Simple meal plan on a budget?

Options
2»

Replies

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I didn't say it abouve but we also mkae almost all of or chicken and vegetable stock. It's cheeper and has less sodium. I tend to buy beef stock as I don't use it as much but we make it when you can.

to make chicken stock cut medium onion, 2 carrot and 2 celery stocks into chunk. You can save and use the tips of your celery or carrots too. Put in pot with chicken bones from a previous meal. Add peppercorms and a little salt. Fill pot with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 1 - 2 hours.

For veggie stock do the same thing with a bit more veggies and no bones.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Tofu is amazing and dirt cheap. Can take the place of just about any type of meat in a meal and take on whatever flavor you are putting it/pairing it with.
    I feed 3 people on less than $200 per month and using tofu, eggs and beans in place of meats (from beer battered tofu and chips to bean or tvp sloppy joe's) has made a huge dent on my shopping bill; and that's when I was buying the cheap side of meat (ground, reformed cutlets, luncheon, sausage) not the good, quality cuts. So my advice is take meat out of the equation a few times a week at least and that will really help your overall grocery cost.