"Dieting" and losing LBM...and then bulking

Options
Has anyone here who is bulking now, previously gone on a diet, but did it before you knew the right way to lose weight without losing LBM? And as a result you lost a good amount of muscle (say 5 or more pounds of it)...

And now you're purposely gaining weight to get the muscle back.

Has this happened to anyone here? I'm not talking about intentional bulk/cut cycles where you lose 1-2 lbs of muscle on an aggressive cut. I'm talking about weight loss that was either intentional or unintentional, and resulted in a loss of significant LBM.

(I was never overweight, but a similar thing happened to me years ago. I had very low body fat, and accidently didn't eat enough to hit maintenance on average for a number of years (because I didn't know about maintenance intake/eating back exercise calories back then) and didn't strength train often. Result was a 20-lb weight loss over about 10 years, most of which was LBM. And to get it back, I've been finding I have to eat a lot more than I ever did in the past...

And now I'm bulking. Anyone else with similar experiences?

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It's a shame, but a lot of the scientific papers I've read on energy expenditure and caloric needs, talk about a universal decrease in BMR as people diet. And they have found that it's due almost entirely to muscle loss. I say it's a shame because they just accept that muscle loss is part of losing weight/dieting (but it doesn't have to be).
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar boat. I've had not the best relationship with food, and didn't realize I'd been eating at a consistent deficit for years until I started having to reduce weights on my lifts and was still injuring myself even at the lighter weights. Yay for losing muscle.

I took about six weeks to step up my intake, then started eating consistently at (what should be) a surplus at the beginning of January. Since then, I've already upped my intake by 100cal/day once, but I'm anticipating I'll have to do that at least once more. I'm trying to take it very slowly and give my body plenty of time to adjust, so I could probably be upping more quickly but I'm choosing not to. I'm gaining strength fairly quickly, which I love; my weight is up since I started but it's still fluctuating a lot. I guess that's pretty common for women trying to bulk, so I'm just trying to stick with it and enjoy the process.
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree with you that it doesn't have to be.

I'm still working on getting to my goal weight; I haven't succeeded yet. I work with a personal trainer 3x/week who has a Tanita Ironman scale, where it tells you muscle mass, % body fat and such. He weighs me on it once/month so we have an idea of where I'm at as far as % body fat & muscle. While it might not be the most accurate method out there, it's relative from month to month by using the same reference point. With the trainer, I lift weights & I do cardio on my own.

What I've found is that when I succeed in eating well; then my body fat % will drop while muscle mass stays relatively the same. However, if I eat poorly that month, even though I might show a weight loss, the muscle mass and % hydration will drop. His goal is to keep my muscle mass relatively the same while losing % body fat. I've had muscle mass drop 5 lbs in a month before, then I'm able to bring it back up.
  • waternazi59
    Options
    ...decrease in BMR as people diet. And they have found that it's due almost entirely to muscle loss. I say it's a shame because they just accept that muscle loss is part of losing weight/dieting (but it doesn't have to be).

Hello! I'm new here but your post caught my attention, could you please point me in the direction of informing myself how not to lose muscle as a result of losing weight? Tks. W
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    I always feel like people who have weight to lose would avoid having to intentionally bulk later if they could just keep the muscle. I've read that people eating enough protein and who are active in ways that trigger protein sysnthesis from time-to-time, tend to gain about 30-40% of their weight as LBM when they gat "fat" from overeating chronically. Probably 20-35% of that total LBM is muscle, I would guess. So, the moral of the story is that "getting fat" is really like a bulk phase, just with a lower ratio of muscle gain and a higher ratio of fat gain.

But then people go and do the exact opposite when they lose, and shed most of what they built up. And their BMR decreases.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, the good part is that you can regain that lost LBM fairly quickly. Within a couple months.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    When I lost weight a while back (before I started lifting) I was eating around 1200 cals and burning off 500-600 calories everyday. Not only that, but I was eating maybe 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Most of the weight I lost was muscle and when I did do a mini bulk, I was eating "maintenance" and 100-200 cals over some days and gained a considerable amount of fat to my already flabby body.

