Why can't I lose weight

Options
Hi I'm new on here n I'm have a hard time losing weight do u have any tips

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to lose weight? How long? You need to give more details to get tips.
  • Ian214
    Ian214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eat slowly, mindfully enjoy it and stop when your full.
  • gretchenhill
    gretchenhill Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You may follow these guidelines:
    - Start exercising. Getting a flat stomach involves losing belly fat. To achieve this, start a workout routine. If possible, exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. If this isn't possible, strive to exercise for at least 90 minutes a week - running, power walking, swimming or biking.
    - Strengthen the core muscles. In conjunction with losing belly fat, choose workouts that exercise the core muscles. Effective workouts include dancing, pilates, crunches, and knee and leg lifts. For the best result, keep your abdominal muscles tight during core workouts.
    - Improve your diet. Bad eating habits can impede weight loss efforts. Eliminate fatty foods and sugary foods from your diet. Choose lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, and eat no more than 130 grams of carbs a day.
    - Eliminate alcoholic beverages from your diet. Drinking more than two alcoholic beverages a day can raise cortisol levels in the body and decrease the metabolism. Cortisol increases hunger, and a slower metabolism makes it harder to burn fat and calories - especially in the abdomen.
    - Drink plenty of water. Water flushes excess sodium and fluids from your body, which can help you achieve a flat stomach. Additionally, drinking water fills your stomach quicker, and you're less likely to overeat.
    - Control stress. Being stressed or feeling anxious can also release high levels of cortisol. In addition to increasing appetite, this hormone redistributes fat to the abdomen. Learn how to control or reduce stress. Practice breathing exercises, workout or get a massage.
    - Reduce abdominal bloating. A low-fiber diet and certain foods can produce abdominal bloating. This prevents a flat stomach. Increase your fiber intake to fight bloating, and limit trigger foods such as beans, raw vegetables, lactose and starches. Take a digestive enzyme tablet to eliminate bloating.
    - Get a Bariatric Surgery to make you fit and healthy. Safe and affordable. Learn more from PlacidWay.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    if you cant lose weight, your not eating at a deficit. simple as that.

or...

your one of the rare un lucky ones that has gone your entire life undiagnosed with a serious medical condition which may be hindering your ability to lose weight...

but...

my money is on the easy and most realistic cause... your not eating at a deficit!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    - Start exercising. Getting a flat stomach involves losing belly fat. To achieve this, start a workout routine. If possible, exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. If this isn't possible, strive to exercise for at least 90 minutes a week - running, power walking, swimming or biking.

Aside from just cardio, I'd personally recommend having a balance of cardio and strength/resistance training. Examples of such are heavy lifting with barbells, strength exercises with dumbbells, sprinting, TRX Suspension, bodyweight routines, sandbags, etc. Cardio is great for endurance but it's never too early to start working on body composition and strength - which is done through strength/resistance training.
    - Strengthen the core muscles. In conjunction with losing belly fat, choose workouts that exercise the core muscles. Effective workouts include dancing, pilates, crunches, and knee and leg lifts. For the best result, keep your abdominal muscles tight during core workouts.

You cannot spot reduce belly fat. You have to lose the overall body fat and you can't choose where it comes from first. That's based on genetics. Keeping the core engaged is great, but doing the above isn't going to spot reduce.
    - Improve your diet. Bad eating habits can impede weight loss efforts. Eliminate fatty foods and sugary foods from your diet. Choose lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, and eat no more than 130 grams of carbs a day.
    - Eliminate alcoholic beverages from your diet. Drinking more than two alcoholic beverages a day can raise cortisol levels in the body and decrease the metabolism. Cortisol increases hunger, and a slower metabolism makes it harder to burn fat and calories - especially in the abdomen.

I disagree. I think eliminating foods and being overly restrictive can lead to binges, rage quits, and unneeded stress. Moderation really is key. It's not easy to start, of course, but with practice, you'll get there. Trying to demonize foods is wrong and creates an unhealthy mindset.

And want to point out that you NEED fat. Trying to eliminate that is just foolish. Fat doesn't make you fat. Eating at a calorie surplus above your maintenance does. And btw, MFP sets you up at a deficit so even if you go a little over, don't worry about it.
    - Drink plenty of water. Water flushes excess sodium and fluids from your body, which can help you achieve a flat stomach. Additionally, drinking water fills your stomach quicker, and you're less likely to overeat.

