Exercising but only Maintaining

I've lost a total of 21 lbs! I am 59 yrs old am 5'4" 160 lbs and want to get to 150 but it seems like I am NEVER going to get there. I am very active especially in the winter as every day I do some type of exercise either swimming, snowshoeing, walking ( 5-6 Km ). I have my settings as active & want to lose 1.5 lbs/wk. I am eating a really healthy diet and staying most days within what I'm allowed and I'm posting everything I eat - no cheating! Still I don't seem to be losing - simply maintaining. Scares me to death when I think of what I might weigh if I didn't exercise but honestly it's hard keeping up this pace!! I have been eating back some of my extra calories allowed as well but not all. I find it hard to stay within the fats & proteins allowed and increase my calorie intake. I must be doing something wrong though - I should be losing weight and yet for the past 3 weeks I've remained the same. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Replies

• Based off of your stats (age, weight, height, exercising every day) I calculated your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is 2108 calories. You should subtract 10-20% of that, and eat that amount of calories to lose weight in a healthy manor. Also try switching up your exercise routine, do more weights instead of cardio etc.
  • Also if you could make your diary public I could take a look at it better.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    the last 10 are the hardest. Your body has adapted and you need to change up your workouts
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Are you double counting maybe by having yourself set at active when you also log your exercise? Or have you considered using a fitness tracker like FitBit to automatically track and sync your activity so that you know you're eating back at the right rate?
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Like the other poster the last 10 lbs are rough. Sometimes your body hangs on and then all of a sudden it comes off. That is what plateaus are. You just keep eating health and exercising. You can try some other things like weight lifting, carb cycling.... but I would keep to eating healthy and exercise. You'll do it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Are you weighing your food? Using measuring cups for liquids?

The activity setting on MFP is to be used ONLY if you have a very active job. Other than that, most use the sedentary setting and then log their exercise and let MFP add those calories back to be eaten. Also, be ware that MFP estimated calorie burns for exercise are often inflated, so most eat only 50 to 74% of them back.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    You are probably overestimating your activity level. Lower it to moderately active or lightly active and keep it at .5 pounds/week loss.

It's always a good idea to adjust your calories downward every 10 pounds to keep the same weight loss going.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Weight loss slows and plateaus lengthen as you get closer to goal. Also, the same exercise burns fewer calories at lower weights.

For example, this is my cumulative weight loss from start to goal. That flat line near the end is a 48-day plateau:

11418160225_0f0e69f3e1_o.jpg

I felt impatient from time to time but I never felt discouraged. I knew I was doing the right things and therefore knew that my weight would eventually drop. My set-up was to lose a half-pound per week; my average (plateaus and all) ended up being three-quarters of a pound per week. That slowness meant I didn't feel deprived, and it also means I have a much easier time maintaining, which I've done now for 60+ days.

Nelinelineli has a fabulous post on weight drops and what you can expect:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nelinelineli/view/6-months-of-daily-weigh-ins-just-how-often-can-you-expect-a-new-low-617344

The Mayo Clinic has a good article on plateaus:
    https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

I'm 55 (post-menopausal) and lost 51 pounds in 15 months. I also listen to my body, which often means I go over on protein according to MFP's macros. Fats and carbs can be over or under depending on how I feel. Learning to truly listen to my body and what it needs has been a major part of my process.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    I am in the same boat. I am 13 lbs from my goal. I have an active job (Physical therapist). I work out 6 out of 7 days and am under 1200 calories. After losing 25 lbs., I have been the same weight for about a month.

UGH.....I am trying to change up my workouts. And stop eating cinnamon roasted almonds (soooo good).

I am sticking with it. You should too. Good luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Do you weigh your food? If not, I'd start there. You're eating too much.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    If you only have 10 pounds to lose, you should set your goal to .5 pound/week. Any more than that isn't realistic when you're so close to your goal.
  • sxg196
    sxg196 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks - not getting discouraged as I know I'm eating healthy. Just want it to happen more quickly than it is I guess.
  • sxg196
    sxg196 Posts: 9 Member
    I do weigh my food. I'm confused when you say I'm eating too much as I'm always well within the limits MFP is allowing me.
  • congratulations on your 21 pound weight loss. and I agree the last 10 are hard to lose. I'm always trying to lose the last 10 but you know if I'm working out and eating better I have to be happy with my progress. Patience it will come off, keep at it step on the scale so you can see how your body is reacting and take your measurements. good luck