Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Science Teacher, no time, help!

Hello! I am a high school science teacher as well as a coach. I consistently am working 12-hr work days and am dead beat tired. I have maybe 2 hours to myself at home (which includes showering, making dinner, grading papers, planning, etc.). I have no time to exercise, even half an hour is time I don't have during the week, and eating right is a struggle I've always had (darn sweet tooth)!

I'd really like some motivation/support, especially from other teachers!

Also, any other topics I should post this under? Thanks everybody!

Replies

• momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Set your alarm an hour earlier than you normally wake up and workout in the morning. It's the best way to start your day!!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    I have a full time job, not 12 hours, but I'm gone from 7:30 until 6:30 with drive time and child pick up time. Then its home, dinner stuff, take care of 2 kids with my husband. homework, therapy, kids to bed, then start my 2nd job.

I Know its tiring but working out is a priority so I'm up before everyone else and do my half hour workout in the AM.

When you want it bad enough, you will Make the time. Its hard, we ALL understand!!!

Good luck!
  • Hello! I'm also a science teacher except at middle school. I sponsor a club which takes up quite a bit of time and teach a Native American culture class after school so I get the lack of time! I have found by strictly planning my meals ahead of time and fixing what I can and refrigerating I can stick to my plan much easier. I keep easy, healthy snacks in gallon size zip lock bags, such as dry roasted edamame, soy nuts, almonds, craisins, and carry it to school with me so I can grab a little handful when I feel my energy waning. Hope this helps!

Teressa
  • Adomke89
    Adomke89 Posts: 35 Member
    I know I could wake up and work out but then it cuts into my sleep time. Right now I aim for a healthy 7-8 hours I really don't want to part with. *sigh* I suppose I will have to find another way. Maybe run with the kids I coach.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I know I could wake up and work out but then it cuts into my sleep time. Right now I aim for a healthy 7-8 hours I really don't want to part with. *sigh* I suppose I will have to find another way. Maybe run with the kids I coach.

There you go! No reason why you can't do the same thing the kids are doing to stay in shape. And it doesn't need to be 30 minutes at once. Get in 5-10 minutes at a time if possible. Jumping jacks while waiting for something to print, taking the stairs anytime you can, etc.

Cut back on the calories for your best bet, if exercise is absolutely out. You may not lose weight as fast but it'll happen.

I feel your pain, my husband is a math & science teacher at a middle school, heads the Chess Club, student council (he's also the regional director), and the after school tutoring program. He's at the school more than he is home.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    You can change your gender by going under my home, settings and update diet/fitness profile. You will find a change in your daily calories, men have a higher metabolism. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Skip breakfast.

OP, please do not listen to this advice. It is really not healthy.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    You could get it two good workouts on Saturday and Sunday. :) During the week make sure you are standing and walking around as much as possible rather then sitting. Keep your nutrition on point (not perfect, but maybe try the 80/20 rule) and you should be good to go.

What are your specific goals?
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Excellent choice. Sets a great example for your kids too!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    I like the idea of running with the kids. And the fact that you're a teacher means you're already a lot more active than a lot of us.

If losing weight is a goal, cutting calories is much more important than upping exercise (although exercise has a lot of other benefits). I'd recommend getting serious about logging your food -- keeping an accurate food diary is nearly essential to losing weight, and apps on smartphones (such as the MFP one) make keeping a food diary much less of a hassle than it used to be.

If you're getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night (sounds like heaven to me), I'd guess a lot of your "tired" is more of a mental than physical tired. Surprisingly, even a short workout (15 minutes or less) can wake you up and give you a lot more pep in the evening. I often come home from work completely bushed, and quick at-home 30 minute workout does wonders to get me through the rest of the evening.

