This has been asked plenty of times, but still confused...

Options
I'm sorry if I'm asking a very repetitive question. I'm still confused on tdee and eating back exercise calories. Mainly: What tends to be more accurate: Including your activity level when you calculate your TDEE and not eating exercise calories, or calculating it set at "sedentary" and eating back exercise calories?

I've just increased my calories to 1,350 from 1,200 because I realised I'm always hungry eating at 1,200 when I work out 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at moderate intensity. I have the habit of not eating back calories even if I eat 1,200 so that goes below my bmr which isn't healthy.

Thanks!

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am at maintenance right now and I find that TDEE works better for me rather than NEAT. When I tried to maintain on NEAT, i kept losing, but TDEE has gotten the number closer for me. When I was losing I did NEAT and was ok, but I didn't mind if I lost an extra lb. here and there.

ETA: for clarity, when I did NEAT I ate back my calories because that's how it works.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I'm asking a very repetitive question. I'm still confused on tdee and eating back exercise calories. Mainly: What tends to be more accurate: Including your activity level when you calculate your TDEE and not eating exercise calories, or calculating it set at "sedentary" and eating back exercise calories?

I've just increased my calories to 1,350 from 1,200 because I realised I'm always hungry eating at 1,200 when I work out 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at moderate intensity. I have the habit of not eating back calories even if I eat 1,200 so that goes below my bmr which isn't healthy.

Thanks!

I think I posted this in your other thread, but really this is your best resource! Read it all the way through. If you're working out 4-5 days per week, you should set your activity level at moderate and calculate TDEE with that setting. The method of eating back calories isn't exactly the TDEE method, it's more of the MFP method. Does that make sense?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am at maintenance right now and I find that TDEE works better for me rather than NEAT. When I tried to maintain on NEAT, i kept losing, but TDEE has gotten the number closer for me. When I was losing I did NEAT and was ok, but I didn't mind if I lost an extra lb. here and there.

Do you mind me asking what NEAT is? I'm quite new to weight loss terminology.

So am I right to say that if I calculate tdee based on activity level, I shouldn't eat back any exercise calories?
  • ochibi91
    Options

Thanks!

I think I posted this in your other thread, but really this is your best resource! Read it all the way through. If you're working out 4-5 days per week, you should set your activity level at moderate and calculate TDEE with that setting. The method of eating back calories isn't exactly the TDEE method, it's more of the MFP method. Does that make sense?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Thanks for the link! I will give it a good read :) Ah, yes, now it makes sense! Thanks a lot ^^

My only concern is overestimating how much I should eat because I'm mostly sedentary apart from the 1-2 hours when I workout. So will setting my activity level to 'moderately active' be too much?
  • chezjuan
    Options

So am I right to say that if I calculate tdee based on activity level, I shouldn't eat back any exercise calories?

NEAT stands for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, basically what you burn from daily activities outside of your exercise routine. It is what MFP uses. You are correct that if you do TDEE, you do not eat back exercise as it should be included in the equation. You may need to tweak the number a little as online calculators are not always accurate. I started with a number from one and increased about fifty cals a week until things stabilized (it only took about 100 or so...).
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options

Yeah.
  • ochibi91
    Options

Yeah.

Okay. Thanks a lot! :)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand about TDEE is logging exercise as 1 calorie, regardless of effort. I have MFP friends who do this. It's one calorie to walk around the block and one calorie to run a mile and one calorie to do 60 minutes of cardio. This makes no logical sense to me. And if exercise is always one calorie, why log exercise at all? (which is what I do) Mostly it's about balance and finding yours. Eat a little more on exercise days and not so much on off days works best for me. Get in 100 grams of protein each day, I can't stress that enough.
  • chezjuan
    Options
    What I don't understand about TDEE is logging exercise as 1 calorie, regardless of effort. I have MFP friends who do this. It's one calorie to walk around the block and one calorie to run a mile and one calorie to do 60 minutes of cardio. This makes no logical sense to me.

Some people want to track exercise but not have to worry about it messing with their MFP calorie goal, so they enter it as one calorie. That way they can refer back to their exercise diary. I personally just don't log my exercise anymore, I just make sure I do it.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    What I don't understand about TDEE is logging exercise as 1 calorie, regardless of effort. I have MFP friends who do this. It's one calorie to walk around the block and one calorie to run a mile and one calorie to do 60 minutes of cardio. This makes no logical sense to me.

