Does anyone feel fatter??

Options
Does anyone feel like they look fatter now that they're losing weight??? I've lost 20lbs so far and I take a pic of my stomach every 5lbs. I looked thinner 10lbs ago than I do now and it makes no sense! I can't figure out if it's because I am unable to exercise and it's just a ton of skin or what. I have an autonomic nervous system disorder, so I am losing all my weight just by calorie counting. Exercising makes me pass out or makes my HR go above 200 which is not fun at all.

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    is there any mild form of exercise you can do? even walking or yoga? if yoga is possible it will strengthen your core. If not, just keep doing what you are to lose the weight and try to find a professional who specializes in your specific disorder who can maybe help you make a plan.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I feel disgusting. But I'm not at my goal yet so I will just keep on keeping on
  • thegingerpirate
    thegingerpirate Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I know that I've lost weight, and I know that inches are beginning to come off but I just feel.... bloated? bigger? fatter than before? It makes no sense!
  • allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's that everything around the stomach is shrinking just a tab bit faster than the belly? The belly is notorious for being hard to slim. Cardio is usually the key in that section. I agree with knra_grl: is there any form of mild exercise that appeals to you and is feasible?
  • Mom2eio
    Options
    I have had those same feelings, but then I had my Pilates instructor start doing measurements about every 4-5 weeks and the inches are coming off, with the lbs, so I know it is working, but it can be frustrating at times when what you see in the mirror doesn't match where you think you should be. Just hang in there, as you loose weight it affects different parts of the body at different times. For example, my face and boobs slims the fastest but my tummy and tush don't show it until much later. They will catch up so I find patience and persistence is the key, good luck!!

I do love Pilates, as it is really low impact/intensity and my instructor provides many variations that are still beneficial to those with different needs, you might see if a local YMCA or gym has a program for beginners, it might be the what you need to get in a workout and keep your HR down.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Does anyone feel like they look fatter now that they're losing weight??? I've lost 20lbs so far and I take a pic of my stomach every 5lbs. I looked thinner 10lbs ago than I do now and it makes no sense! I can't figure out if it's because I am unable to exercise and it's just a ton of skin or what. I have an autonomic nervous system disorder, so I am losing all my weight just by calorie counting. Exercising makes me pass out or makes my HR go above 200 which is not fun at all.

It is all in your mind. Our brains take a while to recognize change, and we often become more judgmental of our bodies once we commit to losing. I can guarantee that other people do not see you bigger now than 20 pounds ago.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options

It is all in your mind. Our brains take a while to recognize change, and we often become more judgmental of our bodies once we commit to losing. I can guarantee that other people do not see you bigger now than 20 pounds ago.
    This.

I struggle with exactly this. I look in the mirror and my mind begins to doubt that I even lost anything and I question what I see almost as if it doesn't exist.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    is there any mild form of exercise you can do? even walking or yoga? if yoga is possible it will strengthen your core. If not, just keep doing what you are to lose the weight and try to find a professional who specializes in your specific disorder who can maybe help you make a plan.

I can walk for short periods of time and then have to sit or lay down. I am trying to save up for a rowing machine because that is one of the only exercises I seem to be able to do without much issue since I am seated and using more muscle than anything. I did best on that in cardiac rehab.