what foods to eat to gain weight

hey everyone I'm a 5'11 178 guy that likes to workout everyday and take off at least two days a week to rest however my diet really sucks and I just want some tips and what foods I could start eating so i can gain about 7 pounds of mass within the next two months..but I wanna do this without taking protein shakes, Im aiming to eat a minimum of 100g of protein per day but I just need help with what foods would be needed to reach this goal on a daily basis. I've been reading a lot of people's post in here and most require protein shakes but like I said I want to avoid them and just eat natural protein. I used to workout and I started back up dec 25th and I'm going into my second complete month of working out and I feel good I was weighting 173 dec 25th and I gained the 5 pounds by eating a lot but eating the wrong kinds of foods...so if anyone can help me set up a good healthy diet to gain weight it'd be really helpful thanks

Replies

• benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    7 pounds "of mass"? well you can gain 7 pounds of fat in two months, not muscle though unless you're on steroids.

100g of protein is a laughable amount for someone who's supposedly a serious body builder like you. I suggest doing some research and eating like 17-180g of protein per day.

Anyways, if you want to get fat, just eat more calories. Doesn't matter where they come from. Just try and eat at least 3,000 calories a day and have at least 180g of your macro nutrients be from protein.
  • I agree with 100g of protein not being enough but considering the fact that my diet sucks and I don't eat anywhere that amount a day i thought it would be a start..how many grams of protein do you have per day and also if you wouldn't mind sharing what foods you eat a day to achieve your protein Intake
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    hey everyone I'm a 5'11 178 guy that likes to workout everyday and take off at least two days a week to rest however my diet really sucks and I just want some tips and what foods I could start eating so i can gain about 7 pounds of mass within the next two months..but I wanna do this without taking protein shakes, Im aiming to eat a minimum of 100g of protein per day but I just need help with what foods would be needed to reach this goal on a daily basis. I've been reading a lot of people's post in here and most require protein shakes but like I said I want to avoid them and just eat natural protein. I used to workout and I started back up dec 25th and I'm going into my second complete month of working out and I feel good I was weighting 173 dec 25th and I gained the 5 pounds by eating a lot but eating the wrong kinds of foods...so if anyone can help me set up a good healthy diet to gain weight it'd be really helpful thanks

It's not really so much about what you are eating, as it is about what you are doing. If are you just eating at a surplus and sitting around on your butt, you are going to gain fat, no matter what you are eating, because that is what your body does with surplus fuel when you aren't making it work. If you trying to gain mass, you need to start a body building program of heavy lifting, which will force your body to use the excess to build muscle. Extra protein can be gained by eating any protein-rich foods (do some research, or join a group right here on MFP). A goal of 100 for protein really isn't that high. I'm a 5'8" female at 128 lbs and my goal is 120.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    How about you just eat a couple pounds of meat per day.
  • awesome! great to know ill def do some research into a body builder program and also look to achieve a higher goal of protein like 180g per day to increase my weight!
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    When you feel like munching, eat some good-quality trail mix - especially with almonds. Those are good calories.
  • I understand what you are all trying to say but I need a diet or tips from you guys about what foods can help me reach 180 grams of protein per day
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    0GPRYx7m.jpg

it's a cheap, protein-dense food source.
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    No diet "requires" protein shakes. They're just a very quick, convenient and easy way to reach your protein goals.

Supplement
    noun
    something added to complete a thing, supply a deficiency, or reinforce or extend a whole.

I think most people forget this.
  • their diets don't require the protein shakes but I meant to say that the shakes are part of their diets and I want to eliminate that from mine
  • 0GPRYx7m.jpg

it's a cheap, protein-dense food source.

QFT

Funny story about the Chik-Fil-A cows, my Graphic Design instructor dated the guy who came up with that campaign.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    •Turkey or chicken
    •Lean cuts of beef or pork,
    •Fish or shellfish
    •Pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, lentils, split peas, or garbanzo beans
    •Nuts and seeds, including almonds, hazelnuts, mixed nuts, peanuts, peanut butter, sunflower seeds, or walnuts
    •Tofu, tempeh, and other soy protein products
    • dairy products
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    I understand what you are all trying to say but I need a diet or tips from you guys about what foods can help me reach 180 grams of protein per day

Chicken
    Tuna
    salmon
    eggs
    bacon
    peanut butter
    ground beef
    pasta made with egg whites
    Greek yogurt
    steak
    whey protein

and many more......

Just add a few of theses daily, combine with other foods that have a small amount of protein, should get you to 180 + easily

For your height and weight, i'd say you should be at around 3500 cals + daily as well.

its a slow process.
  • this is a great input with the foods thank you to all for the tips !
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Nut Butters
    Beans
    Whole Wheat Breads
    Greek Yogurt
    Almonds
    Eggs
    Milk and other dairy products
    Oatmeal
    Quinoa

Those are the big ones for me. I do use protein shakes because my goal is 110g and as a vegetarian I have a hard time making that with just food alone.

Do you not want to do meal replacement type shakes or any sort of protein powders at all? I add a scoop of Vega protein powders to my smoothies each day, it's clean, vegan protein.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Bump
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    No diet "requires" protein shakes. They're just a very quick, convenient and easy way to reach your protein goals.

Supplement
    noun
    something added to complete a thing, supply a deficiency, or reinforce or extend a whole.

I think most people forget this.

I require a protein shake :) I can't meet my protein goals without exceeding my fat quantities when eating other protein dense foods. I have protein shakes because I enjoy them, as well.

ETA : Sure I could have tuna etc, but then I wouldn't be enjoy my diet.