Nutella vs Peanut Butter

Replies

• Make your own nutella. Then you can control what is in it. It's really easy. Here's the base recipe I use, and you can adjust sugar content and sodium content to taste.... http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/diyboston/2013/03/easy_homemade_nutella_from_americas_test_kitchens_diy_cookbook.html

I got most of my ingredients from Trader Joe's
    Coconut Oil
    Cocoa Powder
    Hazelnuts (You can get them pre-roasted, or roast them yourself)
    Confectioner's Sugar.
  • Shoot.....eat both with a banana or an apple in between hehe
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Er.. I'd just go for both? Seriously, combine the two, it's pretty awesome.

Awesome, but very hard to control yourself once you indulge in the pure decadence.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    I tried nutella once. It was so sweet I thought it was hardly edible. Won't be trying again.
  • CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Posts: 196 Member
    Er.. I'd just go for both? Seriously, combine the two, it's pretty awesome.

Awesome, but very hard to control yourself once you indulge in the pure decadence.

^^ this is true. Good in small doses. :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    So, I've been reading a little about Nutella as a healthier alternative to peanut butter. It seems Nutella has 21g per serving of sugar in it and generally more calories. Anyone eat Nutella regularly? What are your thoughts? Is Nutella just good at marketing or is it healthy?
    Where did you read it was healthier than peanut butter? It isn't. It has far fewer nutrients.

And it tastes like plastic.

Just the advertising is where it looks like a "healthier" alternative. And reading people on here eating it from time to time. Therefore, my interest in it grew. Looking it up, it appears that it is not. Forgive me if I'm a bit ignorant. I'm new to this whole "eating healthy" thing. I'm trying, though!

They settled a 3 million dollar lawsuit in the US for advertising it as a health food. It is not. It is a processed treat that is fine if it fits in your calories but is probably not a great choice on a daily basis.
    The lawsuit was bogus. Go actually watch and listen to the ads. I don't know why Nutella settled other than maybe they thought it was cheaper than fighting it. At no point do the ads say that Nutella itself is a health food.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    *little rant*

I really dislike the Nutella commercials. I just want to smack the mom whose smearing the toast with Nutella and handing it to her kid for breakfast. Nutella has as much sugar as a candy bar!! Would that same mom (or any mom for that matter) give her child a candy bar for breakfast??? Umm, heck no! I know I wouldn't.

On topic:
    Like many others have said before me, it's not healthier than PB and I'm glad Nutella was sued over the "healthy" persona the early commercials led many to believe. The fact is, most people don't look at labels or they don't every carefully. So, any commercial that touts their product as healthy will just be accepted by the public without batting an eye. Until questions are raised most just accept it as it's presented.

I'm a total chocolate nut but, I really don't like Nutella. Now, I'm itching to try Hershey's version of it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Hershey's so I'm hoping it beats Nutella hands down. :D
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    One is just disgusting and the other is awesome!
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Nutella is just a dessert...peanut butter has more protein and less sugar. Lots of people have mentioned PB2, highly recommend it, it is wonderful, especially the chocolate flavor.

As for me I can not keep Nutella around because it is sooooo darn good:) I will eat the entire container:blushing:

Eat what you enjoy, stay within your calories and macros (if you count them)...you will be fine
  • So, I've been reading a little about Nutella as a healthier alternative to peanut butter. It seems Nutella has 21g per serving of sugar in it and generally more calories. Anyone eat Nutella regularly? What are your thoughts? Is Nutella just good at marketing or is it healthy?
    Where did you read it was healthier than peanut butter? It isn't. It has far fewer nutrients.

Just the advertising is where it looks like a "healthier" alternative. And reading people on here eating it from time to time. Therefore, my interest in it grew. Looking it up, it appears that it is not. Forgive me if I'm a bit ignorant. I'm new to this whole "eating healthy" thing. I'm trying, though!

They settled a 3 million dollar lawsuit in the US for advertising it as a health food. It is not. It is a processed treat that is fine if it fits in your calories but is probably not a great choice on a daily basis.
    The lawsuit was bogus. Go actually watch and listen to the ads. I don't know why Nutella settled other than maybe they thought it was cheaper than fighting it. At no point do the ads say that Nutella itself is a health food.

