Shoes

Options
Your feet go through a lot during weight loss and lots of exercise. I am looking for good support, great for walking or jogging in place and weight lifting and must be light weight. Any Suggestions. What shoes do you use and why?

Replies

• Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of New Balance RevLite. These are the shoes I got after going into a RunnersWorld store and getting a gait analysis. They looked at the way I run, the way my feet are shaped, and my arch and recommended several different shoes. I tried them all out, and ended up with the RevLite.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    definitely hit up a running store to get your gait analyzed. it does wonders for your feet.
    I just got some Mizuno wave inspired running shoes, but use vibram 5 fingers for lifting.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i agree - go to a store and get fitted; if they don't do some form of gait analysis, pick a different store!

also note, a running store is likely to tell you that you should have a pair of shoes dedicated to the repetitive pounding of walking/jogging, and a different pair for other physical efforts. you don't want to do yourself any unnecessary damage by ruining the support of your running shoes with, say, Zumba.

keep at it!
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Here we have a store called the BIG 5. I will check them out. Hope they will be good to go to. I also have a store called sports authority as well. They are trying to be something like the bass pro shops....
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are doing.

Runner - go to a running shoe specific store, so they can evaluate your form.
    Bodyweight/low resistance training - Any crosstrainer should be fine
    Weightlifting - Chuck's, or a shoe with a flat sole.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of New Balance RevLite. These are the shoes I got after going into a RunnersWorld store and getting a gait analysis. They looked at the way I run, the way my feet are shaped, and my arch and recommended several different shoes. I tried them all out, and ended up with the RevLite.

There's a store here that advertises the foot mapping technology. I paid a bit more than I would have if I went to another sports store but I wanted my feet to get mapped properly so I would know what features I should look for in other shoes. The assistant was very knowledgeable and asked what activities I did (Crossfit and casual gym sessions at the time). I found it to be the best way to go. I finally have shoes that support my high arches properly.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Here we have a store called the BIG 5. I will check them out. Hope they will be good to go to. I also have a store called sports authority as well. They are trying to be something like the bass pro shops....

The chain sporting goods stores usually don't have the gait analysis and fitting services of the smaller, running specific stores. Hunt out the stores that provide the service.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    definitely hit up a running store to get your gait analyzed. it does wonders for your feet.
    exactly this and only this.

brand and shoe model doesn't matter, unless they fit your feet.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

The chain sporting goods stores usually don't have the gait analysis and fitting services of the smaller, running specific stores. Hunt out the stores that provide the service.

Also Sports Authority is nothing at all like Bass Pro.

You'll probably have to get different shoes for your activities. Don't do squats and deadlifts in your running shoes.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

See if you can get the gait analysis done at a proper running or sports store and then order the appropriate shoes online. You can save quite a bit that way if it's a complimentary in-store analysis.