Advice for losing weight when you're at college?

Options
I'm a full time college student who lives on-campus, and I've been trying to lose weight for a while. Between classes, exams, etc, I don't have he time or resources to do any real strength exercises, though I am usually able to go for 30-60 minute walks every day or so. I also haven't actually been able to check my weight for a while since I don't have/can't afford a proper scale right nowIf anyone's got any advice I would appreciate it a lot.

Replies

• Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Between classes, exams, etc, I don't have he time or resources to do any real strength exercises, though I am usually able to go for 30-60 minute walks every day or so

How bad do you want it??? :huh:

I went to a military school, and had 21 credit hours every semester, 6 classes a day, mandatory dinners and lectures in the evenings...this is before things like homework, socializing, etc.

How do you not have resources for strength exercises? Pretty much every college in America has a gym that is free for students.

Worse case scenario, do body weight exercises. Burpees, pushups, pullups, etc. Know them and master them.

Not trying to flame, I just don't see how you don't have "the time or resources" to exercise properly. Priorities.
  • jagged95
    jagged95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ahhh college... the reason I got big in the first place. College, pizza, and beer. And kick-*kitten* mashed potatoes in the dining hall.

#1 Make smart food choices- LOTS of fruits and veggies, avoid lots of dressings and junk food sides. Choose an apple over chips etc. Plan your meals and snacks around your class schedule and pack stuff in your bag if necessary. Light string cheese and carrots! Tasty!

#2 You likely have access to a gym on campus, almost all universities have a fitness center. If not, then MAKE TIME. I worked full time and went to school and was on the newspaper - I assure you, you have to get creative, but make time. Take your books and read on the elliptical. Get a study/workout buddy and quiz each other taking turns doing push ups and crunches. Hold weights and do ab twists at home while you are taking a study break or watching TV.

#3 Bye bye booze. Beer will kill you in calories - if you do want to -partake, switch to a less manly, low-cal option and alternate with a LARGE glass of water. You'll be too full to drink more.

If you want to check in on your weight, go to the health center and ask if they can weigh you there. You're paying tuition, so don't let them give you any crap! Measure yourself as well- sometimes that it is a better gauge, especially if you're adding muscle tone.

Best wishes!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I always wish i could go back to college cause I feel like I had a TON of time to workout. on top of classes i played basketball and had a job. just gotta utilize time between classes. I had a 2 hour gap between my one morning class and my afternoon class so I would go to the fitness center and get my workout in.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You live on campus. Walk to the campus gym in the evenings or early mornings. You have to want it badly enough.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly about food choices, not exercise.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Ahhh college... the reason I got big in the first place. College, pizza, and beer. And kick-*kitten* mashed potatoes in the dining hall.

#1 Make smart food choices- LOTS of fruits and veggies, avoid lots of dressings and junk food sides. Choose an apple over chips etc. Plan your meals and snacks around your class schedule and pack stuff in your bag if necessary. Light string cheese and carrots! Tasty!

#2 You likely have access to a gym on campus, almost all universities have a fitness center. If not, then MAKE TIME. I worked full time and went to school and was on the newspaper - I assure you, you have to get creative, but make time. Take your books and read on the elliptical. Get a study/workout buddy and quiz each other taking turns doing push ups and crunches. Hold weights and do ab twists at home while you are taking a study break or watching TV.

#3 Bye bye booze. Beer will kill you in calories - if you do want to -partake, switch to a less manly, low-cal option and alternate with a LARGE glass of water. You'll be too full to drink more.

If you want to check in on your weight, go to the health center and ask if they can weigh you there. You're paying tuition, so don't let them give you any crap! Measure yourself as well- sometimes that it is a better gauge, especially if you're adding muscle tone.

Best wishes!

Yep, all of this.

It's been ages since I was in college but I also worked a full-time job. If some of us who worked FT and went to college FT could make time for it, so can you.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Count calories using MFP, as accurately as you can. If you can't weigh yourself, get a measuring tape, or pay attention to how your trousers fit. If you're not losing weight, eat a little less.

This NYT article discusses an effective 7-8 minute bodyweight circuit that can be done using only a wall, a floor, and a chair:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout

(Ideally you would do 2-3 circuits, for around 15-23 minutes of exercise.)

And follow up everyone else's advice to check out the campus gym. Where I teach, there's a small fee for students to use the new fitness center, but it's really cheap. And the locker room should have a scale.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Count calories using MFP, as accurately as you can. If you can't weigh yourself, get a measuring tape, or pay attention to how your trousers fit. If you're not losing weight, eat a little less.

