taco night?

Options

Replies

• Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a great receipe for tacos!! But not on me. I'm bumping to remind me :)
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I make them with Yves Mexican ground round. Saves a ton of calories and isn't oily gross like meat can be.
  • MJ1975CA
    Options
    sweet potato tacos

(using my sweet potato hash recipe)
    1 cup small diced sweet potato
    1/2 cup diced red and green bell pepper
    1 tablespoon diced white onion
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tsp garlic olive oil
    Put all ingredient in skillet, cook on low/medium heat for 30 or more minutes. I cook them until they are crisp on the outside of the sweet potato. Be patient with the cooking time, it really makes a difference!!! I put the cooked ingredients in Mission white corn tortillas for tacos (add your favorite taco toppings!).
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    For everyone saying lean beef and low fat cheese, sour cream etc, what makes that any healthier?

Who said healthier? It's lower calories. Much easier to fit two 160 calories tacos in my day than two 300 calories ones. Plus I can hardly tell the difference in taste when it's all mixed in anyway... It might be less filling, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

Anything where you season the meat a lot, switching to turkey or chicken is kind of a no brainer for me. I agree, tastes exactly the same and I prefer it being less greasy. When I have a steak I have a steak. When I'm making tacos, or chili or something, no reason not to go with the turkey.
  • judiath1967
    judiath1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you make califlower tortillas?
  • gklingel52
    gklingel52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Easy Chicken Tacos
    Place 3-4 skinless chicken breasts in crock pot. Add 1 cup of your favorite salsa. Cook on low for 5 hours or 3 hrs on high. If chicken is frozen, add 30 mins. When done, shred the chicken and start making tacos!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I find the problem isn't the fillings--I've always made mine full of veggies and lean protein, just because we like the veggies and we often make tacos to finish up a roast chicken or turkey--but the tortillas, especially the gigantic flour tortillas I used to use. So I've switched to small corn tortillas, or just eat a scoop of the filling.
  • sweet29one
    Options
    I make my tacos with ground turkey. Has hardly any to no grease.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Taco's are a staple for me.... for my meat I use a mixture of 97% lean ground beef and ground pork.

The trick is to make sure you have lots of veggies to add to the taco's. Helps with flavor, and if you don't want the shells, the more veggies the better to keep it filling.
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mmm love tacos! Could make your own taco seasoning and i use cheese shells instead of tortillas. Just had them tonight!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I just eat them and enjoy it. They are not bad for you, even with the shell. I even use the full fat cheese and sour cream.
  • spunk_master_flex
    Options
    If you really want to enjoy taco night, be sure to use protection.

Grease splatter is no joke!
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    If you really want to enjoy taco night, be sure to use protection.

Grease splatter is no joke!

I hate it when it drips down my chin.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    We have taco Tuesday every week at our house. Really it's Mexican food. Sometimes I make the crunchy American tacos, chicken or steak fajitas, you can put chicken breast with salsa in the crockpot and make shredded chicken tacos. My faveorite is to make shredded beef tacos using bottom round roast a can of beef consumee one orange juiced crushed red pepper and an onion halved. Either simmered on the stove, or in a low oven or crockpot. Shred when done. I sometimes make a home version of cilantro lime rice, and corn salsa like chipotles.
    The shredded beef tacos are my go to dish when I need to prepare a meal for a family. With all the toppings there is usually something for everyone.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I make crepes with chickpea flour and use them like soft taco. The chickpea flour has half the carbs and double the protein of a flour soft taco.
    Whisk together
    2 large eggs
    1.25 c carbmaster skim milk
    1c chickpea flour
    3tbs melted butter
    Pinch of salt
    Cook over medium in greased small nonstick pan
    Makes 20 6" crepes
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who weighs everything on their tacos? I weigh out one serving of everything and try to fit it in one taco.
  • drattedfatbody52
    Options
    I cooked chicken tacos for my family tonight. Only chicken breast to keep the meat lean, but made a large skillet of green, red, orange bell peppers, half a yellow banana pepper, and two kinds of onion stir fried in a little butter and a little bit of olive oil. Along w/ small corn tortillas and low fat black refried beans, with tomato salsa, they were awesome. Just having these once a month or so will keep the mexican food cravings at bay.

Obviously, I'm not stressing over the particulars, just eating what we like on occasion.

Some nights it's just bean burritos and other's it is breakfast burritos for supper.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I make a taco salad - I skip the shells/wraps all together. I sometimes add cheese, sometimes don't.

So basically lettuce, hamburger, seasoning, salsa, sour cream... yummy!

If I do want a real one - I get the 80 calories wraps!
  • cjsroute24
    cjsroute24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make my own taco seasoning so there is no salt or MSG. Since I don't use cheese (although dh and kids do) and none of us use sour cream, really the most unhealthy part is the taco seasoning packet.

So, I make my own.

There are a lot of recipes up on allrecipes - try it!!
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    plain black beans
    refried beans
    fat free sour cream
    romaine lettuce as holder instead of taco shell/tortilla