Need some advice on how to maintain weight

Options
Hi. I've been maintaining my weight quicte successfully for about 3 years. I am working out intensely 4 times a week. And I have noticed my appetite went up like crazy in past months. So I am eating more (still healthy food but more) and crave sweets like crazy. Any advice? Because my clothes gets tighter and I am not liking it:smile:

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? And are you monitoring your food intake?

You're probably craving sweets because your body needs more energy to keep up with your workouts. If you're doing strength training you could be gaining muscle which is making your clothes tighter. If you're doing cardio you'll need to eat your exercise calories back. Just really focus on foods that are satisfying - a "healthy" diet is often low in fat, and may also be lacking in protein or fiber, all of which add up to satiety. So does drinking water! Up your water goals!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    How is your protein? When I increased mine to 100 grams per day, my empty carb/sugar cravings went away. Protein also helps to build muscle, which is what we are aiming for. The only reason I even track my food is to ensure that I get in my protein everyday.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I want more in cold weather. Always have. I eat much less in spring and summer. Is it cold where you are?

I eat more and WANT more when my carbs are over 40% of my calories. That's because if they get higher than that it's more processed carbs. Insulin spikes.

Finally, calorie needs drop with age but desire for calories does not.
  • CarlHelgesson
    Options
    Try to eat your carbs around your workouts, especially the post workout meal. You will then use the benefits of you insulin when you really need it - to refuel your muscles.

Eat more proteins - that will make you feel fuller, cut som on the carbs instead.

How about your fats? Try to change some of the bad fats to healthy fats, if possible.

Good luck!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying to eat your carbs either before or after your workout.
    I also found that when I worked out very intensely, my appetite shot through the roof and I would have insane cravings and eventually end up binging. Maybe try and tone down the workouts, or look to your diet and whether you are getting adequate fat and protein. I make sure to get a good balance of healthy carbs, fats and protein with my main meal, and snack on nuts, eggs, Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese and fruit at other times. I found a good tactic was to have some chocolate milk or chocolate soya milk, or a hot, milky drink after my workout worked quite well to control the desire to overeat. It provided carbs, fat and protein in one shot.