What do you consider to be "plus size" or "full-figured"?

Options
I'm wondering what the definition of plus size is. I'm extremely pear-shaped (42" hips versus 35-29) and have been labeled as "plus size" quite a bit lately. But whenever I refer to myself as such to other people, I'm met with snide remarks. I feel like I'm in some sort of sizing borderland--for instance, I can easily reach around my wrist with my index finger and thumb and have them touch, but regularly have to buy size 12 or 14 jeans.

Is anyone else in this boat? What, exactly, is "plus size"? I picture full-figured as bigger all over--big chest, big hips, maybe big waist. But definitely not "fat" (I hate that word, btw). Plus size seems to be such a grey area. I'm certainly not a size 6 and will never be below a 10 because that's just not how my bones are structured. I wonder--do I fit in anywhere? I'm not skinny but not overweight, per se. Seems like there's no category for people who are just "in-between."

What do you think? I think if women's sizing was determined like men's (waist measurement versus length, etc.) things would be a lot easier!

Replies

• Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    At 140 you cannot be a plus size. That's ridiculous. You are "curvy in some areas more than others." That's a lot of syllables but I LIKE it.!!!!
  • krislew
    krislew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    these, of course, are my own personal feelings...

I consider anything size 16 or higher plus size

Anything under size 10...skinny.

Anything size 10-14 NORMAL!!!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Agreed 100%

Plus sized--the people who have to shop in the 'plus sized' section of stores, 16 and bigger.
    I'm in a 22, which I just call fat. I long for the days of 16!
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I'm an English major--the more words, the better! I think I get labeled that way because I'm a shorty, to be honest, so when I gained those 15 pounds, it was more obvious than if I were, say, 5'6" or above (in which case, the weight gain would be a really good thing!)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The official definition of the clothing industry (well, as official as a bunch of unrelated companies can make it, anyway) is size 16 and above. It gets confusing because Plus-sized models are size 12. But they are modeling clothes that companies will make in size 16 and above. You could make a bit of an argument for size 14 being Plus-sized also because stores like Lane Bryant start at that size, but I think that's pushing it.

Full-figured is having an hour glass figure that is ample, IMO. Definitely, you have to have the big bust to be full-figured. But it's not something official and everyone is going to have a different idea on that one.
  • Thick80
    Thick80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree. Anything size 16 and up in WOMENS clothes is plus size. I started this with 47" hips and was juuuuust about ready to have to shop the plus size section and I've worked my *kitten* off to get to 42" hips (baby got back) and a size 10-12 and I'd say I'm average now. You are soo not plus size!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think you're plus sized if you have to wear clothing with a "w" after the size.

In the modeling world, if you're a size 6, you're plus-sized, so I would be plus-sized by their definition. :-)

I'll also point out that no one is going to say, "Oh yeah, you sure are!" when you refer to yourself as such, no matter what size you actually are.

Well, really rude, mean people might.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    One girl asked what dress size I was the other day and when I told her, 12/14, she got kind of p*ssy with me! :( So then I felt obligated to say, "No, no, it's because of my butt..." Lol.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Eh, so I guess I'm not normal then?? :tongue:

I don't see why you have to use such loaded words. I would consider size 10-14 to be average (because those are the sizes that most people fall in) and under size 10 to be small. But they are all normal. Heck, even plus-size people are normal if they are tall and have large frames.

But you can't really go by sizes. When I was a size 10, I was still overweight by BMI (and by eye-balling too). That's because I'm SHORT. In sizes 10-14, I was fat, not normal. There are people in size 2 (where i am) who are scrawny and there are people that size who are just right and there are people in a size 2 who are even a bit overweight. Yeah, they are really short and have tiny, tiny bones.
  • ArmyWife815
    Options
    I personally consider myself "plus size" when I can no longer walk in the store and get an out fit from the Misses department ... so I guess for me it is a size 20 or greater. In the Roaman's and other plus size catalogs I receive the sizes start at size 14W. None of them have size 12 in them. I don't consider size 12 or 14 as plus size but I am 5'5" and have a large frame. It just depends on your height, weight, and frame .... all play a part in what propels you in the" plus size" arena. A woman who is five feet tall may not want to weigh 180 pounds but it looks great on me.
  • rml_16
    Options
    When I wore a size 12, my BMI was 29.4 (30 is obese). At my current weight (and a size 6-8), my BMI is still overweight for my height.

