What burns more calories?

Options
160 full minutes of non stop cardio exercise, or 16, ten minute non stop cardio exercises spaced out throughout the day? For arguments sake, will say 10 minutes every half hour for 8 hours.

My theory is spacing it out keeps your body active, where someone might be sedentary most of the day.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    160 full minutes of non stop cardio exercise, or 16, ten minute non stop cardio exercises spaced out throughout the day? For arguments sake, will say 10 minutes every half hour for 8 hours.

My theory is spacing it out keeps your body active, where someone might be sedentary most of the day.

There's no meaningful difference, assuming the same intensity in both cases.

Which may or may not be easy to manage.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    The latter. I used to do 10 minute cycling sprints randomly throughout the day. I got much faster. If its the same intensity itll be a negligible difference.. If youre thinking you're gonna get 10 magical after burn periods, you're not. I mean, surely it'll be different, bet its not like your onto some magical loophole worth investing time in. The real benefit will be convenience and the ability to go harder.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

There's no meaningful difference, assuming the same intensity in both cases.

Which may or may not be easy to manage.

Yes, for arguments sake, stationary cycling same intensity every 10 minutes. Those 20 minutes inbetween of coo ldown has to count for something.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes, for arguments sake, stationary cycling same intensity every 10 minutes. Those 20 minutes inbetween of cooldown has to count for something.
    No.

The 16 showers might burn more calories though....
  • nytrifisoul
    Options
    If no difference, what makes this any different then HIIT? For arguments sake, you go hard as you can for 10 minutes and rest for 20, rinse repeat.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options
    Yes, for arguments sake, stationary cycling same intensity every 10 minutes. Those 20 minutes inbetween of cooldown has to count for something.
    No.

The 16 showers might burn more calories though....

Haha, Ironically, this is the reason i started doing 10 minute intervals. I seem to only develop a sweat on my forehead after 10 minutes.