Advice on Food intake

Options
Hi Guys,

Currently i'm recovering from bad eating habits. I slowly cut out all "bad" foods in the hope of getting a nice lean female sixpack and muscle bum.

I'm 5ft3 and 88.8lbs, I calculated that my daily calorie intake should be around 1800 to gain 0.55lbs a week. I'm a bit scared to eat much more than that because at the moment i don't have time to work out, and i absolutely don't wanna lose my lean belly.
I'm only doing 10minutes of squats/abb exercises a day.

Could someone give me advice on my food diary. I really would like to gain slowly some more muscles (and fat because thats part of the deal right? ;-)

All the advice is more than welkom!!

Thanks a lot! xx

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I see excellent protein numbers. More than enough. (Most people aren't like that.)

Just keep doing what you're doing. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Dutch, so I'm not sure what some of the foods are, but I have figured most of them out, I think, since they seem very similar to English for the most part.

You will probably have to increase intake and workouts over time in order to gain weight.

Btw, a good weight for your height is around 110-135 or so.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Currently i'm recovering from bad eating habits. I slowly cut out all "bad" foods in the hope of getting a nice lean female sixpack and muscle bum.

I'm 5ft3 and 88.8lbs, I calculated that my daily calorie intake should be around 1800 to gain 0.55lbs a week. I'm a bit scared to eat much more than that because at the moment i don't have time to work out, and i absolutely don't wanna lose my lean belly.
    I'm only doing 10minutes of squats/abb exercises a day.

Could someone give me advice on my food diary. I really would like to gain slowly some more muscles (and fat because thats part of the deal right? ;-)

All the advice is more than welkom!!

Thanks a lot! xx

I see excellent protein and nutrition numbers as well; good job!

Out of curiosity, did you get your 1800 calorie estimate from MFP or a TDEE calculator? By guessing your age, the TDEE calculators are returning a TDEE of ~1700 - 1800 calories per day to maintain your current weight.

Just curious.. Good luck!
  • annedieuwertje
    annedieuwertje Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you advice guys!

Sorry for the dutch! :)

It is based upon my TDEE +200. My TDEE would be around 1500, but there is a difference between the formulas. What's the best one to use?
    What would be a good intake? i'm 25 and work as a nurse in a hospital 3 days a week but the rest of my time i'm sitting behind a desk.

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate the help!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

It is based upon my TDEE +200. My TDEE would be around 1500, but there is a difference between the formulas. What's the best one to use?
    What would be a good intake? i'm 25 and work as a nurse in a hospital 3 days a week but the rest of my time i'm sitting behind a desk.

Optimal intake isn't possible to determine through numbers. You can only get an estimate. The rest is trial and error whether you use MFP's default or you use one of the TDEE methods instead.

I had the same issue, and never got a good answer...so I started with the MFP method instead and still use it today. It's based on "NEAT" (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). I have mine set to active...and then I log all intense physical activity in addition, and eat back the exercise calories...and then a surplus for weight gain. My surplus is usually 400-500 calories (I started out eating at maintenance, then added a 150-cal surplus, and slowly worked up as needed). Obviously the exercise burns are an estimation, but so would your TDEE be one.

TDEE would be good for someone who does the same level and type of activity each week.

MFP's method is better if you have a diverse range of calorie burn activities over time.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "bad" food, only irresponsible eating of foods.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

Optimal intake isn't possible to determine through numbers. You can only get an estimate. The rest is trial and error whether you use MFP's default or you use one of the TDEE methods instead.

I had the same issue, and never got a good answer...so I started with the MFP method instead and still use it today. It's based on "NEAT" (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). I have mine set to active...and then I log all intense physical activity in addition, and eat back the exercise calories...and then a surplus for weight gain. My surplus is usually 400-500 calories (I started out eating at maintenance, then added a 150-cal surplus, and slowly worked up as needed). Obviously the exercise burns are an estimation, but so would your TDEE be one.

TDEE would be good for someone who does the same level and type of activity each week.

MFP's method is better if you have a diverse range of calorie burn activities over time.

^^ This is very true. The proper amount of calorie overage you need is experimental for each person.

Personally, I base my calorie needs off of the TDEE estimate (with the Mifflin equation), sync MFP with FitBit and Endomondo, and my caloric needs are adjusted within MFP so I know what I need to eat. As for gaining weight, exactly what he said above.

FYI: If you choose the TDEE approach, you will need to re-estimate your TDEE periodically as your weight and activity levels change.

Good luck!
  • CarlHelgesson
    Options
    I think it looks good!

Try to eat most of your carbs during, especially after, your workouts - to use the benefits of you insulin.

You may cut some of the carbs and replace with som healthy fats.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and just change it when you don't get the results you want.

Good luck!
  • annedieuwertje
    Options
    But if i eat more healthy fats, isn't that going to go straight to fat on my body, as if i use carbs the body still first uses that?

Thanks a lot! I'm going to proceed and will change some things around when i don't get results.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    But if i eat more healthy fats, isn't that going to go straight to fat on my body, as if i use carbs the body still first uses that?

Thanks a lot! I'm going to proceed and will change some things around when i don't get results.

Everyone thinks fat goes to body fat. It's not true. It can only happen if you're eating a fairly large surplus consistently.

Fat does create body fat more readily than protein, because protein takes more energy to digest/metabolize than fat.

But if you're working out enough with weights and it's challenging, and you're getting enough protein and carbs, your body isn't to going to invest a lot of effort into storing fat, so it's not an issue. I like 50% carbs/20-25% protein/25-30% fat for building muscle. There are calculators online that let you figure out those percentages from the numbers of grams of each you've eaten.

Meal timing isn't important when on a surplus, but...

Make sure you get enough protein in the part of the day before your workout. Or if you workout early, eat protein right after. And definitely eat some of your carbs right after the workout. If you're going to eat stuff with sugar, right after the workout is probably the best time.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

Everyone thinks fat goes to body fat. It's not true. It can only happen if you're eating a fairly large surplus consistently.

Fat does create body fat more readily than protein, because protein takes more energy to digest/metabolize than fat.

But if you're working out enough with weights and it's challenging, and you're getting enough protein and carbs, your body isn't to going to invest a lot of effort into storing fat, so it's not an issue. I like 50% carbs/20-25% protein/25-30% fat for building muscle. There are calculators online that let you figure out those percentages from the numbers of grams of each you've eaten.

Meal timing isn't important when on a surplus, but...

Make sure you get enough protein in the part of the day before your workout. Or if you workout early, eat protein right after. And definitely eat some of your carbs right after the workout. If you're going to eat stuff with sugar, right after the workout is probably the best time.

^^ This.

Also, healthy fats are essential for good nutrition all around. I would recommend taking a look at:

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter6.htm

Good luck!
  • annedieuwertje
    Options
    That's clear! thanks!
  • tpaul98
    Options
    About a year ago, I was in the exact same boat, 85 lbs. and 5 ft. 4 in. If you really want to recover, let go of the numbers, it's really scary, but the only way you'll be able to recover is if you stop calculating those damn calories, I guarantee you will have anxiety, but you'll be happier knowing that you don't have to go home and type in how many tablespoons of nuts you had. Anorexia is not only a disease that leaves you physically unwell, but also mentally unwell, so delete your account and concentrate on something more important than counting your calories (believe it or not I actually lost my period on about 1500 cals. a day!)