"Ferrero was sued in a class action lawsuit for false advertising that led some to believe that Nutella carries nutritional and health benefits, being touted as 'part of a nutritious breakfast'

People who hears the words "nutritious" regardless of the context will automatically assume that it's good for you. So yeah, it was false advertising.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Yikes! Nutella is basically frosting! Nutella packs a whopping 21 g of sugar per serving, as opposed to the PB that I use (natural, no sugar added) which only has 2 g. But you have to be careful with PB too. Depending on what kind you get, it can be full of trans fats. Also, Nutella contains palm oil which has a lot of saturated fat (4g as opposed to the 1.5 in my natural no-sugar-added kind). Also, PB has 4X as much protein: 8g per serving to Nutella's 2g. Peanut butter has more fat but also more fiber. In general (and again, depending on the PB that you choose), PB is a far better choice. But you know, Nutella tastes AWESOME, so for a treat every once in a while, why not?

this ^

snapfish- nutella melted in the microwave over vanilla ice cream.

total facial.
  • I've never eaten nutella.

I love my peanut butter. I eat the all natural kind that has no sugar.

I can't bring myself to consider something like the PB2. Just the thought of powdered peanut butter makes me want to gag. The only way I would ever purchase it is if I was stocking up for the end of the world.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    I've never tried Nutell and from what I read here I'm not going to. I will either love it (cake icing) and want to eat the whole jar or hate it (tastes like plastic) and then just wasted my money. I'll stick to PB&J on toast!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Healthier? Nope! Friggin' delicious? YES!!!

tumblr_m38o9mwjkX1qlbo6no1_500.gif

Do you eat the tendrils?
  • rml_16
    So, I've been reading a little about Nutella as a healthier alternative to peanut butter. It seems Nutella has 21g per serving of sugar in it and generally more calories. Anyone eat Nutella regularly? What are your thoughts? Is Nutella just good at marketing or is it healthy?

"Ferrero was sued in a class action lawsuit for false advertising that led some to believe that Nutella carries nutritional and health benefits, being touted as 'part of a nutritious breakfast'

People who hears the words "nutritious" regardless of the context will automatically assume that it's good for you. So yeah, it was false advertising.
    It is not false advertising. GO WATCH THE ADS. People being stupid is not advertising being false. In the ads, the "mother" states that she spreads the Nutella on whole wheat bread, so it helps get the family to eat healthier. It never, ever once says the Nutella itself is nutritious.
  • rml_16
    I've never tried Nutell and from what I read here I'm not going to. I will either love it (cake icing) and want to eat the whole jar or hate it (tastes like plastic) and then just wasted my money. I'll stick to PB&J on toast!
    My daughter likes it and she brought a jar home. I'd never had it so I tried it. Ick.

But luckily I didn't have to waste my money. :-)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I'm a big fan of PB2 lately, a powdered peanut butter. Its got 85% less fat calories than regular peanut butter.

^^This. Nuts are good sources of protein and fats, but high in calories, so I often can't add too much of them into my diet. I might have 2-3 pecan halves in a day, for example, because my calorie budget is pretty low.

OP, Nutella is comparable to other commercially branded nut butters. I say, if you like it, and you can meet your goals while eating it, then be my guest.
  • So, I've been reading a little about Nutella as a healthier alternative to peanut butter. It seems Nutella has 21g per serving of sugar in it and generally more calories. Anyone eat Nutella regularly? What are your thoughts? Is Nutella just good at marketing or is it healthy?

It is not false advertising. GO WATCH THE ADS. People being stupid is not advertising being false. In the ads, the "mother" states that she spreads the Nutella on whole wheat bread, so it helps get the family to eat healthier. It never, ever once says the Nutella itself is nutritious.

But she is spreading it on the bread stating that it gets the family to eat healthier which in people's mind means that nutella is healthy. Also she is saying that it's made with hazelnuts, milk and cocoa. All good, healthy ingredients.

We live in a very litigious society. It doesn't matter what the ad did or didn't say. If people feel they were duped by someone they will sue.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,138 Member

Then there's obviously other factors at work that you or I are not aware of, right?
  • ElizabethElane
    ElizabethElane Posts: 92 Member
    Pb for sure