Where should my calories really be?

Options
My Fitness Pal says around 2000.

FitBit says around 1700 daily.

All the calculators on web say like 2500 to lose weight.

So where should I really be? I don't want to go too low and have my body stop burning because it feels like it starving but at same time isn't 2000 the normal suggestion for average people? I don't know where to be at?!

Replies

• lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What is your age, height and weight?
    I would also recommend 30% protein and at least 30% fat of your calories daily.
    Thanks!
  • lisajsund
    Options
    I'm 5'5", about 185 lbs, and 35 years old.
    My basal metabolic rate alone is about 1700 calories. I have found that I can lose eating a net of 2200 calories a day and lose weight. I also recently have dropped my carbs to 30% or less.
    So, you need to be eating above your BMR and try dropping your carbs - especially the white, refined carbs found in any processed foods.
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    310 pounds
    6" 3"

Where should I be?
  • lisajsund
    Options
    According to the following website (http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/), you have a BMR of 2730 calories. Depending on your activity level, the calories you burn daily will be higher.
    I would try to eat that amount at first, and if you are still hungry, add a couple hundred calories.
    I also eat most of my exercise calories back.
    This is a deficit already - you are likely burning a lot more than that.
    I burn around 2600 daily, before exercise.
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    That seems SO high. Doesn't seem like any deficit.

Right now I am comfy when I eat 2000 and don't feel like I am missing out too much.

2700 is more like where I was when I eat nothing but fast food.
  • lisajsund
    Options
    If you were eating nothing but fast food, I guarantee you were eating way more than 2700 calories. Possibly could've been twice that number.
    I don't use a Fitbit, I have a LifeTrak. It's what is telling me I burn 2600-2700 calories daily before exercise.
    If you are comfortable at 2000, you might still be losing muscle as opposed to fat.
    Have you ever had a body composition test done? You can get a more accurate BMR is you know what your body fat percentage is.
    According to my LifeTrak, my BMR is around 1680. That website I gave you tells me 1705, based on a BF percentage of 28%.
  • lisajsund
    Options
    Did you go to the gym and get that body fat test done?
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What do you have your fitbit on that it says 1700?

Like do you have it set to lose 2 ibs a week and MFP set to say lose one pound a week? That might be where your confusion is coming from.