Running out of ideas

Options
i have been trying to lose weight for about 6 weeks and needless to say I am running out of ideas for healthy meals. My diet has become very boring and I know if I don't eat some more variety I will not reach my goal. So this is a food S.O.S if anyone could recommend a website or book where I could get some new recipes. I would be forever in y'alls debt.

Thanks

Replies

• 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    I like http://www.epicurious.com/ or eatingwell.com i have used them both
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on occassion, then we usually buy a new cookbook, I have 2 biggest loser cookbooks and a taste of home one, the recipes are all online for TOH http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Healthy-Eating, also Ms Dash seasoning (http://www.mrsdash.com/recipes/) has a great webpage for recipes that are low fat etc. Its just not eating the same things all the time, you get in a rut and get tired of eating and its harder to stick to.

I have gotten a lot from Dinner made easy from betty crocker

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Here are a few sites that I go to:

www.hungry-girl.com (swaps for lots of things you may WANT to eat) - she also has books and a new show coming o Cooking Channel

Speaking of channels - look up Ellie Krieger on www.foodnetwork.com - she has some really great healthy recipes

www.3fatchicks.com - don't worry that these are both "chick" named!

www.skinnytaste.com

www.sparkrecipes.com

Also - Rocco DiSpirito has a healthy cookbook out - my niece has it. A few of the recipes are online but not all. He has lost a ton of weight since he was on Food Network.

That should get ya started. Good luck and good for you eating REAL food!
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com is a great website. Everyday Food (a Martha Stewart publication) also has great recipes that are well organized and quick to prepare.
  • sbased
    Options
    I love hungry girl as well and then I usually try my favorite recipes and substitute a little bit (like 2% milk instead of full the first time then something different). Also if there are foods you crave experiment with doing something different so that you can still have them and not feel deprived. I steal from "diet" plans as well. I'll do a search for weekly or daily nutritious menus and try from there - good luck!
  • jdmerritt84
    jdmerritt84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help y'all I really do appreciate this.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Supercook.com

If you have basic ingredients on hand already you can try supercook.com There you enter what you have on hand, it will ask if you have ...and it will list other ingredients, then it does an internet search thru ALL recipe web sites. It will give you a listing of recipes that you can use with what you have on hand, and it is divided up by Starters, Entrees, and Deserts. It is allergy friendly since you can EXCLUDE items specifically, or it has gluten free, dairy free, meat free, fish free, seafood free, and nut free. Very handy web site when the $$ get tight between paydays and the shelves are thin.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    bump
  • kathleenpenrod
    kathleenpenrod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Whole living Magazine does great, simple meals. Online is free but the subscription is great too if you're into that sort of thing.

A concept you might like is switching from pastas/rice to couscous (israili is my favorite) and arborio rice. mix sweets and salty in. I love to add apples and walnuts and chicken in with a dijon/lemon juice vinaigrette. its great hot or cold and tastes fresh - you can do so much with it.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Try the cooking light section on allrecipes.com.
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone :smile:

Bumpity-bump
  • LMP1979
    LMP1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    www.delish.com (Low Cal section!)

Used to be pretty limited on ideas myself, but found it fun browsing food sites online, seeing a picture that looked good - printing out the recipe and just trying it.
  • jrsmithne
    Options
    I love allrecipes.com and cookinglight.com
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Eat, Shrink and be Merry is a fun easy healthy cookbook. Full of man food.
    I love meal salads and to make it acceptable to my husband I do a mexican taco salad.
    I use lean ground bison/turkey, very small amount, and saute it with onions, garlic grated carrot, zuchinni, black beans, corn, red peppers and taco seasonings. I serve a generous portion over a huge bowl of romaine lettuce, with LF cheddar on top to make it look rich. I serve with salsa, avocado, light sour cream and a few corn chips around the outside of the bowl. If made with emphasis on a small amount of lean meat and heavey on the veggies, the dish is usualy less then 500 calories, bursting with nutrition and more then you can eat. A great feel full meal.
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Eat, Shrink and be Merry is a fun easy healthy cookbook. Full of man food.
    I love meal salads and to make it acceptable to my husband I do a mexican taco salad.
    I use lean ground bison/turkey, very small amount, and saute it with onions, garlic grated carrot, zuchinni, black beans, corn, red peppers and taco seasonings. I serve a generous portion over a huge bowl of romaine lettuce, with LF cheddar on top to make it look rich. I serve with salsa, avocado, light sour cream and a few corn chips around the outside of the bowl. If made with emphasis on a small amount of lean meat and heavey on the veggies, the dish is usualy less then 500 calories, bursting with nutrition and more then you can eat. A great feel full meal.
    Thats sounds really yummy:smile: