1200 Calorie Diet Does it work and how long?

Options
Hello I have been on a 1200 calorie diet since January. During the first few weeks I did the diet and worked out regularly about 5 days a week weight lifting and cardio. During this time, I was stuck between weighing 186-183, I could never get down any further. It snowed pretty bad so I wasn't able to go to the gym for about a week. During this time I stuck to my 1200 limit and did 30 squats a night. Suddenly my weight dropped to 188. I became somewhat confused as to why I lost so much with little to no exercise only a the calorie diet. Was I going to hard in the gym and gained too much muscle? Does this calorie diet really work this well with little to no exercise and if it does, does anyone have any experience or success with it? Thank you for viewing.

Replies

• Deniheart
    Options
    Hi - not sure if it works or not but I believe it does. I'm the same as your started the 1200cal in Jan right away lost a few pounds but then was stuck even though I was exercising almost every day....Then I started to move with the weight loss again around 2 pounds a week...
    A friend told me it's your body adjusting and you may not be losing pounds but inches and building muscle which weighs more...so I'm still plugging and I hope you are too...Keep it up! - Deni
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me, my BMR is already 1800. I am currently losing weight on 2500 calories average, I get 10000 steps a day, and lift weights 2-3x a week.
  • MissJazzie14
    MissJazzie14 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss is slowing down, its probably because your body is in starvation mode. You probably need to eat more calories and have your net calories be 1200. For example, if you eat 1800 calories a day but burn 600 calories at the gym that leave your net calories at 1200.
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am loosing each week but believe I was loosing inches when it didn't show I was loosing pounds. It all comes together. I think that is why it is important to measure ourselves as well so you can tell if you are loosing inches.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1200 calories a day and haven't worked out a single day. So far I'm 5 weeks in and have lost 15 pounnds. So far so good.
  • Mollique
    Options
    Thank You Deni!
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a BMR of 1360, ate 1200 calories for 20 weeks and lost 10 pounds without any exercise. I gained it back when I quit caffeine, so now I'm back on MFP, but this time I am exercising along with my 1200 calories. It works for me, but I have a low BMR to begin with.
  • Mollique
    Options
    ok I don't really understand but thank you!
  • Mollique
    Options
    ok I eat almost all of my calories but I do not want to eat back what I lost. I think this is best for maintaining. Thank you soo much for replying!
  • Mollique
    Options
    Yeah I do too! I measure myself each night! If I gain pounds, I loose inches and if I gain inches, I loose pounds, It's quit funny actually. I don't know it's weird hahaha.
  • Mollique
    Options
    That is wonderful!!!!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    First off, forget about starvation mode. It doesn't apply unless you have been eating an extremely low calorie diet for months and have almost zero body fat.

I question the fact that you were not losing on 1200 a day (for one). Do you have a food scale? Do you measure your liquids out in cups?

How are you calculating your calorie burns when working out, and are you eating those calories back?

Some fluid retention in the muscles when you work out is very normal, and can mask fat loss.

If you really are in a calorie deficit, you cannot gain more than maybe 1 or 2 noobie muscle lbs. Muscle gaining requires a calorie surplus.

How did you decide on 1200 calories?

ETA: Please use the 'quote' function so we can tell who you are answering in your posts. Thanks!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I agree with most posts, calorie counting and moderate exercise should work. Check measurements regularly. I use to exercise a lot and then eat some of calories back. Didn't lose much. Now I limit myself to a few pounds over my BMR which ends up at around 1250 and with just moderate exercise and I am losing more. Of course im only 5'2". I'm eating slightly above BMR and slightly lower than TDEE.

We don't need to eat as much as we were led to believe.
  • Mollique
    Options
    ohh ok thanks for the reply!
  • Mollique
    Options
    First off, forget about starvation mode. It doesn't apply unless you have been eating an extremely low calorie diet for months and have almost zero body fat.

I question the fact that you were not losing on 1200 a day (for one). Do you have a food scale? Do you measure your liquids out in cups?

How are you calculating your calorie burns when working out, and are you eating those calories back?

Some fluid retention in the muscles when you work out is very normal, and can mask fat loss.

If you really are in a calorie deficit, you cannot gain more than maybe 1 or 2 noobie muscle lbs. Muscle gaining requires a calorie surplus.

ETA: Please use the 'quote' function so we can tell who you are answering in your posts. Thanks!

Hi sorry guys and thanks for the advice on the quote function. You pointed out some great things! First off I am not educated on calculating body fat, exercise, or liquids. I do have a scale and I do measure myself in certain areas. I used my fitness pal to generate how many calories I should eat. I also calculate my calorie burn from exercising with my fitness pal (although I feel like it may be wrong) for example burning 800 calories from 60 minutes of eliptical. I really do not feel like i'm starving specially after being used to the diet. Mainly because I eat a lot of the right food such as fruits and vegetables. Thank you so much for replying!
  • Mollique
    Options
    I agree with most posts, calorie counting and moderate exercise should work. Check measurements regularly. I use to exercise a lot and then eat some of calories back. Didn't lose much. Now I limit myself to a few pounds over my BMR which ends up at around 1250 and with just moderate exercise and I am losing more. Of course im only 5'2". I'm eating slightly above BMR and slightly lower than TDEE.

We don't need to eat as much as we were led to believe.

ok thank you for replying!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1200 worked for me for months but it felt like my yoyo starvation diets of years gone by. Now I am on more calories and happy.
  • Mollique
    Options
    1200 worked for me for months but it felt like my yoyo starvation diets of years gone by. Now I am on more calories and happy.

ok that's great!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Hi sorry guys and thanks for the advice on the quote function. You pointed out some great things! First off I am not educated on calculating body fat, exercise, or liquids. I do have a scale and I do measure myself in certain areas. I used my fitness pal to generate how many calories I should eat. I also calculate my calorie burn from exercising with my fitness pal (although I feel like it may be wrong) for example burning 800 calories from 60 minutes of eliptical. I really do not feel like i'm starving specially after being used to the diet. Mainly because I eat a lot of the right food such as fruits and vegetables. Thank you so much for replying!

I meant do you use a scale to weigh your food?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I think you are reading too much into a loss which occurred over a one week period (if I have read your first post correctly).

You can do everything right and weight loss is still not linear - meaning there will be weeks of staying the same, even going up a bit - but as long as your overall movement is downwards then you are losing weight.

I also found that the weeks I was under my allowance did not neccesarily correlate with the weeks I lost the most - but overall l was losing, so the program was working.

PS: I do not agree with the starvation mode term that is bandied around on here - but I do think you should be eating back your exercise calories, or at least most of them - especially on a low figure of 1200.
    ie you should be netting 1200, NOT eating 1200 only, plus exercising