Toning

Options
I am down to 147lbs my belly if for sure still there and I would ideally like to be down to 130lbs. I don't know much about toning and stuff but when should I really target that ?? Should I still be focusing on losing before focusing on toning?? Where do I go from here !!

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Start a full body strength training program that incorporates compound lifts.

Read Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or The New Rules of Lifting.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Toning is a myth. You can't spot reduce, you can simply use cardio to burn overall calories and strength training to recomp body fat. Personally, I would recommend adding in strength training now, since it preserves muscle mass to help specifically lower body fat %. You can strength train in a number of ways, but you'll get the best bang for your buck from weight lifting.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ^What they both said. Start a weight training program. I started New Rules of Lifting for Women about a year ago and I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 now. All of the changes that I've really loved seeing in my body have been a result from weight training, not just losing weight.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Strength training is the way to go if you want to call it toning, lowering BF or recomp shaping with muscles is the key. Have a trainer sow you and start you on some for total body. I still am not doing compound lifts and probably should be able to. I started with simple machines to help keep me safe and using correct form. It was where I felt safer and more comfortable which in turn means where I will put more effort into it if I am not afarid of getting hurt. It takes time and patience not one of my srongest virtues but it has definately been the best journey I have been on and am sooo thankful for my traner walking me through it and helping throughout not hovering or staying with me each time but montoring at times and telling me a few times to up things when I hadn't yet.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    re-bump
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What is "toning"?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    strength training focusing on barbell exercises that include squats, dead lifts, bench press, and overhead press.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

I suggest New Rules of Lifting for Women if you've never done any type of strength training.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    re-bump

There's no need to keep bumping - the answer has already been provided.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    strength training focusing on barbell exercises that include squats, dead lifts, bench press, and overhead press.

if there is no such thing as spot reducing, why are these exercises recommended so often?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

if there is no such thing as spot reducing, why are these exercises recommended so often?

because they work
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Because they work your whole body in just a few exercises. It's a very efficient approach to strength training.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Because these 4 basic moves are the cornerstone of a full body program
  • usmcmp
    Options

Maintains lean body mass. Lean mass is important for better composition when you reach your goal weight. Compound lifts like the ones above increase metabolism and help burn fat.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    oh ok, thank you :wink:
  • usmcmp
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/8-reasons-women-should-lift-weights.html
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/weight-exercises-women#.