Any other teachers out there?

Options
Adomke89
Adomke89 Posts: 35 Member
I'm just rejoining My Fitness Pal since I've left college, started teaching, and become even more unhealthy than I used to be because of lack of time/too much work/ etc.

Any other teachers out there?

Specifically I teach biology.

Replies

• stephysmile03
    Options
    I teach 1st grade and struggled with the time crunch all school year long. Right now I use the app to track food and hit the gym after school (after I pick up my kids) at least 3 times a week. I aim for 5 as long as there is nothing going on. It is hard fitting it in all the time, but I found that if I make myself go I am better for it.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am an English teacher at a boarding school; I have been teaching for ten years, and in that time, I have earned a Master's Degree, gotten married, and taken on various additional responsibilities at my school (coaching, ACT tutoring, etc). Oh yeah, and in those ten years, I have gained seventy pounds, lost sixty, and gained seventy back again. This January, I went to the doctor and was told that the only health concern I had was that I was overweight, and that it was something that I needed to get control of, and I realized that there was no excuse for essentially setting myself up to die early because I was making excuses to myself to not take care of myself. My husband also found out that he had early precursors to heart disease and pre-diabetic sugar levels, despite his being a very active individual, and he realized that he needed to make lifestyle changes, too. I changed my habits in terms of both diet and exercise, and I am currently down 14lbs so far, and my husband's bloodwork has been more positive, too.

It can be hard to make changes with a teacher's schedule, especially in your first few years. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are looking for more support and communication with other teachers :D
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    me me me!!!! I teach Audio video production. I am also in grad school to become a school counselor. I will be done with that in december.

Hubby is also a teacher (and coach).
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I teach a split grade 1/2/3 class. I find my schedule incredibly busy and I struggled to get workouts in all year. Right now I am working out after school with another teacher 4-5 times/week. I'm trying my best to eat well but sometimes husband and I make dinners that are quick and more on the unhealthy side.
    Any other teacher who are struggling to make healthy choices feel free to add me!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm technically speaking a biology teacher, although I'm currently both employed and self-employed doing various different things.
  • amarisstorm
    amarisstorm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am! I teach special education and time is a constant issue. All the yummy things people share doesn't help much either.
  • offbeatdave
    Options
    Personally I find it's the holidays which are the challenge. Term time means easy routines my set breakfast and lunch 'menus' are in operation! (Well, apart from days other staff have been showing off their amazing baking skills!)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    High school Aquatic Science reporting in.....
  • Heardu
    Heardu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I teach Second Grade. I too have a hectic schedule so I try to work out in the mornings. I find it difficult to navigate the food celebrations for almost every holiday, birthday, etc.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30 pounds my first 6 months of teaching from stress alone, but would not recommend that as a diet strategy.

Now I'm working off those same 30 pounds but at a much slower rate. If you are teaching highschool biology some things to consider:

1. Pack your breakfasts and lunches for the whole week on sunday. I have greek yogurt w/honey, hard boiled eggs and apples for breakfast, and PBJ and a snack size bag of popcorn for lunch. Easy, takes up no time, can be eaten all at once or broken in to smaller snacks throughout the day when I'm busy, and keeps me full but leaves me with plenty of room for dinner.

2. Check out the gym and track equipment at your school. I recently found a hidden weight room that has 3 full power racks and treadmills, basically everything I would get from a gym membership, but for free and I can change clothes and head strait down after the last bell. Hardly anyone ever uses it so I have the room to myself. Ask the football coaches, they should know where everything is and the best times to use it.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been teaching for 29 yrs--elementary art. My tips are: NEVER eat in the lunchroom, pack your own healthy lunches/breakfasts and NEVER use the vending machine! Make time for exercise, I work out at 5 am before school.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a substitute teacher, but I'm in school for special ed preschool!
  • MadMath
    Options
    I am a math teacher at a technical college in Georgia!