When I have more calories, I eat worse

Options
When I only have a hundred calories left, I eat a piece of fruit. When I have 300 calories, I eat candy. Now that I'm in maintenance mode and can eat so much more, I'm eating less healthy food. I know there's nothing wrong with candy now and then but it would be good to have the apple first.

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could plan more calories into your main meals so there are less left over calories for snacks?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I only have a hundred calories left, I eat a piece of fruit. When I have 300 calories, I eat candy. Now that I'm in maintenance mode and can eat so much more, I'm eating less healthy food. I know there's nothing wrong with candy now and then but it would be good to have the apple first.

So eat the apple first, then have a piece of candy. I'm not sure I understand your problem.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

So eat the apple first, then have a piece of candy. I'm not sure I understand your problem.

This.

Or just have a fruit flavored ice cream. Kill two birds with one stone.
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    dang set that guilt down and walk away. you lost your weight your eating so as to not gain weight, eat and enjoy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting adequate fat, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, then fill the calories with what ever food you like that would help you meed these goals, if already hit the above, eat what ever you want.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    While I also agree with "dang set that guilt down and walk away" you obviously came here because you want to make healthier choices.

Prelogging might help. If you know what your meals are going to be, you can pre-log your day and make changes if something changes. I tend to pick my breakfast and lunch well, they're usually healthy, but towards the end of the day I can fall off, so on my way to the gym I log my post-workout shake, my dinner and a snack. If there's anything left over AFTER that I can eat junk.

Also consider that eating an apple with a nut butter or even nutella could be more satisfying than a candy bar after all. Think of all that texture and sweetness :)
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I think I might understand what you mean, I did the same thing when I went into maintenance and now I'm back to lose the weight I gained back from my...I guess you can say "arrogance". You're right, there's nothing wrong with candy, but if you go too far it'll come back to haunt you in the end. The best thing you can do is what someone else said, Add more calories into other meals and leave less for snacking. Then when you want to snack grab the fruit, yogurt or other healthy stuff first. Don't even keep the candy or other stuff in your house. Make it as inconvenient as possible to have the candy, ice cream etc.

If you do go for the candy or other stuff, DONT feel guilty about it and then continue to eat it, that'll only get you someplace you don't want to be. Hope this helps. Remember why you wanted to lose in the first place :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Then have the apple first... You are in control of what you eat....
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you're already eating things like yogurt or drinking milk, maybe switch to higher calorie versions of that item (as well as eating more nuts, nut butter, olive oil, etc.) That way, you're stepping out of the "diet" mindset, but still eating for healthy living.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

This.

Or fruit pie with a scoop of ice cream.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    candy is not evil. if you have calories left and you want a piece of candy eat a piece of candy. it wont kill you or make you fat. Promise. Apple+Candy FTW. Filling and fun.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

If you have the room, ok!

You're in your calorie range. If weight maintenance is your main goal, then, don't sweat it.

If you have some other health issues that cause you to worry about your sugar levels, then ok. Keep that in check.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

This.

Or fruit pie with a scoop of ice cream.

These are all really good solutions.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    once you have hit your micronutrient needs, you don't get bonus points for getting more :smile:

That being said, candy (if you are referring to most high sugar low fat ones) taste like *kitten* to me. Ice cream FTW.
  • Trixsterfan
    Trixsterfan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I fully understand where you are coming from, I own a chocolate shop so temptation is with me daily, do what I do pre-load your foods and stick to them, AND get rid of the candy and other treats from your home, do it now!!!!!!
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm also just trying to maintain these days. It is really hard not to go to comfort food when you have extra calories. I've bought the little 150 calories brownies (I think they are Duncan Hines) and have it with a little ice cream. It doesn't kill my day, but I feel like I had a nice treat. Sometimes, I'll have a Greek yogurt (more protein).
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm with the 'a little of what you want won't kill you' mantra here, and my vice is a biscuit with my evening mug of tea. 1 is fine; if I revert back to 3 or 4 then it is a problem. Of course, I could go for the banana....
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your daily goal might be slightly low. Raise it maybe 50-100 for 1 week and see if the binges and cravings stop.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are stuck in "diet" mode. You are "on" diet and feel in control and inspired to eat perfectly but when you are "off" diet you feel your sense of control and motivation slipping away tinged with panic.

I am sure you know this already but it bears repeating. Cover your nutritional bases. If you have calories left over eat what you like. No "good" or "bad" foods. No "on" diet or "off" diet. No guilt. No shame. You're a human being. You're meant to be imperfect.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your macros though? If not you need to be using those extra calories wisely.