gaining weight.

Exercise is good for (1) ensuring that the weight you lose is mostly fat, not muscle, and (2) improving your endurance/stamina. For #1, some basic weight training is what you need; if you don't make your muscles lift a lot of weight, they'll say, "OK, we're not needed anymore, so let's shrink." The Nerd Fitness page that Capt_Apollo linked to is a good, fast routine. If you have even less time, try the 7-minute workout that Gretchen Reynolds discussed in the New York Times: http://tinyurl.com/lugpgyv (though ideally you'd do 2 or 3 circuits, for 14 or 21 minutes).

For #2, walking is fine. You can work cardio exercise into your routine - park further from work/school and walk briskly, and take the stairs instead of the elevator when you have to go up a few floors.

My favorite lunches are sandwiches with turkey or ham (sometimes pastrami), a little cheese, some lettuce, and a vegetable or two: tomatoes if they're in season, cucumbers, pickle slices, roasted red peppers. Add a piece of fruit. The other thing I eat a lot of is hummus, with a little pita bread and a lot of veggies: celery sticks, carrot pieces, and cut up sweet peppers are great scoops. I'll also make a vegetable-bean salad on the weekend and then take single servings to work.

Good luck! You have a lot on your plate, but keeping yourself healthy should be top priority.
  • Broccoli62
    Broccoli62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The resounding theme here in responses is "planning of food." Don't eat by accident. Eat with purpose- and that purpose should be your health. If you plan your meals several days at a time and cook multiple meals simultaneously for freezing, etc. it will soon become second nature. Good luck on your journey.