small victories

Options
jha1223
jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
Today marks my first day in the second half of my journey. Six weeks ago I started P90 and myfitnesspal. I'm happy to say that at weigh in this morning I have lost 14 pounds. Together, my wife and I have lost 27 pounds.

Although 14 pounds is nothing in the grand scheme, the six weeks marks something special for me. See, any time I have dieted in the past, I've done it half assed or cheated a great deal but would kid myself in to saying that I've done all that I can. I can proudly say that I've been working out 6 days a week for 6 straight weeks. Just like the title - it's a small victory.

I haven't taken measurements yet today, but my clothes are telling me something. It's all good news :)

The six week mark also means that I have gone from Sculpt and Sweat 1/2 to Sculpt and Sweat 3/4. I thought there was no way I would make it through those. I haven't been struggling with 1/2, but they still got me a bit tired and I felt like I was working it. Then I moved to 3/4. WOW! I thought to myself, "So THIS is what pushing it means." Now I know I can do it. Six weeks of this and I CAN make it through the masters series.

I still get a little flack every day from the guys in the office as I'm munching on a banana and LF cottage cheese in the morning... a rice cake in the afternoon ... small sammie (lf meat, lf cheese, wheat bread, dijon, oregano, pepper, etc) and such for lunch. I just keep telling myself that I am doing this for me and my lovely. No one else.

I am willing to admit, however, that I am still LIVING. Although I've only had one soda in the last six weeks, I've indulged elsewhere. I have a glass of wine or a beer a couple of times a week. Scotch even (I LOVE my Chivas 18). But, I account for them. I know a lot of people from on free days but I love them. It keeps me honest. BBQ a beer or two - I don't count anything out. If I want it on the free day, I HAVE IT! I know that I am never more than six days away from tasting something that is a craving. When the free day arrives and I've held off the urge to "cheat" - it's a small victory.

I sometimes take the elevator, sometimes take the stairs when I get to work. Depends if I'm on a call as I'm walking in. I took the stairs today and realized at the top that I wasn't out of breath. Holy crap! So I walked back down and then back up. I was a little more winded, yes, but NOTHING like I had been when I started. Yes, it's a small victory.

"I look at victory as milestones on a very long highway. "
~ Joan Benoit Samuelson

Replies

• pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! In the health and fitness department, I am convinced there are no small victories. Today I crossed over my halfway point (WOOT!), so I'm feeling rather victorious today myself. :happy: Cheers to you & your wife!
  • jamie_savage
    Options
    That's wonderful! Very motivating as well
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both on the comments. I don't know if I could be as motivated without this site. It has truly been a gem.

I'm committing myself to logging every day on the second half. I KNOW I am eating right, but logging will help remind me that I've done so much already that I need to stay focused.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your wife. I love the story, very inspiring. Keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!