Quick question!

Options
So I am not exactly new to my fitness pal, but I have a question. So I have lost weight and have been doing well. As of now, I have lost 25 pounds and have taken the recommendations of decreasing my calorie goals. It is now at 1380. I don't really like where this is heading. It has dropped between 70-90 calories each time. I don't think it is healthy and I think I may go crazy if it drops like this again.

So what is the reason for the drops? I know it's because I lost weight, it just seems dramatic especially because I am trying to lose a lot of weight and if it keeps dropping like this I will be below 1200 in another 20 pounds lost. (Which I know they wouldn't recommend, at least I hope)
Should I keep going with the recommendations? Part of me thinks this will be the last one I take. I may even boost it back up to 1460 where it was before the last recommendation.

Just looking for your thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Mine recently dropped also - as long as I get a bit of exercise to increase my caloric intake it doesn't really bother me - a 15-20 min walk will increase your cals enough to make up the loss in cals after the recalculating was done. It just means that I eat more of my exercise cals back than I did before.

I don't think MFP will ever put you below 1200 cals (it's not healthy).

If the loss in calories is too much then reduce your weight loss goal by 0.5 or 1 lb per week

edit - I am guessing your BMR lowers as you weight lowers = eating lower cals is needed for weight loss
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I am not exactly new to my fitness pal, but I have a question. So I have lost weight and have been doing well. As of now, I have lost 25 pounds and have taken the recommendations of decreasing my calorie goals. It is now at 1380. I don't really like where this is heading. It has dropped between 70-90 calories each time. I don't think it is healthy and I think I may go crazy if it drops like this again.

So what is the reason for the drops? I know it's because I lost weight, it just seems dramatic especially because I am trying to lose a lot of weight and if it keeps dropping like this I will be below 1200 in another 20 pounds lost. (Which I know they wouldn't recommend, at least I hope)
    Should I keep going with the recommendations? Part of me thinks this will be the last one I take. I may even boost it back up to 1460 where it was before the last recommendation.

Just looking for your thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance.

1200 is as low as MFP will ever go.............do you eat exercise calories back? As you get closer to goal....you can (should) adjust your weekly goal downward.

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

I (personally) won't take the cuts, because I am over 50 and need to preserve as much muscle mass as I can. It does mean slower weight loss.....but I'm ok with that.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The reason for the drop is that when you weigh less, you don't do as much work walking, climbing stairs, standing up, etc. as you used to, and you have less body tissue to maintain. So you burn less energy. MFP thinks, "She said she wants to lose 1 lb./week (or whatever). Since she weighs less and needs less energy now, I'd better drop her goal if she still wants to lose 1 lb./week."

If you keep eating the old calorie target, you'll still lose weight, just more slowly. Eventually you'll either reach your goal (or, if you had a lot to lose, an equilibrium somewhere above your goal weight).
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    yes it does drop, however you should also adjust your weight loss goal as you get closer to your goal weight :) I would recommend also checking out:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Good luck and congrats on the 25 lbs lost! :)