Boring old sandwich...lol

Options
Ok, so sandwiches can be fun and healthy, boring and healthy or just plain bad for you. It all depends what you add to them, etc. What are the fun and healthy choices you add to your sandwiches to give it a kick. Im not talking about the usual lettuce, tomato, etc. Something fun and tasty!

Please share!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I use cabbage instead of lettuce. LOVE the flavor. Also, I adore jalapenos so I tend to put them on my sandwiches too.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I use Ezekiel Bread, 2 oz avacodo smushed and spread on with sliced tomato, spinich and swiss cheese :-) It is so so yummy. or a veggie sandwhich with sliced mushrooms cucumber and spinich and tomato
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    There's a great red pepper spread out there made by Marco Polo. Comes in mild or hot flavors. It's by far my favorite sandwich addition.
  • sincereme
    Options
    Jalapenos!! Nice. Sounds fun. I have to try that. Do you get them in a jar or just a regular jalapeno?

I love Roasted red peppers. I am thinking of trying them on a sandwich!
    I use cabbage instead of lettuce. LOVE the flavor. Also, I adore jalapenos so I tend to put them on my sandwiches too.
  • randilea
    Options
    I have become really fond of using spicy brown mustard and banana peppers lately.
  • sincereme
    Options
    You must have posted this while I was replying but yay!!! Thanks!!! I so love Red Peppers and in a spread sounds delish!!! :love:
    There's a great red pepper spread out there made by Marco Polo. Comes in mild or hot flavors. It's by far my favorite sandwich addition.
  • Tasha1476
    Options

I LOVE putting jalapenos on my sandwiches and people always look at me like Im crazy!
  • sincereme
    Options
    Avocados are my all time favorite. I can just have an Avo sandwich and be very happy!!!...lol

I also like Hummus on bread with a slice of tomato..soooo good!!!

I use Ezekiel Bread, 2 oz avacodo smushed and spread on with sliced tomato, spinich and swiss cheese :-) It is so so yummy. or a veggie sandwhich with sliced mushrooms cucumber and spinich and tomato
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My favorite, and my kids, is this combo on our turkey rollups - 1 small cucumber sliced very thin, 1/4 red onion sliced thin, 1 Tbsp. low fat sour cream, 1 tsp dill weed, a splash of lemon juice - I mix all that together and place it on top of our turkey, spinach, tomatoes and red peppers. No mayo, no mustard, just yummy goodness.
  • christinafpdx
    Options
    Mmm I do avocados with turkey, red onions, and cranberry spread.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    People talk about loving cereal. I don't LOVE cold breakfast. I love a breakfast taco with salsa to be exact. Warm breakfast is best. But I do LOVE sandwiches. They're so flavorful once I add red onion, green leaf lettuce, tomato, spicy brown mustard and the tiniest bit of miracle whip. If I'm at a sub shop I go for fat free honey mustard. Sometimes at home I mix some of the spicy brown with local honey and it comes out awesome!

I'm still experimenting to make them better. This week is club sub week. I have roast beef, turkey and ham to go with the veggies. I forgot pickles didn't I? Oops. I love pickles too.
  • lissakay
    Options
    I like to spread different flavored creamy dressings on the bread, but just 1 tbsp so it is still a healthy sandwich lol

The last one I used was spicy chipotle thousand island.
  • egates1984
    egates1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I put pineapple on ham sandwiches and peaches or apples on turkey sandwiches. It an easy way to squeeze fruit into your day.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    ok this is gonna sound gross but dont knock it till you try it! if you like fried egg sandwiches (which i LOVE) try it on a sandwich round with a tablespoon of organic low sugar (or no sugar, just salt and peanuts, yum!) peanut butter on each piece of bread and white onion slices. about 363 calories but as far as fried egg sammiches go thats pretty light! (you can make it lighter with less peanut butter too!)

and sandwich rounds (also called thin buns by some brands) are great for any sammich and only 100 calories instead of the average 200 you get for your two slices of bread. :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I use spinach instead of lettuce. I find it tastes the same but its better for you. I adore cheese so I will usually go for a slice of cheese (real cheese not that processed orange crap) instead of lunchmeats. Roasted red peppers are a favourite of mine too.

I also really like chicken salad. Just use lowfat mayo to prepare it. I like to chop apples into mine and I throw in some walnuts for crunch.

Always always always eat your sandwiches on whole wheat bread/pita/bagel/wrap etc. It can be the difference between healthy and horrible :)
  • sincereme
    Options
    you guys are making me hungry!!! Love the responses!:blushing:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Jalapenos!! Nice. Sounds fun. I have to try that. Do you get them in a jar or just a regular jalapeno?

I use the pickled slices. The ones right outta the jar. The spicier the better. :)
  • sincereme
    Options
    I will try them but I don't know about the spicier the better for me...lol..that would be terrible heartburn...lol...plus I can't handle spice I rather have mild...lol

I use the pickled slices. The ones right outta the jar. The spicier the better. :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I actually like plain old boring sandwiches. However, I do use baby spinach in place of lettuce and sometimes I throw mushrooms on there. OH OH, pomegranate season is here and I'll put that on everything I eat.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Lime juice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes any sandwhich incredible. So much better than oil and vinegar.