Drink when you're thirsty. Some people are good at 7-8 ounces, some do 10+...especially if they workout that day. If your pee is a pale yellow, you're hydrated. Be careful getting overzealous about it because there is such a thing as water toxicity.
    - Control stress. Being stressed or feeling anxious can also release high levels of cortisol. In addition to increasing appetite, this hormone redistributes fat to the abdomen. Learn how to control or reduce stress. Practice breathing exercises, workout or get a massage.
    - Reduce abdominal bloating. A low-fiber diet and certain foods can produce abdominal bloating. This prevents a flat stomach. Increase your fiber intake to fight bloating, and limit trigger foods such as beans, raw vegetables, lactose and starches. Take a digestive enzyme tablet to eliminate bloating.

Umm, it's recommended (for women) to get around 25g of fiber. I've never heard of beans being trigger foods. Unless you have an intolerance, are allergic, or find yourself having difficulty with certain foods, there is no need to take additional enzymes or cut foods out. Always check with your doctor if you are unsure.
    - Get a Bariatric Surgery to make you fit and healthy. Safe and affordable. Learn more from PlacidWay.

I have no idea why this person would tell someone with 25lbs to lose to get surgery. :noway: Don't listen to that at all OP.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Almost a complete no to all of this advice, most of it is incorrect pseudoscience...PikaKnight has already broken it down.

The last part about Surgery is well something for the OP and medical professionals to discuss (very doubtful necessary) and well quite ridiculous for you to even suggest.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Oh look, you copied and pasted this stuff from here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140216163201AAq5TVI

Suggesting bariatic surgery for someone with little weight to lose is a bad idea.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Oh look, you copied and pasted this stuff from here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140216163201AAq5TVI

Suggesting bariatic surgery for someone with little weight to lose is a bad idea.
    I suggest she goes to this thread for some education (not OP but the cut and paste woman)...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1203601-derpes-the-new-herpes
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I have no idea why this person would tell someone with 25lbs to lose to get surgery. :noway: Don't listen to that at all OP.

Bariatric Surgery is a tool that obese people can use to lose weight.

It will not 'make you fit and healthy' ... It shouldn't be a recommendation for someone with so little to lose.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just put this user under the ignore user column.

Aside from just cardio, I'd personally recommend having a balance of cardio and strength/resistance training. Examples of such are heavy lifting with barbells, strength exercises with dumbbells, sprinting, TRX Suspension, bodyweight routines, sandbags, etc. Cardio is great for endurance but it's never too early to start working on body composition and strength - which is done through strength/resistance training.

You cannot spot reduce belly fat. You have to lose the overall body fat and you can't choose where it comes from first. That's based on genetics. Keeping the core engaged is great, but doing the above isn't going to spot reduce.

I disagree. I think eliminating foods and being overly restrictive can lead to binges, rage quits, and unneeded stress. Moderation really is key. It's not easy to start, of course, but with practice, you'll get there. Trying to demonize foods is wrong and creates an unhealthy mindset.

And want to point out that you NEED fat. Trying to eliminate that is just foolish. Fat doesn't make you fat. Eating at a calorie surplus above your maintenance does. And btw, MFP sets you up at a deficit so even if you go a little over, don't worry about it.

Drink when you're thirsty. Some people are good at 7-8 ounces, some do 10+...especially if they workout that day. If your pee is a pale yellow, you're hydrated. Be careful getting overzealous about it because there is such a thing as water toxicity.

Umm, it's recommended (for women) to get around 25g of fiber. I've never heard of beans being trigger foods. Unless you have an intolerance, are allergic, or find yourself having difficulty with certain foods, there is no need to take additional enzymes or cut foods out. Always check with your doctor if you are unsure.

• nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Without more info it is hard to know what your problem is. Friend me and I will try to help.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Eat less.

Move more.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Here, since you aren't telling us what you're doing.. here are a few things you could try:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how long have you been at this?

are you taking measurements?

i know for me scale weight loss can be very slow, but i see consistent progress on tape measure and how my clothes fit . eventually there's a drop in scale weight that goes along with that but it's not a steady 1-2 pound loss per week
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I just put this user under the ignore user column.

The copy and paster, or the user that put together a well thought out and accurate response to said copy and paste.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit. You do this by eating less, moving more, or a combination of them both. Don't eat too little, it's not good for you and you don't need to be hungry and miserable to lose weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Here, since you aren't telling us what you're doing.. here are a few things you could try:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

+1
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

+1

+2