Peanuts - To eat or not to eat? That is the question!

Options
Don't know if I should eat 57g of Roasted and Salted nuts due to the high fat content... Any opinions? They are high in protein and low in calories but the high fat..... :? The ingredients are peanuts, peanut oil and salt. They are 330 calories.

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like almonds better any they are healthier and the roasted ones with sea salt are yummy
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I should eat 57g of Roasted and Salted nuts due to the high fat content... Any opinions? They are high in protein and low in calories but the high fat..... :? The ingredients are peanuts, peanut oil and salt. They are 330 calories.

High in good for you healthy fats! If 330 calories fits in your macros (protein, fat, & carbs) .....eat them.

I love peanut butter smeared on apple slices
  • allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love snacking on them! I really like the wasabi almonds Blue Diamond makes. I've heard pistachios are better for you though.

I'll just share the warning my nutritinist friend gave me (I don't know this on my own): Be careful not to eat too many because they can cause your blood sugar to bottom out. This leads to us being useless by the end of workday because we don't have any energy left!
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a little fat every once in a while. Eat peanuts today, just not every day. :drinker:
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options

High in good for you healthy fats! If 330 calories fits in your macros (protein, fat, & carbs) .....eat them.

I love peanut butter smeared on apple slices

I have 5 grams of fat left for the day after eating them....
  • Alairissa
    Options
    I love snacking on them! I really like the wasabi almonds Blue Diamond makes. I've heard pistachios are better for you though.

I'll just share the warning my nutritinist friend gave me (I don't know this on my own): Be careful not to eat too many because they can cause your blood sugar to bottom out. This leads to us being useless by the end of workday because we don't have any energy left!

How much is too much?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a little fat every once in a while. Eat peanuts today, just not every day. :drinker:

Actually, dietary fat is a very, very essential macro-nutrient. I prefer almonds to peanuts, but I do in-fact eat them every single day...about 30 grams worth. Nuts in general are high in heart heathy fats that raise your levels of good cholesterol and protect the heart. Dietary fat is also essential to hormone regulation, proper brain function, nervous system function, etc...fat doesn't make you fat...consuming more calories than you body requires makes you fat.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Actually, dietary fat is a very, very essential macro-nutrient. I prefer almonds to peanuts, but I do in-fact eat them every single day...about 30 grams worth. Nuts in general are high in heart heathy fats that raise your levels of good cholesterol and protect the heart. Dietary fat is also essential to hormone regulation, proper brain function, nervous system function, etc...fat doesn't make you fat...consuming more calories than you body requires makes you fat.

Very well stated. I love nuts and they are a healthy treat. I tend to limit them simply because of the salt, and I prefer them with salt.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Nuts in general are quite healthy and nutritious.

My main problem with nuts is they are also in general very calorie dense. One small package of nuts from the vending machine is like 250 calories. This is the equivalent of like 5 slices of Sunbeam white bread.

So I don't find them very satisfying for the amount of calories you get out of them and I'm always tempted to eat more. I tend to want to eat nuts by the handful and that's like 200 calories a handful. Five handfuls of nuts is half the day's calories.
  • allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How much is too much?

I'm not entirely sure. I usually try to count out one serving and stop there. It's easier to track than just eating from the container and satisfies that little taste I had for them.
  • Alairissa
    Options
    Thanks. I am taking this as a one time occurrence so I am eating them .
  • forever_winter18
    Options
    i love nuts especially almonds like the coco and cinnamon ones :)
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I eat some kind of nut every single day. Eating fat does not make you fat. Eat them.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    I eat a serving of a nut or seed EVERY day to help reach calories. fat is not your enemy...research fats....nuts are good fat just like avocados. High calories but good!