It's because TDEE already includes your exercise, but people still want to track their workouts. But it wouldn't make sense for them to "earn" the calories for that activity, since it's already been accounted for, so they just put 1 calorie. That way, they can keep track of all the workouts they are doing and share them with their friends without having MFP give them hundreds of extra calories.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

We do it so we can keep track of how much we have exercised without adding to our calories. I did this when I got my bodymedia fit. It kept track of most activity, so if I wanted to log exercise, I logged it as 1 calorie. That way you don't double dip.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

It's because the calories from exercise are accounted for elsewhere but they still want to track exercise. I do this because my exercise calories come automatically from my bodymedia armband. I track what I consider to be exercise on mfp, but the actual calories come from the armband. With the TDEE method, people have already accounted for their exercise calories when determining their calorie allowance. So logging exercise with 1 calorie allows them to track exercise that happened without inflating their calorie allowance (which they don't want because they already factored in those calories when calculating their TDEE).
  • acogg
    Options
    But these people have UPPED their calories based on TDEE and then eat them whether or not they have exercised much or at all. It's as if it's all pretend. They are also not losing weight. This method may work when maintaining, but I can't see much logic when losing.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    But these people have UPPED their calories based on TDEE and then eat them whether or not they have exercised much or at all. It's as if it's all pretend. They are also not losing weight. This method may work when maintaining, but I can't see much logic when losing.

If you don't exercise as much as you've accounted for in your activity level, you won't lose as much weight (or possibly any at all, depending on the circumstances and the number of calories, etc). But I think it's false to say that this method doesn't work or that it's only for maintaining. The people over in the Eat More to Weigh Less and In Place of a Road Map might disagree with you.

I am doing TDEE-15% and it's working nicely so far. I've done it in the past without realizing that it's what I was doing and I had lots of success. Just didn't have success keeping it off, which is an entirely different issue. :grumble:
  • acogg
    Options
    Then why not account for the actual amount of exercise? Why not be real and accountable for your activity each day? There is no way every day is the same. Each day is different and the effort is different. And no, you can't eat more and weigh less. If that was the problem, I would be 90 pounds or less. Ha-ha! I have never been a big eater, just ate a little more than my body could process and over time, I gained 40 unwanted pounds. It took me thirty years to put on 40 pounds from doing the eat more to weigh less program. Ha-ha!:laugh:
  • ochibi91
    Options
    Then why not account for the actual amount of exercise? Why not be real and accountable for your activity each day? There is no way every day is the same. Each day is different and the effort is different. And no, you can't eat more and weigh less. If that was the problem, I would be 90 pounds or less. Ha-ha! I have never been a big eater, just ate a little more than my body could process and over time, I gained 40 unwanted pounds. It took me thirty years to put on 40 pounds from doing the eat more to weigh less program. Ha-ha!:laugh:

if that's the case, maybe mfp's method of tracking exercise calories works better for you?
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options

Well, the "eat more" part of it really means "you can eat more than 1200 calories." For most people, that is absolutely true, and it's totally unnecessary to eat just 1200 calories, particularly if your BMR is much higher than that. It works. It makes sense. But you can choose your own path, and I wish you luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

tdee is based on a weekly average parsed out on a daily basis. for instance when i do TDEE method i set my activity level as 3-5 days of exercise a week because no matter what i will always do at least 3 days. some weeks i get to 6 days and i may or may not eat part of the calories from that 6th workout.

TDEE method and NEAT + exercise method pretty much ends up averaging out to be the same amount of calories on a daily basis. it's basically saying 6 vs half a dozen
  • ochibi91
    Options

tdee is based on a weekly average parsed out on a daily basis. for instance when i do TDEE method i set my activity level as 3-5 days of exercise a week because no matter what i will always do at least 3 days. some weeks i get to 6 days and i may or may not eat part of the calories from that 6th workout.

TDEE method and NEAT + exercise method pretty much ends up averaging out to be the same amount of calories on a daily basis. it's basically saying 6 vs half a dozen

@meshashesha20: Just a question: your exercise frequency is similar to mine: 3-5 days a week. How is your activity like when you're not exercising? Are you sedentary (sitting all day) or you also have, for example, a job which requires some bit of walking?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

You should probably do a bit of research before making such statements... I've done TDEE-20% for months. I think it's working, well, at least my clothes and my scale say so.

TDEE works as long as you maintain your exercise regimen. It's an average. On days I exercise more, my deficit will be bigger. On rest days, it will be much smaller. It's fine. It's an average. Obviously you can't put yourself as moderately active with that formula and then not workout for 5 days... but I'm living proof that it works, and I don't have to carry my heart rate monitor everywhere anymore. Win/win.