Maintaining with fitbit calorie calculations

Options
I am very leary on increasing my calories to what my fitbit one tells me I burn in a day, average roughly 2900-3100 cal, 23000-26000 steps, minimum of 90 "very active" minutes, however I only eat between 1600-1800 calories. I workout at least 5 days a week. I have reached maintenance as of a few months ago and still maintain roughly 1800 calories a day, not eating back my exercise calories, so I net between 800-1000 calories. I have worn my fitbit for about 9 months so the numbers listed are a reflection of that timeframe I have not lost any weight but pay very close attention to not exceed the above numbers. Every thing I read says to maintain you eat what you burn...is this the right thing to do as there are surely days I could use a few hundred more but am afraid to increase calories and gain back, I don't need 3000 calories but theres days I could surely feel better with 2100-2300...any advice on what the right thing is to do??? I am 33, 5'8 and currently 145lbs, from 187, medium frame.

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    We are very similar height, age and build and I lose on 1600-1800 and my daily burn is between 2200-2500 according to fitbit. Were you previously losing weight on 1600-1800 before you hit your goal weight?
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    How do you have your settings on fitbit? G to the food log page, and on the part where it says calories burned, click one time to the left and edit plan.
    Do you have that set to maintainance? (Current and goal weight the same)

I eat around my fitbit calories, and I have been maintaining, so it's accurate for me. Just try it, bmp up calories a bit for a week or so, see how you feel energy wise.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Maintenance takes a whole lot of trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight stabilizes. Slowly increase your calories until you start gaining, then decrease them even more slowly until you maintain.

Your weight will fluctuate, so choose a range (for example, +/- 2.5 lb.). When your weight goes above your range, cut your calories by 100. When your weight goes below your range, add 100 calories.

Congratulations on your loss!
  • mdoyle28
    mdoyle28 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was losing on that but I was burning a few hundred more so more like 3200-3400 then when I hit maintenance I did let up a little on exercising quite as much. But I stil eat that amount yet fitbit says I burn close to double what I eat and I am not losing anymore.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a little less active, a little older and about the same size (5'8.5" and 136 pounds). I typically eat about 2100 calories a day, regardless of what my Fitbit says. (I usually end my day anywhere between 2000-2500, according to FitBit.) I've been on maintenance for about two years now.

It really sounds like you could/should eat more. Maybe edge up by 100 calories a day, and increase intake on weekly intervals and see how you do.

It took me a while to get comfortable with maintenance mode. I was really nervous about eating more/exercising less, so I continued with my weight loss calories and daily workouts for several months. I lost about 12 more pounds before my doctor actually talked to me about losing too much.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I was losing on that but I was burning a few hundred more so more like 3200-3400 then when I hit maintenance I did let up a little on exercising quite as much. But I stil eat that amount yet fitbit says I burn close to double what I eat and I am not losing anymore.

Something sounds fishy with your FitBit settings, if it says you are burning twice what you eat yet you are not wasting away.

For me, it's been reasonably accurate if a little on the low side (meaning I have to eat a bit more to maintain).
  • mdoyle28
    Options

Something sounds fishy with your FitBit settings, if it says you are burning twice what you eat yet you are not wasting away.

For me, it's been reasonably accurate if a little on the low side (meaning I have to eat a bit more to maintain).

I checked all my settings and they are accurate unless I am missing something. I also find it strange that I don't lose, not that I am trying anymore really but seems like I would.
  • mdoyle28
    Options
    I'm a little less active, a little older and about the same size (5'8.5" and 136 pounds). I typically eat about 2100 calories a day, regardless of what my Fitbit says. (I usually end my day anywhere between 2000-2500, according to FitBit.) I've been on maintenance for about two years now.

It really sounds like you could/should eat more. Maybe edge up by 100 calories a day, and increase intake on weekly intervals and see how you do.

It took me a while to get comfortable with maintenance mode. I was really nervous about eating more/exercising less, so I continued with my weight loss calories and daily workouts for several months. I lost about 12 more pounds before my doctor actually talked to me about losing too much.

Thanks for the input and awesome job on maintenance. I am trying to get comfortable with maintaining but it still kind of freaks me out
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I maintain on what MFP says should be a 250 calorie deficit, but I'm older and that difference was there while I was losing as well. It could be a measurement issue.

That said, I can eat back everything fitbit says I can and maintain. I've done it for 9 months. I find it reasonably accurate.
  • brianalynnx
    brianalynnx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about fitbits helping people maintain their weight and now I am curious! Sorry for the silly question, but I wasn't able to find out quite how it works by searching around. Does it just give you your calories burned and you are expected to eat under that for the day to maintain?
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am very leary on increasing my calories to what my fitbit one tells me I burn in a day, average roughly 2900-3100 cal, 23000-26000 steps, minimum of 90 "very active" minutes, however I only eat between 1600-1800 calories. I workout at least 5 days a week. I have reached maintenance as of a few months ago and still maintain roughly 1800 calories a day, not eating back my exercise calories, so I net between 800-1000 calories.