This NYT article discusses an effective 7-8 minute bodyweight circuit that can be done using only a wall, a floor, and a chair:

And follow up everyone else's advice to check out the campus gym. Where I teach, there's a small fee for students to use the new fitness center, but it's really cheap. And the locker room should have a scale.

I can think of a couple of work outs I've done in college involving a wall, the floor and a chair...
  • AngelUpSideDownCake
    Options
    Definitely check and see if your school offers a gym. I think even my school does and I'm in a small satellite campus as the main campus is still under construction (Texas A&M San Antonio :D). I take 15 credit hours and have a full time job outside of work. I have regular access to workout equipment, but I don't believe it's necessary. If you have the desire you can find the time. Recording what I eat helps a lot. I also carry a water bottle with me everywhere. Not only do I save calories by not buying sodas and juices, I also save money! I make all my own meals, but you may not have access to that. My sister attend Texas A&M Corpus Christi and lives on campus. When the gym is closed she goes to the beach and works out there doing body weight exercises. I recommend seeing if your campus has any fitness clubs or seeing if there are any peers who you could start working out with. Running is a good one that a lot of people are more into. I always had trouble running regularly until I started running with a friend of mine. Now I run twice a week early in the mornings with him and have been doing this for over six months now. :) It takes a little discipline, but once you get the habit down, you'll feel amazing!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Try the same thing you did before going to college. If you were anything like me, I was broke so I could not afford to eat and actually lost weight. I also did not have a car, so had to walk everywhere. But if you are fortunate to get food...get healthy ones to snack on during late night cram sessions...
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone else said. And if you don't think that you don't have the time now . . .well it does not get easier. Wait till you get a job and your metabolism starts to slow down and you can't afford a gym membership, because you are starting your career at the bottom.

Take advantage of the athlectic facilities and make good food choices. Exercise helps you to think more clearly as well. Plus at your age your body is set for peak performance. Start those good habits now. Best wishes to you and enjoy school. Life is good!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You think your time is tight now.. add a job and kids.....

I carried over 30 credit hours, a minimum of 3 hours of practice time a day, a part time job and still worked out an hour a day in college. (either the on campus gym for weights, cardio video or running)..... I was gone from 7:30 am till 10:30pm... EVERY DAY. I still had a social life and had fun... not as much as some people, but plenty.

College isn't really an excuse. You have more free time than you will ever have in your whole life.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options

I can think of a couple of work outs I've done in college involving a wall, the floor and a chair...

Bahahahahahhah! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • amilabdallah
    Options
    It's all about meal planning. You just need to pay attention to what you are consuming and how much you are consuming. Also be aware that it's very easy to let your body go into starvation mode during classes. Don't let yourself go hungry as this tends to lead to consuming large meals at the campus dining hall. Instead, make sure you carry around some light snacks in the 100 - 200 calorie range to consume between classes to keep your metabolism running all day. Not only will you burn more, but it will give you more energy to help you pay attention during class.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You have to want it. If you want it enough, you find time.

And I honestly do not see how you don't have time unless there is a bunch of stuff you did not put in your first post. If I can make time while in grad school, volunteering at 3 places, AND being my mother's only caregiver while she battled cancer (a fight she lost so she was in bad shape through most if that) then you can. So, stop the excuses.

Yes, my "advice" is blunt. But it is the type of advice that got me off my butt.
  • SpiderByte
    Options
    The fitness and weight room at my college is only for people on the sports teams here. I guess I kind of assumed that was normal for most colleges. At sports games we don't even have our own basketball court, we go to a neighboring school and use theirs for home games. In regards to checking it at a health center, for some reason we don't seem to have one. I mean, we probably have emergency bandages and etc somewhere but no dedicated health office or anything.

I should have mentioned that It's not exactly a big campus or anything. It's not like Boston College where it spans several blocks or anything.
  • sentaruu
    Options
    you pay the same tuition as the people on the sports teams?
  • SpiderByte
    Options
    I don't see how that's relevant.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

He/she probably pays more, tbh.
  • sentaruu
    Options
    I don't see why the workout equipment wouldn't be accessible for someone not in sports.

my tuition comment was my way of saying you pay to go to school there just like they do, why shouldn't you have access to the equipment? I would raise hell and tell them to go pound sand and use the equipment.