It took a long time @ 1700 cals and lifting to fix my stupid mistakes, and I'm still cutting. When I see people eating only fruits and vegetables, 2 hrs of cardio everyday, 1000 cals (or less), I cringe and want to sit them down and just tell them how ridiculous they're being again and again until it clicks. I tried this with my sister but it hasn't clicked with her yet, b/c she's lost "4 pounds".

Dieting like that, fasting etc were the dumbest things I have ever done and wish I could go back at eat a sensible 1400-1500 cals of proper macros, but can't change the past! I think also when the bmr is so low, muscle is lost, bulking leads to more fat gain primarily anyway right? (Not sure, but I read this somewhere).
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Im in this situation, but Im not gaining weight now, just losing more fat and then Ill gain. I was doing tons of exercise( insanity everyday, football and jogging), not feeding myself enough calories, probably getting around 1200 a day which is nothing for a guy and I also wasnt eating enough protein while fasting most of the time. I also didnt strength train. I just wanted the fat gone and all I knew was to do more exercise and eat less, I knew nothing about macros. I lost a lot of muscle, more than fat. Now Im working on stripping of the fat and then Ill start bulking. It really does suck.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    Well, the good part is that you can regain that lost LBM fairly quickly. Within a couple months.

Not for me! My new "set point" appears to be my *current* weight, since I've been here (+/-6 lbs) for a few years now. I wish it was my old/default weight, but it's not. My body is doing everything it can to try to burn calories to keep from gaining. I am trying meditation to help reduce this.

Gaining is therefore taking a lot of calories.

I bulked for 3 months, and gained 7-8 lbs, then lost 2, for a net gain of 5 or so...

Back at it.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    When I lost weight a while back (before I started lifting) I was eating around 1200 cals and burning off 500-600 calories everyday. Not only that, but I was eating maybe 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Most of the weight I lost was muscle and when I did do a mini bulk, I was eating "maintenance" and 100-200 cals over some days and gained a considerable amount of fat to my already flabby body.

It took a long time @ 1700 cals and lifting to fix my stupid mistakes, and I'm still cutting. When I see people eating only fruits and vegetables, 2 hrs of cardio everyday, 1000 cals (or less), I cringe and want to sit them down and just tell them how ridiculous they're being again and again until it clicks. I tried this with my sister but it hasn't clicked with her yet, b/c she's lost "4 pounds".

Dieting like that, fasting etc were the dumbest things I have ever done and wish I could go back at eat a sensible 1400-1500 cals of proper macros, but can't change the past! I think also when the bmr is so low, muscle is lost, bulking leads to more fat gain primarily anyway right? (Not sure, but I read this somewhere).

Omg we are the EXACT same. xD
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

Omg we are the EXACT same. xD

Similar deal here. But as a guy I was eating in the low 2000s or so, rather than low/mid 1000s. I definitely didn't know I was supposed to eat back exercise calories, either...until I found MFP.

Yeah, for women if your body fat level is really low, your body is probably trying to increase essential fat levels a bit before devoting a lot of resources to muscle.
  • ashlystr
    Options
    I think that a lot of it has to do with WHAT the calories are that you eat, and HOW you exercise.

In terms of what you're eating and how you're getting the calories you have to be consuming calories that do some of the work for you, focusing on raw fruits and veggies as much as possible while consuming enough protein. It is important to only up your protein past normal levels if you are working out enough to compensate for it, otherwise it will just result in increased fat.

There is exercise for fat burn, which is at 65% of your heart rate and then exercise for cardio that is at 80% of your heart rate. If you want to burn fat without losing a lot of muscle, I really recommend staying in the fat burning target heart rate and exercising for a bit longer of time but only while in that fat burning zone. Also, the focus should be on doing weights with the most amount of weight possible for 10-15 reps, as opposed to doing a lot of reps with a low amount of weight. I have been able to lose 10 lbs so far without losing any muscle, in fact, I have gained a fair amount of muscle in my legs and arms.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm in a bit of the same boat. I lifted heavy 3 times per week while losing 40 lbs over 6 months. According to my body fat scales, I lost about 6 pounds of muscle. So i'm working now on adding some muscle. Some will disagree, but I think it is inevitable to lose some muscle. The heavy lifting and not too large a deficit, will help you maintain as much as possible.

