Runtastic makes no sense

Options
Today's cardio: 3.34 miles in 50 minutes.

Set Runtastic to walking as type: 223 Calories.
Set Runtastic to treadmill as type: 508 Calories.

Any explanation?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that the "treadmill" setting is for running, not walking, on a treadmill and the formula is set accordingly.
  • danamack
    danamack Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm frustrated with Runtastic too. If you use the gps it shouldn't matter whether you have it set to running or walking, but I've run when I've unknowingly had it set to walk and earned about half of what I would have earned for running. A 9/mile is a 9/mile, I feel like my calories should be calculated based on that. Ugh!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I'm frustrated with Runtastic too. If you use the gps it shouldn't matter whether you have it set to running or walking, but I've run when I've unknowingly had it set to walk and earned about half of what I would have earned for running. A 9/mile is a 9/mile, I feel like my calories should be calculated based on that. Ugh!

Even speed walking produces a different caloric burn than running. But yeah ... blame the app for your inability to tell it what activity you're doing. :huh:
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Even speed walking produces a different caloric burn than running. But yeah ... blame the app for your inability to tell it what activity you're doing. :huh:

The point is that you should burn the same amount of calories whether you walk/speed walk or run 9miles. The calorie burn is the same for the distance. So the fact that Runtastic gives different calorie burns for the same distance is definitely a fault of the app
  • brianpperkins
    Options

The point is that you should burn the same amount of calories whether you walk/speed walk or run 9miles. The calorie burn is the same for the distance. So the fact that Runtastic gives different calorie burns for the same distance is definitely a fault of the app

Actually ... you shouldn't (and don't) burn the same calories walking/speed walking and running. Different activities use different muscles and trigger different metabolic processes in the body. Claiming that they should burn the same calories is wrong. Failure to properly set a piece of equipment is the fault of the operator, not the device.
  • danamack
    Options
    Sure, they do burn different amounts, but not as dramatic as Runtastic assumes. For example, I took my dog for a walk yesterday so I had it set to walking. A mile in it started to rain, and my dog who normally does not run was amenable and ran the last two miles with me. The first mile was a14/mile, the last 2 were 9/miles and I earned 155 calories total. Even if I was speedwalking a 9/mile rather than running it I'm pretty sure that would be more calories than what Runtastic calculated.
  • danamack
    Options
    And further more, the way to change your activity is a settings thing rather than select before you start your activity. When you start a gps exercise the app displays 'Standard Activity', not 'Running' or 'Walking' so you have to remember what you set your Standard Activity to which is silly. Most often I am running, but when I take my dog on long walks I do change it and if I forget to change it back, again in the settings so not a one cllick process, then my activity history and calorie count are off.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread but how do you set your activity type as treadmill? It does not show up on my list on Runtastic.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    All apps use formulae to figure caloric burn. It cannot guess to pick the right formula so it goes with what you input. If you tell it you're walking, it picks the formula for walking and goes with it. If you tell it you're running, it picks a different formula and uses it. Same for any other activity.

Getting upset at an app for solving for Y when that is what you told it to solve for, even though you did X instead is not the app's fault. It is the operator's.
  • danamack
    Options
    Sure you can blame the app, it can have a more sophisticated algorithm for calculation based on the gps information it is receiving. For example, after a run I am able to see all sorts of information detailing the elevation, however none of that is factored in to the amount of calories I earn for it. I earn the same amount of calories for a flat run than I do for hills at the same distance/pace.

Additonally, the interface should be cleaner. You shouldn't have to change your 'standard workout' in settings and it should be very clear what the 'standard workout' is. Sure, it's great if you never use it for anything but running but if you use it for multiple activities it becomes a pain in the butt to change it in settings every time.
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    And further more, the way to change your activity is a settings thing rather than select before you start your activity. When you start a gps exercise the app displays 'Standard Activity', not 'Running' or 'Walking' so you have to remember what you set your Standard Activity to which is silly. Most often I am running, but when I take my dog on long walks I do change it and if I forget to change it back, again in the settings so not a one cllick process, then my activity history and calorie count are off.

Then what you probably need is a HRM. It will calculate your burns more appropriately since you like to switch between walking and running.

And yes running burns almost double the calories as walking. The more your heart rate is up, the more calories you burn.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Sure you can blame the app, it can have a more sophisticated algorithm for calculation based on the gps information it is receiving. For example, after a run I am able to see all sorts of information detailing the elevation, however none of that is factored in to the amount of calories I earn for it. I earn the same amount of calories for a flat run than I do for hills at the same distance/pace.

Additonally, the interface should be cleaner. You shouldn't have to change your 'standard workout' in settings and it should be very clear what the 'standard workout' is. Sure, it's great if you never use it for anything but running but if you use it for multiple activities it becomes a pain in the butt to change it in settings every time.

Maybe you could consider using a different app? If Runtastic is not meeting your needs, it might be time to shop around...
  • danamack
    Options
    Then what you probably need is a HRM. It will calculate your burns more appropriately since you like to switch between walking and running.

And yes running burns almost double the calories as walking. The more your heart rate is up, the more calories you burn.
    [/quote]

Yes, a HRM would be the most accurate and at some point I'll probably bit the bullet and do it, but for now I like the simplicity of running with one device, and the phone houses all my music.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread but how do you set your activity type as treadmill? It does not show up on my list on Runtastic.

It's on the website; it's also the phone but the GPS location shouldn't change on a treadmill.
  • danamack
    Options
    Maybe you could consider using a different app? If Runtastic is not meeting your needs, it might be time to shop around...
    [/quote]

I have shopped around and used a bunch of different apps all of them have their pain points, so I stick with Runstastic...the devil you know and all. I do like that Runtastic feeds into MFP and I have paid a premium membership and have friends and a history on it that I like to reference, so I'm a bit locked in. Most the time I'll take the lower calories it gives me and not complain, but some days grr...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Today's cardio: 3.34 miles in 50 minutes.

Set Runtastic to walking as type: 223 Calories.
    Set Runtastic to treadmill as type: 508 Calories.

Any explanation?

How much do you weigh? A 200 pound person will net 200 calories walking that distance, and about 400 calories running that distance. It looks like Runtastic is trying to do the right thing, except it is making the usual error of double-counting RMR (almost all sites/services do!)

Running burns a LOT more net calories than walking...a LOT more.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    The point is that you should burn the same amount of calories whether you walk/speed walk or run 9miles. The calorie burn is the same for the distance.

It absolutely is NOT! Walking and running are much different biomechanical motions, and running a distance burns a LOT more than walking the same distance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

HRMs are completely inappropriate for guesstimating calorie burns for walking.
  • danamack
    Options
    The point is that you should burn the same amount of calories whether you walk/speed walk or run 9miles. The calorie burn is the same for the distance.

It absolutely is NOT! Walking and running are much different biomechanical motions, and running a distance burns a LOT more than walking the same distance.

I think my point is that at a certain point the speed you are moving is no longer a walking speed and I'd like the app to recognize that and adjust. Or at the very least calcuate that a 9/mile walking burns more calories than a 14/mile, and currently it does not.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    So you'd like it to do all of the inputs so you don't have to.