24, Grad student, Teacher- motivation/support needed!

Options
Cedura
Cedura Posts: 184 Member
I am 24 and will be 25 in a month. I take a full load of masters level classes at school, while also completing my internship teaching high school.
I am jobless and broke as a joke. Its challenging to eat filling meals on a low budget unless someone else is buying (and boy is it obvious in my food journal when I have been treated to dinner- Texas Roadhouse all the way! haha).
But lately, due to my Ramen and Ravioli, Cereal and chip diet, the pounds are not falling off as fast as they should be (and I consider 1lb a week fast).

I would love some more friends that are college/grad student Or just unemployed so that we can tackle weight loss as cheaply as possible. And so we can keep each other motivated towards our goals.

Replies

• peggy2580
    Options
    Hey I'm in med school and feel the same way. I have no money or time to worry about food so it's hard to stay heathy!
  • Cedura
    Options
    I sent you a request :)
  • jacdog88
    jacdog88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I'm not in school, or broke exactly, but I have a special needs dog who requires a lot of medical attention so I try to live below my means in order to have money saved up if he should have a problem. Does that count? Lol

I'm vegan so I eat a lot of plant based food which is cheaper than meats but it's definitely possible!

I buy things in bulk when they're on sale and make lots of soups to freeze and quinoa/rice stir fries that last a week. I prepackage my meals and take them with me when I go out so I'm not tempted to spend money on it.

I've seen cookbooks that are all about eating cheap. Casserole meals should be affordable too.
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and a grad student and lab teacher. I'm not super broke, thanks to the horrible convenience of student loans. But I try to save when I can, and refuse to sign up for weight watchers or any program that costs money. You can friend me :)
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm a broke phd student. 25, soon to be 26 :-(
  • Cedura
    Options
    Friend requests sent to all! I cant wait to get to know you ladies and help keep each other motivated.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Cheers! I am 27, grad school, career and family. Always looking for awesome people to share the journey with.
  • Cedura
    Options
    Got your request and accepted it :) Cant wait to share our journey.
  • PHDork16
    PHDork16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a phd student, 33, with a husband who travels often for work and a 4-year old son. Extra time, what's that??
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm a 28 year old PhD student. I get paid decently now from funding but didn't always. There are plenty of ways to get some cheaper filling meals. Some off the top of my head:

Pasta, rice, beans. All very filling, fairly cheap and last a long time in storage, so you can buy in bulk quantities to save a bit more.
    Canned tuna you can get for less than a dollar a can usually.
    Learn to cook cheap cuts of meat, usually with low temperature and long cook times. Pulled pork from pork shoulder is yummy.
    Fruits and veggies are a bit more difficult. The key is to find what is on sale, fresh or frozen.
  • maryestrada399
    maryestrada399 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI Cedura,

I am a college student at Indiana University, with the prospects of entering grad school for counseling psychology after my senior year. I am also going through the broke college student diet too. I would love for us to be motivational buddies!

Mary Estrada.
  • bhoelscher
    bhoelscher Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im 31...no, I guess 32. Today's my birthday, and I'm not as far as I would like with my weight loss. I'm a school teacher, married with two kids, a 3 year old daughter an 10 week old son. Feel free to add me. I'd love to give you the encouragement I can.

-Brandy
  • Cedura
    Options
    Shaz thanks for the tips.

Requests sent to everyone else :)