How to walk for weight loss?

I was just wondering whats the most effective way to use the treadmill for weight loss i know most of the weight loss comes from diet but i feel the need to do cardio for instance today i did 50 minutes of walking at 3.3 with 3 10-12 minutes bouts with the incline at 5.5% and 6% then i did the last 10 minutes with a few jogs minute on and minute of just at 3.3 with no incline i did this about 5 times is this a good routine?

on a side note im 344 pounds i cant walk that much at a fast pace but slow and steady i cant get a full hour in usually do 30 minutes straight rest for 15 minutes do another 10 minutes rest for 10 minutes and do another 10 im just worried that im not doing enough excercise.

thanks for the help

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    The goal should be to do something you are comfortable with. Forget speed or incline if these are hard on you. Establish a routine that you are fine with, that you can keep following and that will not hurt you. A leisurely walk for 1 hour is a great habit, and it is much better to do this routinely than e.g. stress yourself about jogging for 10 minutes. When you first start exercising, walking or swimming are by far the safest options, especially if you have a lot of extra weight.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    It's whatever gets your heart rate into your target zone. That pace will not be the same for you as the person next to you. So put the speed and incline on whatever gets your heart rate up.