Best of luck to ya!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

some people would rather sleep than be successful.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Skip breakfast.

incorrect.

i routinely skip breakfast. there are no studies shown that having breakfast is beneficial to ones health. likewise, there are no studies shown that not having breakfast is bad for you.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member

In your original post, you mentioned being dead tired, and then in this one, you mentioned that you try to get 7-8 hr of sleep. I know it seems counterintuitive, but you might actually have more energy for your day if you get a slightly smaller amount of sleep but use that time for exercising. This wouldn't happen immediately, as your body would need to get used to a new routine, but over time, the exercise would likely boost your energy more than enough to make up for less sleep. Of course, I am not talking reducing your sleep dramatically, but 20- 30 minutes probably wold be Ok. Also, you could try to do longer exercise stuff on the weekends, and it doesn't have to be at a gym or anything. Maybe work it into your life. Try riding your bike to the store or to your school, or whatever. I definitely like the idea of working out with the kids you coach.
  • leaner426
    leaner426 Posts: 89 Member
    For me the saying weight is lost in the kitchen is true. Even at my age and with my issues I can lose weight just with diet, and no exercise. Definitely eat breakfast. Then yes, run with the kids you coach. Short 5-10 minutes multiple times a day works too.

As tired as you are you might want to look into supplements that help your brain chemistry. Make certain you aren't iron deficient or Vitamin D deficient. If you are that mentally fatigued it is hard to want to work out but it makes a world of difference.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member

If you're getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night (sounds like heaven to me), I'd guess a lot of your "tired" is more of a mental than physical tired. Surprisingly, even a short workout (15 minutes or less) can wake you up and give you a lot more pep in the evening. I often come home from work completely bushed, and quick at-home 30 minute workout does wonders to get me through the rest of the evening.

This is what I was trying to say in my reply, too, but you said it much better than I did!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member

some people would rather sleep than be successful.

Wooot!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Skip breakfast.

incorrect.

i routinely skip breakfast. there are no studies shown that having breakfast is beneficial to ones health. likewise, there are no studies shown that not having breakfast is bad for you.
    ^QFT

Lyle McDonald has some great information on it here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

The take home from Lyle's article, in terms of practicality and application, would probably be this quote, this is Lyle here:

* If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
    * If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

Or in other words, personal preference.

Some peer reviewed studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17483007

The full link...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

OP there are 1440 mins in the day surely you can make time (30-60 mins) if you really want it.

Are you saying that you watch no television or have no any other activities outside of work and bodily functions.

I have and met plenty of people on here who have very tight time constraints but have come to the realization that health is paramount and made the necessary adjustments in their lives to make it happen.

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    I know it's tough to find time to exercise, but even a little bit here and there can really help, even as an energy boost.

The good news is, you are probably on your feet so much as a teacher, that you are already burning more calories than a more sedentary person would be. Planning your meals and snacks ahead of time as much as possible may be something that can really help you stay on track, even if you don't add in more exercise.

Running with the kids you coach might be an option. Another might be just to have smaller initial goals. If you try to fit in 3 workouts per week, and do one of them on the weekend, that means only 2 days per week that you would have to fit in a workout on a school day. Maybe you could get up early on those two days, which would feel less overwhelming than getting up earlier every day. Or do a workout as soon as school is over on the days you don't have after-school commitments.
  • I too am a high school science teacher, and mother, and I feel your pain. I teach physics and biology, which means two preps, and yes, 10 hour days. I also get up at 530am to get my kids breakfast and lunch and off to school. Staying fit is not easy and requires A LOT of planning. Within 30 minutes of getting home, I exercise, whether that's on the treadmill, the elliptical, or a video. This is how I decompress from the day, and have the sanity to enjoy my family. The exercise also gives me the energy that I need to survive the day. I also plan easy dinners during the week, and require the kids to help in the upkeep of the home. Make no mistake, I AM EXHAUSTED, but I think it would be way worse if I didn't take care of myself by exercising and eating healthy. Best to you in finding a solution/compromise that you can live with. If not, spring break will be here soon and you can recharge!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    what are your goals?

If you just want to lose weight then you do not need exercise and can do calorie deficit…

if you want to lose body fat and do a recomp then you are going to have find an hour a few days a week to workout..

there is always weekends…?