If "normal" is overweight or obese, I'd rather not be normal. Thanks, though.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion - If you're buying clothing from the plus size department of a store (the clothing comes in 1X, 2X, etc and sizes by numbers are typically higher than a 16), then you're plus size. Although not pear shaped, I weigh a lot more than you do and I straddle the departments depending upon the clothing. I currently wear a 16 pant but I do have a pair of 18s. I can wear an extra large in some tops, others I have to go to the 1X. I think it's a misconception to label people skinny or fat based on clothing size - there are so many factors based on body fat & muscle, fitness level, bone density, even height. I know there are women who wear a size 4 that have a higher body fat percentage than women who wear a 14. I had a friend years ago when I was struggling to get into a 14 tell me she wore 10s - and she weighed a good 30 pounds more than I did. If I get to a 10, I won't be skinny or fat, I will just be ecstatic! :)
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses! It's really interesting to read such different opinions.

Now, I'm kind of in a pickle...my fiance likes where I am now, which is 140 and curvier than I've ever been. He thinks I was too thin when I met him (I weighed 115--admittedly, way too thin for my height). I wonder what a happy medium would be! I want to get down to 130 or even 135, but kind of maintain what I look like (with a little less stomach flab--I have a poochy belly). Hmmmmm.

I'd agree that "normal" is subjective--I think if it's natural and you look good, you're normal no matter the number. (But I still rip myself apart over numbers!)
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Now they're saying very tall women are considered plus size. Or was that always the case? I saw a model on the Today Show a few weeks ago and she was a plus size model but had lost weight and looked overall very thin. But is quite tall, so she said that's why she's considered plus size. Plus size doesn't = fat. But I also don't think you are at all plus size. That's crazy. But if you are and think you are then whatever! haha. I wouldn't worry too much about others. Just stay positive and love yourself for what you are/will be.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses! It's really interesting to read such different opinions.

Now, I'm kind of in a pickle...my fiance likes where I am now, which is 140 and curvier than I've ever been. He thinks I was too thin when I met him (I weighed 115--admittedly, way too thin for my height). I wonder what a happy medium would be! I want to get down to 130 or even 135, but kind of maintain what I look like (with a little less stomach flab--I have a poochy belly). Hmmmmm.

I'd agree that "normal" is subjective--I think if it's natural and you look good, you're normal no matter the number. (But I still rip myself apart over numbers!)
    I think you should do what makes YOU happy. He met you at 115 and loved you. If you want to get back to that (if it's a happy weight for you and healthy), then that's your choice.

My boyfriend didn't want me to lose when I weighed 166. He liked me at that weight. I hated it. I went with what made ME happy. It's my body.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would not consider you a plus size or even full figured. You sound pretty normal to me. If you shop in the Women's department a 14 is much larger than a typical Missy 14. Brands are also very different as well as style. I am fuller figured (@44/35/45 at 5'1") but find I wear a smaller size in lower cut pants (14 missy) as opposed to traditional cut at the waist. I definitely wear a 16 in petites - no way around it.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    Very true, rml. I think 130 (which I used to believe was "fat"--man, I was dumb!) is an ideal weight. Maybe 125, if I can manage it...but never 115 again. I was 19 when I met him, and I'm 21 now...makes sense that I'd naturally gain a few...right?
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    When I was a Size 18W, I worked as a Plus size fit model for a major designer (high end).

There were several of us Size 18s working for this Company. We all were Size 18W but were of different heights and dimensions.

I am now a size 6-8. Sure miss those fun days though.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Very true, rml. I think 130 (which I used to believe was "fat"--man, I was dumb!) is an ideal weight. Maybe 125, if I can manage it...but never 115 again. I was 19 when I met him, and I'm 21 now...makes sense that I'd naturally gain a few...right?

Oh, yes. You're so OLD! :happy:

I was very thin my whole life. At 22, I gained about 10-15 pounds overnight and then stayed at that weight for years and years. Then around 29 or 30, I blew up. My metabolism slowed way down.

I think it's great that your fiance isn't bothered by the weight gain. That says a lot. But like I said, YOU have to be happy and comfortable in your own body. I think anywhere within your healthy BMI that makes you happy is what you should aim for.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I AM ANCIENT. I'm seriously, like, a dinosaur. :P

I was terrified of what he'd think of me when I gained the weight because his ex gained about 60 lbs and he really lost interest in her (not only because of that--it was really minor--she was kind of a needy, whiny person anyway) but all my mind said was, "If you get fat, he will leave." I also had an ex who told me repeatedly that, at 110 lbs, I was fat!

My main reason for wanting to lose a few is because I'm edging toward the "overweight" category on the BMI...5 more lbs, lol. I think I'd feel less nervous if I even lost five lbs.