For the goal oriented (like me)

Options
I am a driven person. I am successful and when a task needs to be done, I tackle it, wrestle it to the ground, and conquer! But, this hasn't worked for me in the arena of diet and exercise.

I have been a yo-yo dieter and exerciser for years - i would go strong and be all or nothing. I would lose weight, run a half marathon, and then stop eating right and running because i had reached my goal. also, when i fell out of routine or had a couple days of slipping up, i would get depressed, discouraged, think i had failed, and then wallow in it, which of course only made the problem worse. NOT ANYMORE! While I admit I still struggle a bit with discouragement at times, overall, I have really changed my outlook on exercise and eating right and losing weight. I am learning to have grace for myself and to realize this is a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe a slip up means that it will take me a week longer to reach my ultimate goal, but who cares?!? it's not going to define me. It's not going to keep me down. Every day is a new day to make better choices. I write this to encourage you - that even if you're out of rhythm, keep pressing on. Make 1 more healthy choice today than you did yesterday. Don't ever give up!

A friend recently showed me this article, and I thought it really summed up my thoughts well. While it is in a business magazine, it has words to say for people like me, and maybe you too, in the area of diet and exercise.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230333. (I can't figure out how to make this show as a link, so I guess you will have to copy/paste if you are interested in the article, which is called "forget setting goals. Focus on this instead."