So in the end, I'm hoping to have the same amount of muscle with just less fat. I'm hoping to be there by summer.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly in the situation you're describing but I have lost a bunch of muscle over the last few years as I focused more on running and less on lifting heavy things. After a half marathon in may I'm planning to spend some time getting some of the meat back. It's going to be interesting to see how that will work out now that I'm a bit older. ;)
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just to cheer people up, LBM can and is regained.

I lost about 10kg over a period of about 6 months through undereating without any exercise because I was unwell, taking my BMI dangerously low. I had no MFP to help me with a sensible regain, and just had to guess and increase my intake in stages. It took me about 9 months to regain it and be within healthy BMI range.

Good news? Even though I was not lifting during the regain I ended up with a very respectable (for a woman) 23% body fat, so I must have had a good amount of LBM increase and it was not flab that I put on.

I have now started lifting (awesome fun) and want to bulk to increase my lifts. I still instinctively undereat, and bulking is proving an uphill struggle. However I do take hope from the fact that I managed good LBM before and can do so again.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I did it the wrong way, and dropped all my weight eating at a deficit that some would consider large I think. I usually ate around 1500 calories, and burned around 700-800 each day. Wasn't right, but it worked.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Lots of people (Thanks, bro-science, media, and Dr. Oz!) lose weight by cutting calories and increasing their cardio. That's a fantastic recipe to drop pounds, sure, but also to drop MUSCLE.

As the Enlightened Losers know, the goal SHOULD be called Fat Loss, not Weight Loss. I want to drop fat. I want to keep my muscle, so I can keep my shape and be strong and fit. When I'm on a "cut" I lift heavy weights and continue to eat as much protein as my deficit will allow, which has allowed me to in fact GAIN muscle while losing fat. This continues to be my goal, and though the "pounds" change more slowly, the appearance of my body and my strength changes drastically with a few lb. loss.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    Lots of people (Thanks, bro-science, media, and Dr. Oz!) lose weight by cutting calories and increasing their cardio. That's a fantastic recipe to drop pounds, sure, but also to drop MUSCLE.

As the Enlightened Losers know, the goal SHOULD be called Fat Loss, not Weight Loss. I want to drop fat. I want to keep my muscle, so I can keep my shape and be strong and fit. When I'm on a "cut" I lift heavy weights and continue to eat as much protein as my deficit will allow, which has allowed me to in fact GAIN muscle while losing fat. This continues to be my goal, and though the "pounds" change more slowly, the appearance of my body and my strength changes drastically with a few lb. loss.

There's some good info there! And I agree with the terminology issue. And I hate broscience.

I'm putting on a little bit of flab over time from my surplus. I imagine someday I'll have to cut or recomp.

Just curious, how much did you jack up your protein and how much of a deficit did you use on your cut(s)?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

There's some good info there! And I agree with the terminology issue. And I hate broscience.

I'm putting on a little bit of flab over time from my surplus. I imagine someday I'll have to cut or recomp.

Just curious, how much did you jack up your protein and how much of a deficit did you use on your cut(s)?

When you're taking in a surplus, some of that will be stored as fat, and that's OK! Nothing wrong with a good slow bulk, and a subsequent cut if you so desire.
    My protein is about (or just under) 1g/1lb of bodyweight. My deficit varies based on activity level, but without "calories burned" aspect, they're about 200 below maintenance estimate, daily. I do not eat my deficit. And I do consistently increase the weight on my lifts. Each week I aim to either go up in weight, or increase by 2 reps. When I hit 12 reps (3 sets usually) I increase the weight so I can only do 8 again.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    Thanks!
    Each week I aim to either go up in weight, or increase by 2 reps. When I hit 12 reps (3 sets usually) I increase the weight so I can only do 8 again.

And wow...even during a deficit! How long you been lifting?