I have similar stats and I net around 1700-1800. Netting 800-1000 in maintenance sounds like something may be seriously wrong with your metabolism. It sounds dangerous to me, but I am not a doctor nor a dietician.

I generally eat 50-100 cals below Fitbit's estimate for daily burn, I think I am still losing at a slow rate -- hard to tell with weight fluctuations though.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about fitbits helping people maintain their weight and now I am curious! Sorry for the silly question, but I wasn't able to find out quite how it works by searching around. Does it just give you your calories burned and you are expected to eat under that for the day to maintain?

Yes, more or less -- based on your activity it will estimate how many calories you will burn for the day and adjust your calories available to eat accordingly. Its a YMMV thing, I find it pretty spot on, but others, not so much.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    My fitbit one seems pretty much on target. I have set to sedentary and I actually have to do quite a bit of moving to achieve my sedentary calorie burn or it actually takes calories off me. I don't think that it adds more calories than I burn...but then my exercise tends to be walking at the moment. If I do another kind of exercise, I add it MFP and then Fitbit magics the numbers around (and tends to reduce the estimated burn that MFP gives).
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I find my fitbit flex to be fairly accurate. Now that I have a food scale :). I did have a time where my weight loss stalled but that was because I wasn't weighing my food and was grossly underestimating my intake. Now that I am more accurate with my intake the fitbit seems to be dead on if not a little low in my TDEE estimate. I am new to maintenance so I am not quite up to eating at full maintenance calories yet but I am losing weight in line with the weekly deficit it says I have so it seems accurate!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    How do you have your settings on fitbit? G to the food log page, and on the part where it says calories burned, click one time to the left and edit plan.
    Do you have that set to maintainance? (Current and goal weight the same)

I eat around my fitbit calories, and I have been maintaining, so it's accurate for me. Just try it, bmp up calories a bit for a week or so, see how you feel energy wise.

OOOOOH I just did that! Thank you! Can it tell your calories and food diary from MFP? That's the bit I wish they'd be a bit more integrated!

Well, I have been working out and my personal trainer asked me eat about 2400 calories and see if I'm still losing weight. I'm trying that now and on some days I will eat back calories, on some I won't. I've started macro dieting too (and that's bloody hard!) and my personal says my diet should consist of 40% fats, 30% protein and 30% carbs.

As I haven't eaten that much carbs recently I tend to feel a bit bloated, but I'm hoping it'll work.
    Kinda scared of climbing the scales next week though!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    OOOOOH I just did that! Thank you! Can it tell your calories and food diary from MFP? That's the bit I wish they'd be a bit more integrated!

Well, I have been working out and my personal trainer asked me eat about 2400 calories and see if I'm still losing weight. I'm trying that now and on some days I will eat back calories, on some I won't. I've started macro dieting too (and that's bloody hard!) and my personal says my diet should consist of 40% fats, 30% protein and 30% carbs.

As I haven't eaten that much carbs recently I tend to feel a bit bloated, but I'm hoping it'll work.

You can sync the 2 sites, and Fitbit should take the calories and food from MFP.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Fitbit One to maintain for a year having lost 2stone with Biggest Loser site.

My food plan is set at 250 deficit and sedentary to motivate me to earn my food not watch my allowance drop if less active and using the personalised setting. I eat minimum 1500 (or whatever Fitibt says I have earned) all weekdays then eat pretty much freely at w/e. I have maintained well doing this and also had more feedom to eat when it suits me.

MFP allows me more than Fitbit but I stick with what has worked and only use here to log food and sync with Fitbit.

Maintenance is a scary head messer for sure, keeping some restriction in week (but not going hungry) has helped me cope with the brain monkey!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

You can sync the 2 sites, and Fitbit should take the calories and food from MFP.

Exactly. Set your MFP settings to sedentary. It takes the exercise calories from Fitbit. If you do something that Fitbit doesn't register well (swimming, biking), log it on MFP and Fitbit will overide those readings with Fitbit exercise for that time period only.

Fitbit calories get added into MFP calorie allotments. Love that.
  • mdoyle28
    Options

I had my mfp settings at active because of fitbit burn readings averaging 2900-3100 calories...should I change it to sedentary and then just eat back some calories burnt if needed?

Exactly. Set your MFP settings to sedentary. It takes the exercise calories from Fitbit. If you do something that Fitbit doesn't register well (swimming, biking), log it on MFP and Fitbit will overide those readings with Fitbit exercise for that time period only.

Fitbit calories get added into MFP calorie allotments. Love that.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey I just noticed that as I have a "custom" program on MFP, Fitbit seems to think that I'm going over my allowed calorie allowance. I eat about 2400 calories a day as I'm trying to grow muscle. So is there a way to insert a custom TDEE?

Thank you!

Edit: Actually - could it be because I use MFP as a "Meal Planner" rather than login what I eat? I think Fitbit seems to think that I've eaten all the calories but haven't spend it yet so it gives me these calculations wrong - could that be it? But that means I'd still have to log my TDEE somewhere, wouldn't it? So confusing!

Thank you!