Am I doing enough?

I'm 19 and I weigh 137lbs currently. I'm trying to lose around 17lbs and generally tone up.
I was wondering if eating around 1200-1500 calories a day and going to the gym 3-4 times a week doing an hour of cardio and the 30 day shred DVD 6 times a week is enough to lose weight? I'm also doing home toning exercises a few times a week to tone up overall but is this enough to lose weight and keep it off?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I'm 19 and I weigh 137lbs currently. I'm trying to lose around 17lbs and generally tone up.
    I was wondering if eating around 1200-1500 calories a day and going to the gym 3-4 times a week doing an hour of cardio and the 30 day shred DVD 6 times a week is enough to lose weight? I'm also doing home toning exercises a few times a week to tone up overall but is this enough to lose weight and keep it off?

the key to losing weight is calculating what your maintenance level of caloric intake is and then eating below that. Exercise is important for fitness and to help you build a slightly larger caloric deficit, but they key to losing weight is eating at a caloric deficit. Primarily, eating fewer calories than you burn in a day. When you registered for MFP, did you enter your activity level and weight and everything so it could calculate your daily calories for you?
    It should then tell you how many calories you should consume in a day based on how much weight you told MFP you want to lose. (The deficit is built in for you).
    Purchase a digital food scale and weigh all of your solid food, and measure all of your liquid food. This will ensure accuracy in your calorie counts for each day so you know you are eating at the recommended deficit.